0W-16 Motor Oil

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
My new Rav4 requires 0W-16 motor oil. I had not heard of that type of oil before. I thought all oils were required to have the second number be a multiple of 5. :D

0W-16 gives 2% better mileage than 0W-20.

Apparently, they are working on 0W-8 motor oil.

https://www.noln.net/articles/2277-the-skinny-on-ow-16-oil

NOLN: Can you share some information about what you’ve been doing with 0W-16 oils in Japan? Miyamoto: 0W-16 oil was introduced in Japan before 2000. 0W-16 showed higher fuel economy than 0W-20 engine oil. It will also give you remarkable quick engine starts at cold temperatures. There are several concerns [about 0W-16 oils] due to their lower viscosity, like increased wear, increased oil consumption and lower oil pressure. But our long history [with 0W-16] has addressed these concerns. The 0W- 16 project is just the beginning of what JXTG Nippon Oil is striving to do to offset carbon footprints. Actually, we are currently working on an 0W-8 oil.

Last edited:
Yikes. We are heading for 0W-0.

My new Rav4 requires 0W-16 motor oil. I had not heard of that type of oil before. I thought all oils were required to have the second number be a multiple of 5. :D

0W-16 gives 2% better mileage than 0W-20.

Apparently, they are working on 0W-8 motor oil.

https://www.noln.net/articles/2277-the-skinny-on-ow-16-oil
It doesn't require 0W-16 motor oil, it will run just fine on other grades and I suspect you'll never know the difference. Since you bought a hybrid, they're recommending an oil that will maximize mileage. It's up to you to decide if the 2% better mileage is worth the premium for 0W-16 vs 0W-20.

We ran our 2007 Camry hybrid on conventional oil changing every 5K miles for 11 years and over 120K miles, highest one tank result was 43 mpg and we never had a problem. We ran our 2012 Prius on 0W-20 synthetic oil changing every 10K miles for 6 years and almost 80K miles and never had a problem. Frankly, I doubt any driver could prove he/she was getting 2% better mileage, especially with a hybrid...

...if you haven't had a hybrid before, mpg will vary seasonally more than an ICE and way more than 2%. In spring and fall our Camry got low 40's mpg, low 30's in the dead of winter - about 25% less. The Prius got 55 in spring and fall, mid to low 40's in the dead of winter - about 25% less.

Last edited:
That's a new one on me.

However, I have been aware of all sorts of oil classifications for many years beyond the usual viscosity grading. Example, all top brands of 0-40 motor oil isn't created equal. My latest high performance car requires 0-40 gasoline engine motor oil but it must also meet spec MS-12633. That means I can't use Mobil One 0-40 like I've been using for years in my other high performance cars. I had to switch to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Synthetic 0-40 to meet the new specs. I know why they use the word Platinum in the name. Good luck finding it for a reasonable price.

Last edited:
I have a new Avalon hybrid that also calls for 0W-16, haven't done an oil change yet. The manual states if 0W-16 is not available then 0W-20 can be used but it must be replaced with 0W-16 at the next oil change.

...........Since you bought a hybrid, they're recommending an oil that will maximize mileage. ...........
Yea, that's it. I bought a 2007 Escape hybrid and I had to change the tires long before they wore out as they had been chosen for rolling resistance, not traction. Those tires just really sucked in wet or snowy weather.

As of now, I have never found 0W16 in any national auto parts store--or in Walmart. A dealership is the only place to buy it locally, and dealers want a fortune for the stuff.

Amazon.com can have 5 quarts delivered to you in 2 days with their AmazonBasics brand for about $22. I see the other big motor oil companies are now putting 0W16 out, and look for it in stores in the near future.

I changed oil in my Camry Hybrid 2 days ago with WallyWorld's full synthetic 0W20 motor oil for about $14.37--far less than anywhere else. It's made by Mobil/Exxon. It cost me about 3 mpg according to my gauges.

My new Rav4 requires 0W-16 motor oil.

0/20? Never heard of it. Sheesh, I'm so out of touch. I ran 20/50 in our old cars for years and only switched back to 10/40 when I got my new (used) car. Heck, I think I still have a quart of plain 30 weight oil in one of those old cardboard tube cans out in the shed.

0/20? Never heard of it. Sheesh, I'm so out of touch. I ran 20/50 in our old cars for years and only switched back to 10/40 when I got my new (used) car. Heck, I think I still have a quart of plain 30 weight oil in one of those old cardboard tube cans out in the shed.

They're now building engines in cars with such tight tolerances that they don't require the thicker oils. They're into efficiency and fuel mileage. It's not clear if the new generation Toyotas have Atkinson Cycle engines which many hybrids have. They're completely different animals. I have read that the 2.4 Toyota engine gets more heat out of their engines--better than any production car that's ever been built on a mass scale. That's where the efficiency and fuel mileage comes from.

They're now building engines in cars with such tight tolerances that they don't require the thicker oils. They're into efficiency and fuel mileage. It's not clear if the new generation Toyotas have Atkinson Cycle engines which many hybrids have. They're completely different animals. I have read that the 2.4 Toyota engine gets more heat out of their engines--better than any production car that's ever been built on a mass scale. That's where the efficiency and fuel mileage comes from.
It is according to C&D, and they loved the RAV4.
DOHC 16-valve Atkinson-cycle 2.5-liter inline-4, 176 hp, 163 lb-ft + 2 permanent-magnet synchronous AC motors, 118 and 54 hp, 149 and 89 lb-ft (combined output, 219 hp); 1.6-kWh nickel-metal-hydride battery pack.
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a27790333/2019-toyota-rav4-hybrid-awd-by-the-numbers/

I have a new Avalon hybrid that also calls for 0W-16, haven't done an oil change yet. The manual states if 0W-16 is not available then 0W-20 can be used but it must be replaced with 0W-16 at the next oil change.
My pure guess on that statement is to show the manufacturer is making an attempt to keep your car in CAFE compliance.

I.E., they aren't going to say, "sure, use the thicker stuff at will" because the EPA will come down on them saying that their CAFE measurements won't reflect the real world.

That's the advantage of the hybrid. The Atkinson Cylce doees not work well at low speeds, but that is where the electric motor shines. So, they can adjust the gasoline engine to be more efficient at higher speeds while depending on the wonderful torque curve of the electric motors at lower speeds.

The 0W-16 oil is about twice the cost of 0W-20 in my area. Hopefully, byt the time I have to pay for my first oil change, the price will be normal for a synthetic oil.

The 0W-16 oil is about twice the cost of 0W-20 in my area. Hopefully, byt the time I have to pay for my first oil change, the price will be normal for a synthetic oil.
I'd just use 0W-20. I really doubt you'd ever know the difference.

I'd just use 0W-20. I really doubt you'd ever know the difference.

It would seem to me you could be opening yourself up to possible warranty issues if you continue to use a different oil from what the manufacturer states is required.

It would seem to me you could be opening yourself up to possible warranty issues if you continue to use a different oil from what the manufacturer states is required.
From the owner's manual:

Recommended viscosity: SAE 0W-16SAE 0W-16 is the best choice for good fuel economy and good starting in cold weather.If SAE 0W-16 is not available, SAE 0W-20 oil may be used. However, it must be replaced with SAE 0W-16 at the next oil change.

From the owner's manual:

Recommended viscosity: SAE 0W-16SAE 0W-16 is the best choice for good fuel economy and good starting in cold weather.If SAE 0W-16 is not available, SAE 0W-20 oil may be used. However, it must be replaced with SAE 0W-16 at the next oil change.

Yes, I posted the same info above. It does state if 0W-20 is used it must be replaced on the next oil change. I have the same 0W-16 requirement, don't plan on messing with it to maybe save a few dollars on a once a year oil change.

Yes, I posted the same info above. It does state if 0W-20 is used it must be replaced on the next oil change. I have the same 0W-16 requirement, don't plan on messing with it to maybe save a few dollars on a once a year oil change.
Okey dokey. I wouldn't want your engine to seize because the oil was 20 vs 16, particularly in hot weather.

Okey dokey. I wouldn't want your engine to seize because the oil was 20 vs 16, particularly in hot weather.

Never said 0W-20 would cause engine problems, my issue is using an oil different from what the manufacturer specifies while the vehicle is still under warranty. If you do run into engine trouble while the vehicle is under warranty the first thing the dealer/manufacturer is going to do is review all your maintenance records to make sure you followed everything they required.

Doesn't the OP have 2 years of free oil changes at the local dealer via Toyotacare?

Doesn't the OP have 2 years of free oil changes at the local dealer via Toyotacare?

Yes, he does. So I figure by the time I have to pay for my oil changes 0W-16 oil will no longer be the rare, expensive substance it is today. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom