Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

1040 forms or booklet not available
Old 02-17-2013, 06:26 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

1040 forms or booklet not available

I was looking in the usual places for federal 1040 forms and instruction booklets and could not find them. there was a card that said call a certain no. and they will be mailed to you. I called that no. and recieved a card in the mail that said what I had requested was unavailable. anyone know what that is about? curious why these and i'm sure other forms aren't available. is this some kind of propaganda to force people to e-file?
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2013, 06:38 AM   #2

Probably. I think the library used to have them. They can be downloaded from the website

Forms & Pubs

or they have an order form

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Forms-and-Pub...s-by-U.S.-Mail
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:41 AM   #3

did the forms and pubs by mail and got the card that said they were unavailable and the local libraries and post offices don't have them.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:50 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
did the forms and pubs by mail and got the card that said they were unavailable and the local libraries and post offices don't have them.
I ordered forms/instructions from the IRS website a few weeks ago. I received a card a few days later saying they were not yet available but would be mailed as soon as they were updated. Last week I received all of the docs I ordered. I mainly wanted a hard copy of the instruction booklet since I download the forms (from the IRS website) to complete electronically.
Lakedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:47 AM   #5

At least the Feds give you status info so that you know that your order was received. I never got that card after ordering online, but I did get some other forms I ordered (non 1040 series) so I knew that the order was received.

In contrast , my state gives nothing. If they think they're saving money by not confirming, they are wrong. After waiting as long as I could stand(5 wks), I reordered by phone instead of the original online order. As expected, the very next day the original order came and then yesterday the 2nd order.......kind of a waste.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:49 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I take it this won't work? http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040gi.pdf

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:50 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I have been able to get most of the forms but not the 1040 instruction booklet. Form 8949, that new form which was part of Schedule D (cap gains) until last year, has never been available at libraries. I did download it and carefully printed it both sides of a single sheet of paper last year.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:50 PM   #8

I visited the local IRS office and the Pub 17s are still not out.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
I have been able to get most of the forms but not the 1040 instruction booklet. Form 8949, that new form which was part of Schedule D (cap gains) until last year, has never been available at libraries. I did download it and carefully printed it both sides of a single sheet of paper last year.
It should be noted that the IRS will accept forms printed on single sides of paper, thats what the tax programs print out, unless you have a duplex printer. So there is no need to print the forms in duplex, the IRS does it to save paper. Note that another blog says that most forms filled out by tax preparers are single sided also (duplex printing is a PITA). Yes you will add a bit of postage, but the big deal is the certified mail return reciept item. (Done to have proof filed)
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:41 PM   #10
gone traveling

the 1040 instruction book is on irs.gov website we only printed certain pages needed
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:49 AM   #11

the 1040 booklet is what I was looking for. I like to keep one around for checking.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:54 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
is this some kind of propaganda to force people to e-file?
Well, there's a middle ground between using paper forms and e-filing, i.e. using software and printing and mailing the forms.

Do you really not want to use tax software ? I resisted it for awhile, but really glad I took the plunge - though my taxes are probably more complicated than most. There tons of free tax software (online Turbotax and stuff) and even the purchased versions can be very cheap if you share with friends.

I particularly wonder why you'd want paper instruction booklets since it appears you have internet access.
RustyShackleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:14 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
the 1040 booklet is what I was looking for. I like to keep one around for checking.
+1

Yep. I've been using TurboTax for years but still like to have the 1040 instructions and instructions for several of the schedules in paper form. It's easier for this ole dog to make margin notes, underline, highlight, etc. with a paper booklet.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:55 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
+1

Yep. I've been using TurboTax for years but still like to have the 1040 instructions and instructions for several of the schedules in paper form. It's easier for this ole dog to make margin notes, underline, highlight, etc. with a paper booklet.
I also find searching for stuff is much easier w/ paper. Always feel like I'm looking thru a small tunnel when doing it online and it either takes forever to scroll to the right place or I zoom past it and miss it if I move too fast.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:36 AM   #15
gone traveling

the entire 1040 book is at irs.gov. you could print it
Old 02-20-2013, 10:51 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
the entire 1040 book is at irs.gov. you could print it
Yeah, I'm aware of that. It was just much, much simpler (for me anyway) to order the publications I was interested in and they'd arrive, at no cost to me, on my front porch within a week.

Just the preference of a geezer. I'm sure all the young folks are comfortable downloading the pdf's and sitting in their recliners with their laptops doing the reading. In those circumstances, I'm still more comfortable with the booklets in hand.

But, we do what we gotta do......
Old 02-20-2013, 11:00 AM   #17
gone traveling

Quote:
Yeah, I'm aware of that. It was just much, much simpler (for me anyway) to order the publications I was interested in and they'd arrive, at no cost to me, on my front porch within a week.

Just the preference of a geezer. I'm sure all the young folks are comfortable downloading the pdf's and sitting in their recliners with their laptops doing the reading. In those circumstances, I'm still more comfortable with the booklets in hand.

But, we do what we gotta do......

i'm 62-i download stuff all the time
Old 02-20-2013, 11:06 AM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

I ordered the 1040 booklet online (irs.gov) - received it a couple of weeks ago so it is available.
Lakedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:12 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
i'm 62-i download stuff all the time
As do I. Although watching my printer run and run and run isn't all that entertaining.

It's not a matter of knowledge or ability, it'a a matter of preference and getting used to things I guess. For example, if I have a choice between reading a printed book or reading a book on my Kindle, I generally prefer the printed book. But I use the Kindle and do find it handy for bringing several books along while traveling or for reading in bed without a light on.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:16 AM   #20
gone traveling

Quote:
As do I. It's not a matter of knowledge or ability, it'a a matter of preference and getting used to things I guess. For example, if I have a choice between reading a printed book or reading a book on my Kindle, I generally prefer the printed book. But I use the Kindle and do find it handy for bringing several books along while traveling or for reading in bed without a light on.

i love my kindle-i got it to download-wait for it-comic books from amazon-anything superman related.

amazon prime is great also