Join Early Retirement Today

Yes I Am Retired
Old 02-26-2009, 10:48 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Yes I Am Retired

I always wanted to be retied by 58 years old, but things did not work out that way. I retired from the Air Force in 1988 after 22 years. Went straight to work and only one other job for the rest of the time. Then I gained weight, lost my previous good health, developed rheumatoid arthritis heart disease and it became difficult to work. So at 62 I am now medically retired and bored stiff.

Since September last I am crawling the walls. It is a very difficult time for someone who was never unemployed.

Thanks for having to the community
YesIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2009, 01:24 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

You have got to get some hobbies going. I am semi-lucky that if I can afford it....I will be retiring at 54 in a little over 2 years. Between taking care of the house/yard, golfing (if I can afford it), bicycling, running, walking, reading, playing the mandolin.....I don't think I will be too bored. Both my wife and I are tooooo private and I am hoping the golfing/biking will get us in with some other people. If we don't make the effort, we end up being by ourselves all the time, but we kind of like it that way as well. We just have taken it too far.
F4mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 05:34 AM   #3

Welcome to the board. I kind of feel for ya since you are retired at 62 for health reasons. My guess is that if it had not been for the health issues you would still be slugging away at it.

Usually with introductory post like your you will attract the standard laundry list of activities to make your retirement meaningful. I am not going to do that. As your post stated you have health problem severe enough to cause you to stop working. So your assignment, should you choose to accept, it is to restore your good health. You now have to time, and I presume resources, to do that. A good diet and fitness plan will go a long way to getting your life back. Google Sparks People this is a good place to start. Good luck.

Never mind here is the link: http://www.sparkpeople.com/
Its free, check it out.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:21 AM   #4
Gone but not forgotten

Welcome , I retired at 59 then worked one day a week until 60 when I fully retired . Like you I need to keep busy so I sell on ebay . Also I totally agree with catsubabe that you need to work on your health . The Arthritis foundation sponsors aqua aerobics for arthritic people at various locations . It will get you out of the house and help with your health issues .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:51 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sorry to hear about your health prolems. I followed pretty much your career track, but have been fortunate to stay in good health (knock on wood). My mother has had rheumatoid arthritis most of her life and is now 94, so I hope you don't think it's the end.

I don't know how much you can get around, but if you're able to leave the house I saw in a base paper the other day that the retiree office was looking for volunteers to staff their desk for a couple of hours at a time a few days a week. Might be a good way for you to remain in touch with others, while providing an important service, helping other retirees and widows with their benefits.
FinallyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:04 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What caused the weight gain?
Old 02-27-2009, 08:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
What caused the weight gain?
Laziness and with this arthritis both rheumatoid and osteo exercise is relly difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinallyRetired View Post
Sorry to hear about your health prolems. I followed pretty much your career track, but have been fortunate to stay in good health (knock on wood). My mother has had rheumatoid arthritis most of her life and is now 94, so I hope you don't think it's the end.

I battle the disease every day and though I know it will not get better, I continue to try

I don't know how much you can get around, but if you're able to leave the house I saw in a base paper the other day that the retiree office was looking for volunteers to staff their desk for a couple of hours at a time a few days a week. Might be a good way for you to remain in touch with others, while providing an important service, helping other retirees and widows with their benefits.
I understand and have tried to volunteer at the VA but my insurance company make it impossible as the profess that if you can volunteer, then you can work and will pull you disability in total. I is just a shame as there are many like me that would love to do this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Welcome , I retired at 59 then worked one day a week until 60 when I fully retired . Like you I need to keep busy so I sell on ebay . Also I totally agree with catsubabe that you need to work on your health . The Arthritis foundation sponsors aqua aerobics for arthritic people at various locations . It will get you out of the house and help with your health issues .
I do go for infusions and therapy through the VA continuously.

I worked hard for years and did not miss days ever. As the arthritis progressed it became difficult to walk and do normal everyday things. Doctors encouraged me to retire for several years, but I could not see myself doing that. The last years or so I missed work for numerous therapy sessions and doctors appointments. There were days that I just could not function. I finally and regretabally left work. But it had to be done.

Mine is not a sad tale, just the fact that it is difficult with the inflamation and all to function. I have been an avid woodworker for many years and have a wonderful wood shop. It is just difficult and sometines dangerous to work with the machines.
I offered my story not complaining, but just as introduction. The transition is difficult, but absolutely possibile. Thanks to all and it is forums like this that broaden ones knowledge, generate interest, offer community and increase knowledge.
Thanks to all and thanks to the founders of this board
Old 02-27-2009, 10:47 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sorry for your health issues and boredom. Sounds like you really have tried to stay active but just can't anymore. My Dad had rheumatoid arthritis so I know that is a tough one. He rode his stationary bike as much as possible and kept low weight dumbbells near by just to keep his arms active. My Aunt keeps herself busy by reading one book after another. She's 97. That's the key, keep your mind active. And as you know, there are tons of internet forums to explore. Maybe you could start some kind of blog.

Hang in there and best of luck.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by YesIam View Post
Laziness and with this arthritis both rheumatoid and osteo exercise is relly difficult.

I understand and have tried to volunteer at the VA but my insurance company make it impossible as the profess that if you can volunteer, then you can work and will pull you disability in total. I is just a shame as there are many like me that would love to do this

Thanks to all and thanks to the founders of this board
Solved this one problem for a friend by having the organization write that it understood that the volunteer could not worked fixed hours or be reliable due to the disability but that any help cheering up Vets was appreciated.

Sent it to the Ins company to see if they object to the insured veteran cheering up vets when and if he could. Takes a brave company to object.
Emeritus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 01:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeritus View Post
Solved this one problem for a friend by having the organization write that it understood that the volunteer could not worked fixed hours or be reliable due to the disability but that any help cheering up Vets was appreciated.

Sent it to the Ins company to see if they object to the insured veteran cheering up vets when and if he could. Takes a brave company to object.
Actually I have a call into the ins co now waiting for them to answer that exact question. It is odd that people and systems become so involved with rules that they forget to think for themselves. The company made those rules for the obvious fact that some I am sure tried to beat the system at some point. Creating hard fast rules and putting them in a list just does not stimulate anyone to think about options.