Join Early Retirement Today

0% FOR LIFE!! BT credit card games
Old 01-24-2007, 09:19 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

0% FOR LIFE!! BT credit card games

Yowzers! I found ANOTHER 0% for LIFE offer

Citi Diamond Card, offer F1K7, apply online only

0% on BTs til 05/07, then make two purchases ($1 will suffice) and get 0% for that month, ongoing forever if you wish

I just got about 12k in credit, so I will be taking 12k from an investment property HELOC, and moving it to the cc

THEN, I will pay the minimum pymts each month with the HELOC, minus the couple bucks I normally pay...I have to knock down the principal somewhat!!

THEN I will set up a subscripton paypal transfer of $1 from this card to my old lady's paypal account, 3 times/month, making it a breeze to keep the 0%

That'll save me almost 1000 bucks in the next year alone! (9% current heloc rate)
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: 0% FOR LIFE!! BT credit card games
Old 01-25-2007, 07:39 PM   #2

i can imagine that someone here could make a LOT of money with a nice 20-30k line, BT to your checking acct, deposit in a MM at 5+% and pay the loan back from there....

thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 08:33 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Do you have a link to this one?

I was checking out Citi's site and it shows 0% for 12 months on the Diamond / Diamond Preferred AMEX / Diamond Preferred Rewards.

I figure my credit is good enough that I could take advantage of something like this and do some serious floating.
Peaceful_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 08:48 PM   #4

Here's the link:

www.apply.citicards.com, then enter f1k7.

The deal is for 0% through 5/1/2007, and then as long as you make 2 purchases each month, the 0% remains on the card.

I might have to get a couple of these cards as well...

I just applied for eight other citicards in the last week - that could make me ineligible for this new card

Gotta love the free money. Based on my tax statements I just got, I made somewhere north of $4000 last year. Most of that free from my 7% state tax! I get to cheat the credit card company, then cheat the govt!
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 10:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
The deal is for 0% through 5/1/2007, and then as long as you make 2 purchases each month, the 0% remains on the card.
So the real question becomes (for those of us without significant debts), is there
a way to convert a "balance transfer" into cash, which could be used to purchase
T'Bills, or (dare I say) Penfed 6.25% CDs ? I guess the latter would be risky,
since Citibank can change their terms at any time, and you'd be forced to redeem
the CD prematurely ...

JohnEyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 07:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed
i can imagine that someone here could make a LOT of money with a nice 20-30k line, BT to your checking acct, deposit in a MM at 5+% and pay the loan back from there....

Been doing this for years. This "system" actually provided 100% of
my personal income for quite a few months. FYI - I currently
hold 17 cards with high limits. If I don't have high limits, then,
obviously the card is of no use.

An aside. This seems to me to be the biggest no-brainer ever;
yet when I have explained it, many people just don't seem to
get it. I have an opinion (of course) but will let you draw your
own conclusions.

JG
Old 01-26-2007, 08:35 AM   #7

What is the balance transfer fee?

How do you transfer $$ from this CC to a checking account? Don't you usually have to provide a CC number that you're transfering from (to this new CC)?

-CC
Old 01-26-2007, 08:46 AM   #8

BT fees vary from $0 to $250 on citicards. Most other cards are $75. There are a handful of citicards (7 at my last count) that have the BT fee waived on their 0% introductory offer.

Citicards is easy to get the BT amount in cash form. You request a check in your name and put it in your bank account.

Other balance transfers from other companies can be transferred to any citicard (even with a zero balance), and then you can request a credit refund from the citicard that you transferred a balance to.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:49 AM   #9

I have ramped up to getting quite a nice income from these offers (signup bonuses and interest)...I wouldnt advise most people do these things unless you can read and understand terms...most people apparently cant...
Old 01-26-2007, 12:25 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
BT fees vary from $0 to $250 on citicards. Most other cards are $75. There are a handful of citicards (7 at my last count) that have the BT fee waived on their 0% introductory offer.

Citicards is easy to get the BT amount in cash form. You request a check in your name and put it in your bank account.

Other balance transfers from other companies can be transferred to any citicard (even with a zero balance), and then you can request a credit refund from the citicard that you transferred a balance to.
Yet a third way is possible if you have a Visa debit card associated with your checking account. Just do a BT to your checking account by giving them the Visa debit card number as the target. I am fairly sure that they can't tell the difference between this kind of Visa card and a "real" Visa credit card -- I think because the Visa debit card is a real Visa credit card.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 12:38 PM   #11

Hardly seems worth it (for the turn the BT into cash earning money-mkt
rates scam) unless your credit line is at least $20,000 or so. Is there a
way to figure out what credit line they're gonna let you have without
going ahead with the application process ?

Old 01-26-2007, 01:21 PM   #12

I usually have a dozen or so credit cards at a time with a balance transfer on them. Typical credit limits from $3500-15000.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:26 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Sigh...the big gotcha here may be that you have to make 2 purchases each month, and usually the full high interest rate applies to THOSE purchases, and they're stuck on the "back end" of the debt, so you pay that high fee on those accumulating purchases as long as you're holding the "0%" balance.

Sure, you can buy a pack of gum twice a month at the gas station, providing they dont have a minimum purchase limit for credit cards and/or the credit card offer doesnt have a minimum purchase figure and you'd make out. But if you forget one of the two purchases, most of the time they put the full interest rate on the whole balance.

Read ALL of the fine print carefully. I've yet to see one that didnt have the potential for being way more costly than the measly benefits of floating a balance.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 03:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
I've yet to see one that didnt have the potential for being way more costly than the measly benefits of floating a balance.
Yes. But, on the other hand, if one could get a $50,000 credit limit and keep the
0% balance in perpetuity, you'd earn $2500-3000/year. I was thinking of SPIA'ing a
$70K "after-tax annuity" account, for about $3000/yr. Kinda puts it in perspective.

Old 01-26-2007, 03:59 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Let's see... a 3% balance transfer fee.... it does not look like you can take it in cash..

But, for the purchases... go to the 'red box' and rent DVDs for $1 twice a month... not that hard to do.
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 04:00 PM   #16

Quote:

that's not considered a cash advance? i thought those didn't apply for the same rules - higher interest etc.?

and on your second comment - you're saying that you request a transfer from Card A (which has $0 but you still request for say $1000?) to the new card, and then the Card A folks give you a refund check for that amount?
Old 01-26-2007, 04:07 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed
that's not considered a cash advance? i thought those didn't apply for the same rules - higher interest etc.?

and on your second comment - you're saying that you request a transfer from Card A (which has $0 but you still request for say $1000?) to the new card, and then the Card A folks give you a refund check for that amount?
It depends on the check. Some are considered BT checks and some are considered CA checks. You need to read the fine print and make sure of what you are doing. You're right, there are different rules for CA's vs. BT's.

As to your second question, I would have worded it differently, but if you have Card A and Card B which both have a zero balance, and Card B has a 0% BT offer, you can BT $1000 from Card B to Card A and have Card A send you a $1000 refund check. I think that's what you were saying.

Also, to someone earlier in the thread, 3% BT fees pretty much make the game not worth playing. If you know where to look, there are 0% BT offers with less than 3% fees, especially true for large credit lines. This game is played by lots of folks over on www.fatwallet.com/c/52.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
Old 01-26-2007, 04:32 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521
... 3% BT fees pretty much make the game not worth playing
No. At least for the Citi F1K7 offer, the 3% BT fee tops out at $75. So you'll
pay WAY less than 3% for any amount which makes this game worth playing.

Old 01-26-2007, 04:35 PM   #19

The only time I play is if the BT fee is $0 to $75. Citicards has some cards that charge 3% up to $250, which makes the game not worth playing.

Old 01-26-2007, 04:56 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyShackleford
No. At least for the Citi F1K7 offer, the 3% BT fee tops out at $75. So you'll
pay WAY less than 3% for any amount which makes this game worth playing.
Yup, I know about these. If you look even harder, you can still find no-fee no-interest BT's, which are even better. I was referring to uncapped 3% fees, which have become more common lately.

2Cor521