10 Things That Will Soon Disappear Forever (And 7 That Refuse to Die)

I have yet to see an automatic transmission that can rock a car out of a snow drift.

Now, about those kids on my lawn...

Piece of cake. Easier than a manual actually because the torque converter gives you a variable ratio. With a manual you're probably slipping the clutch instead. In the last 20 yrs most cars have traction control which does way more than the tranny

Newspapers............I read a daily newspaper for most of my adult life. Does anyone know of anyone under 35 years old that still reads a newspaper on a daily basis? I find that I read most of my news now online.

Newspapers............I read a daily newspaper for most of my adult life. Does anyone know of anyone under 35 years old that still reads a newspaper on a daily basis? I find that I read most of my news now online.

I'm way past 35 and did until yesterday. One of the Pittsburgh papers ceased delivery to the whole county, effective today, citing economics. Not cost effective according to them to distribute. The other one got so thin it is not worth 75 cents. Even if if I got double duty by using it as fire starter after reading it. Not sure I want to pay 5 bucks for the Sunday New York Whines.

Land line phones are disapearing quickly. Everybody using Cell phones. If you need a home phone the OBi200 on Amazon gives you a free wifi landline through your router. No more phone bill. I used my home Fax Machine twice this month. Handy to have.

Aliens have way better technology and way advanced too . So advanced that we can't even understand it . When they come and bring it to us , everything will disappear and look so irrelevant . Even the Apple iPhone ! LOL !

Ok look here everyone , I am not nuts ! LOL. HOWEVER : All humour aside , I do believe in aliens .

Look at the uncovered spots on a cell coverage map and you'll see that wired phones won't totally disappear until well after those are covered. Plus, something that had nearly 100% market penetration will take a long to go away. Internet phones? My provider seems to have no problem disconnecting me for 15-30 minutes at a time while doing maintenance. I call when an outage lasts for more than a few minutes and I'm always told they are up here working on something. Doesn't happen often, but often enough that I wouldn't rely on it for phone.

Cassettes--one of those things that may already be totally out of new production, but my 97 Miata has a tape deck that I still use once in awhile, so I'm not tossing my tapes.

Speaking of my Miata, I wondered if automatics had improved to the point where it is better on a Miata. According to reviews I read from places like (I think) Car & Driver, it is not as good. Maybe they have a bias too, but if I bought a new replacement Miata, I would test drive an automatic but I bet I'd buy a stick. Wouldn't do it on a larger car as I used to in the past. I prefer the automatic I've had on my last 3 small/mid SUVs.

Clutches were popular before driving and texting came to be . I guess automakers found out that one only has two arms and it would be very difficult to text and drive and shift at the same time . If mist people where to choose , it would be the iphone and NOT the clutch . Think about that one !

When I'm not otherwise occupied, I do. Paper copy of the newspaper in my favorite coffee place. I'm 36.

Otherwise I read online. Friends of similar age do the same thing: the paper thing is done as a relax moment, in the garden with a nice drink of a bit of sunshine. Or at the breakfast table when not in too much of a rush.

Clutches were popular before driving and texting came to be . I guess automakers found out that one only has two arms and it would be very difficult to text and drive and shift at the same time . If mist people where to choose , it would be the iphone and NOT the clutch . Think about that one !

Yeah I'm pretty sure the demise of the manual transmission is due to a joint conspiracy of telecom and fast food conglomerates. It's hard to fit cup holders in the console of a stick shift car.

Typing, (other than the two fingered variety), is but one of the many skills I lack....however, I always leave two spaces after a period. Perhaps it's just a part of being old.
Actually 2 spaces gets you an automatic period with iPhone/iPad. Intuitive technology CAN be amazing!

There are no payphone 's to be had. Once I relaxed I actually enjoyed the quiet.
I still use payphones at airports. Saves the battery (even though there are plugins everywhere now). Plus they allow a modicum of privacy.

I still use payphones at airports. Saves the battery (even though there are plugins everywhere now). Plus they allow a modicum of privacy.
What's a payhone?

Oh, yeah, I remember. The place where superheros change into their costumes. Problem with payhones is you need coins. Who carries coins anymore?

Actually 2 spaces gets you an automatic period with iPhone/iPad. Intuitive technology CAN be amazing!

The only cell phone we have is an old kerosene powered one donated by DW's daughter, that we buy a card for and once in a while use when we're out of the country. ;)

Last edited:
Can relate funny story. Long ago, around 1973, the research ship I was w*rking docked in Cape Town, Africa. Got off the ship had a cab take me and a buddy to a car rental place. Rented IIRC an Opel. Naturally steering wheel on the wrong side, manual tranny. Never driven in a country with lanes on the wrong side, or shifted a manual with left hand:LOL:. Fortunately the pedals were in the right order.

Anyhoo, off we went trying to get out of the city to the huge Kruger national park. Not even a half mile, and I get pulled over by the local police, he asks for license, I hand him my NY State license. The man asks how long I've been here, I say maybe a couple of hours.

I was pulled over for making an illegal right turn. He could tell by the plates, it was a rental car. The policeman then patiently says, slow down, try to read the signs and watch for signs prohibiting right turns. Let me go with no ticket.

Survived three days without further violations or mishaps.

The final funny is we stopped to watch some baboons, nasty stinking buggers they are. One sat on the hood and grabbed hold of the viper arm, would not get off. Weeeellll, slowly accelerated to about 45, jammed on the brake, baboon went flying with the wiper arm still firmly in grasp. We escaped. On return of car had to pay around 20 Rand for the missing bit. There was no charge for the brown skid marks on the hood.

Ok resume, whatever the thread was all about.:D

Had similar experience minus the police and with elephants instead of baboons in 1989 was working at Baragwanath Hospital in Soweto and borrowed a buddy's manual to drive to Krueger as well. Fortunately, elephants did not sit on hood, just chased car for a bit. Don't remember the make but it was a tiny thing so just as well! A beautiful place.

I sure hope manual transmissions are still available when I come to buy my next car. It is all I know and I love it.

Did anyone mention phone books? They are still delivered here to some people but I opted out a long time ago and haven't missed it at all.

I sure hope manual transmissions are still available when I come to buy my next car. It is all I know and I love it.
Actually, I think there are driving schools that will retrain you to drive an automatic transmission.

Not interested. My knees are still great and I like the proverbial "feel of the road". Automatic transmission cars feel creepy to me because there's less of a sense of control.

Not interested. My knees are still great and I like the proverbial "feel of the road". Automatic transmission cars feel creepy to me because there's less of a sense of control.
I agree. That's why I won't own a car with power steering.

Yeah I'm pretty sure the demise of the manual transmission is due to a joint conspiracy of telecom and fast food conglomerates. It's hard to fit cup holders in the console of a stick shift car.

Cup holder in my 2003 Jetta 5 speed manual:

cup holder.jpg

(folds into the dash):D

Learning how to type was probably the most useful thing I learned in high school. I took the class for two reasons; I knew they couldn't require me to buy a typewriter and therefor the class would have no homework, and I was one of two guys in a classroom full of girls.:D

+1 :D

Actually, I was in high school in the mid-70's when we took a trip to a local college to learn about computers, and my turn at the terminal was a frustrating bout of hunt-and-peck. I figured since I was going into engineering I would be using a computer some day, although I never envisioned at that time there would be one on every desk. I decided right there to take typing as an elective. I was the only male in the class as well as the only senior. That class was great!

Land line phones are disapearing quickly. Everybody using Cell phones. ...

I've been thinking that phone numbers should go away. They made sense with the old POTS copper wire technology, but with smartphones, VOIP, etc - it would seem that something more like an email address would work better. Or just use your email address, but people would select the "real-time, interactive voice communication" icon. Area codes no longer have meaning in a mobile society.

I have actually seen an old phone system automatic number routing device in service (as part of a training set up). When you see how it works, the whole dial and numbering system makes sense for the tech at the time. But that was no longer needed when things went electronic, and it seems actual "phone numbers" are an archaic concept as well.

Most people with smart phones now don't really know their friends numbers, they dial by name anyhow.

-ERD50

I've been thinking that phone numbers should go away. They made sense with the old POTS copper wire technology, but with smartphones, VOIP, etc - it would seem that something more like an email address would work better. Or just use your email address, but people would select the "real-time, interactive voice communication" icon. Area codes no longer have meaning in a mobile society.

I have actually seen an old phone system automatic number routing device in service (as part of a training set up). When you see how it works, the whole dial and numbering system makes sense for the tech at the time. But that was no longer needed when things went electronic, and it seems actual "phone numbers" are an archaic concept as well.

Most people with smart phones now don't really know their friends numbers, they dial by name anyhow.

-ERD50

Well, not quite true on your last stmt... my sister says she still dials by number... I am #3..... that is quick dial.... but, she actually does know my number as I have had it for 30+ years....

But yea, I get your point....

Back
Top Bottom