Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-17-2011, 08:41 AM   #21
Dryer sheet wannabe

@ HawkeyeNFO: thanks for the info/tips. what is on a "page 13"? our S1 shop can get whatever paperwork is needed, but I'm not sure what to tell them I need.
gsmolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2011, 03:07 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeNFO View Post
Do not forget to get a signed page 13 from your admin department, or whatever the equivalent is in your service. The VA website approval is NOT the only thing you need.
@HawkeyeNFO, I'm not familiar with the referenced "page 13" either, but I suspect it is a service specific requirement...as I understand it, each service attached their own requirements for soldiers/sailors/airmen/marines to take advantage of the transferability option. I'm an Army guy, and I signed up to transfer benefits a couple of years ago using the link I've included below and never filled out any other paperwork. I received confirmation that I was approved shortly after applying, and when I log onto the Transfer of Educational Benefits (TEB) website, I get the following message:

Message from Your Service Component:
****Note: The Approval Confirmation Form is not currently available in TEB. For confirmation of your approval, you can print the TEB screen showing "Status: Request Approved". Or you can contact your Service Representative and they can generate the Approval Confirmation Form for you.****

@gsmolin, the following website has some great information and also includes the link to the site where you sign up for the transferability option: Defense.gov - Special Report - Post 9/11 GI Bill.
av8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:42 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmolin View Post
@ HawkeyeNFO: thanks for the info/tips. what is on a "page 13"? our S1 shop can get whatever paperwork is needed, but I'm not sure what to tell them I need.
Your S1 or adjutant should know what paperwork is needed. In the USN, the pg 13 just is your signed acknowledgement that you have additional time to serve in order to earn the full benefits of the 9-11 GI bill. We had some reservists in my squadron who tried to get their benefits for kids' college, and were told "no" until they had the signed page 13 copied from their service record. It delayed things a couple of months for them, but they are now good to go.
HawkeyeNFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:11 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmolin View Post
If you have the contact info for those docs you know I'll contact them. More perspectives are always welcome.
I guess if you're a PM&R then you'll have lifetime employment. If you don't get jerked around by the Reserves then you'll have great cross-training experiences between your civilian & military practices. Deserat can help you adapt to tolerating the shift to more leadership & responsibility billets instead of being hands-on.

Check your private messages for the e-mail addresses of the other two docs. I don't think you can PM back until you have 10 posts, so if PMs aren't working for you then you can e-mail me or contact me through The-Military-Guide.com.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:47 AM   #25
Dryer sheet wannabe

@ Nords: Thanks. I'll contact these folks and the info is much appreciated.
@ HawkeyeNFO & av8er: thx for the clarification.
gsmolin is offline   Reply With Quote