You only live twice, from Japan with love

Radiophilejapan

Recycles dryer sheets
:(Yes, I'm a James Bond's fan:cool:. I also like vintage radios:blush: and I believe this interest alone could keep me busy all day. The darn job gets in the way, I suppose some of you are familiar with the feeling. Seriously, I'm 58 with a 52DW, lving in Tokyo fairly comfortably at the expenses of furhter growing my nest egg:(. I'm planning to move back to US (considering Sacramento) by 2011, that is if my employer doesn't execute one of its own evil plans first:mad:. This site is awesome - the more I read the posts, more I identify myself with the community. Lots of dilemmas reported and discussed here are the very same as mine (someone been reading my personal diary?:mad:). My first dilemma is to work or not, and how much (of both). My first life, that is corporate life is not an option - more because of the corporate than me:(, but I started to think I could and deserved to use some change:angel:. Second carrier? Like many other people - I believe, I'm looking for something not stressful, nice environment, fun if possible, at the least interesting, that generated a few extra bucks for the discretionary spending:whistle:. Failing this, I'll be onto my radios, and along with it I'll have to weather the Wrath of WD, and also a reduced standard of living, and here comes the question of what I really need to retire comfortably from my own standpoint? I ran many calculations, including the charts on FireCalc, but I worked all my life, retiring is a new world where my current paradigms won't probably apply. I really liked the thread on "what did you today", it helps to try to picture that world. I'll keep reading the threads on and will post when I feel I can contribute some. Thanks for all the fish, and you all have a great journey in your second lives.
RJ

RJ, welcome to the forum!

One of the essential retirement calculations is to estimate your living expenses. When you have a number you're comfortable with for that, it's pretty much just math to get to how much you need to have.

But, as you say, it's a new paradigm, and not easy to estimate.

But hang in there with us. You'll find the full spectrum of retirement budgets on here and hopefully joining in our discussions will help you refine your own needs and wants.

Remember, despite 007, you only live once.

Glad to have you aboard!

Coach

Welcome!

Over ten years ago I was in a hotel elevator in Rio de Janeiro, when the door opened and Roger Moore walked in. And raised an eyebrow or two! He was aging but still very handsome. I think he was in town for a Unicef event and the 20th anniversary of Moonraker.

YouTube - James Bond Moonraker Cable Car & Ambulance Scene

And yes, the scenery really is awesome!

Rio and Roger all in one day? Be still my beating heart. :p

Working, saving, figuring, figuring some more, yeah I know.... Try living on a budget now that you think you will have to stick to in retirement. Welcome to the forum RJ. :)

I think part of your problem is not using paragraphs.
Once you begin to use them you will separate the issues, identify, prioritize and solve them.

thanks for the replies everyone.

Coach, I'll certainly keep reading and learning from this community. Thanks for the encouragement.
Rio and Roger Moore...double dip of fortune indeed, Meadbh and BbbmI. I have always preferred Sean Connery - as an actor of course. Wasn't there a movie made in Rio with another Brit actor who used to play secret agent's roles?
Dex - ouch. But you probably hit the bullseye - my anxiety may be coming from lack of prioritizing the issues, so I'm not sure what to attack first. Again, the experience that other members of this site are going through may shed some lights on this for me. Thanks.
See you all around.
RJ

Moemg

That's what I wanted to do when and if I retired fully FI. Put up a website to sell spare parts and literature for collectors like me. Unfortunatelly I have found out from hobby colleagues that it can support the hobby but not a family. Your suggestion is very enticing, though, and I'll certainly give it more thought, maybe beefing up the website with other products and/or services, etc, at least until I filled the gap to SS/Medicare. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom