Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

17m watch Bruce Jenner interview
Old 04-26-2015, 03:34 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

17m watch Bruce Jenner interview

Wow.. big numbers. I thought Sawyer handled it well and it changed my perception of Jenner...which was very negative based simply on his ties to the whole Kardashian train wreck... Jenner came across to me as sincere, articulate and brave. Did you watch?
Tailgate is offline   Reply
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2015, 03:39 PM   #2

Could care less about Jenner, Kardashians, etc., etc.,etc.

If he/she is finding happiness, good for him/her.
Old 04-26-2015, 03:41 PM   #3

There was a hockey playoff game on at the same time, so we watched that instead.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply
Old 04-26-2015, 03:46 PM   #4

I didn't watch the entire interview - I assume it's online, like everything else these days, so may catch it at some point.

I did see some long excerpts, and I agree, I think he is extremely brave to go public with his story. It was very evident that he has been in pain "living a lie" for decades, so more power to him if he can find happiness now.

The only thing that bothers me is that he is apparently going to be doing a "reality" show documenting his transition, and that seems a bit exploitative to me.

On the other hand, due to his wealth and celebrity, he has a platform, and if he is able to save some lives or give some hope to young folks struggling with this issue by documenting his journey, then good for him.
Calico is offline   Reply
Old 04-26-2015, 03:51 PM   #5

It's too strange. Men who are women, not the same as men who dress as women, nor men who like men or women who like women, ... not that there's anything wrong with that...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 04-26-2015, 03:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgang View Post
It's too strange. Men who are women, not the same as men who dress as women, nor men who like men or women who like women, ... not that there's anything wrong with that...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Agree 100%. Guess in my old age I've become a real liberal on social issues.
Old 04-26-2015, 04:01 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don't understand the hub-bub. It the dude wants his junk chopped off, What do I care? Just keep it to yourself.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply
Old 04-26-2015, 04:13 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Some of this stuff has gone beyond thoughtful - almost to exhibitionist. Unless it is in good taste I don't think it is helpful to others struggling with this issue.
Old 04-26-2015, 04:15 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Deleted
travelover is offline   Reply
Old 04-26-2015, 04:22 PM   #10

I don't agree with those here who say it's strange. It's pretty simple - your psychological and your physical gender identity are separate things, and don't always match.

Like others here, I am also in two minds about this. I'm not keen on the way the media have turned this into something of a circus freakshow spectacle. It is not - this is simply a person who was born physically male, who is psychologically female. It's more common than many of us might realize. On the other hand, he seems to have played his part in courting this media attention.

However, in the big scheme of things, it will help to raise awareness and hopefully get us all to the point where this stuff is understood by all, so we can all live and let live, and get on with our lives. It's really not complicated.

Major Tom is offline   Reply
Old 04-26-2015, 04:28 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
I don't agree with those here who say it's strange. It's pretty simple - your psychological and your physical gender identity are separate things, and don't always match.

Like others here, I am also in two minds about this. I'm not keen on the way the media have turned this into something of a circus freakshow spectacle. It is not - this is simply a person who was born physically male, who is psychologically female. It's more common than many of us might realize. On the other hand, he seems to have played his part in courting this media attention.

However, in the big scheme of things, it will help to raise awareness and hopefully get us all to the point where this stuff is understood by all, so we can all live and let live, and get on with our lives. It's really not complicated.
It is (theoretically) a free country. You want to switch horses in the middle of the race, knock yourself out. But keep it to yourself. I don't want or need to hear about it. Neither do my kids.

- George Orwell

Old 04-26-2015, 05:16 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
I don't understand the hub-bub. It the dude wants his junk chopped off, What do I care? Just keep it to yourself.
+1

Glad I missed everything.

At least now I know why his older face is on the checkout tabloids.

Wait...... I didn't really want to know that either! Dang!

Can I get that brain space back?
Old 04-26-2015, 05:16 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post

Quote:
It is (theoretically) a free country. You want to switch horses in the middle of the race, knock yourself out. But keep it to yourself. I don't want or need to hear about it. Neither do my kids.
Exactly. Whatever you do, do it, and more power to you. But needing to be on TV/social media, for whatever reason, shows the real disease. And people worry about Bird Flu.
Old 04-26-2015, 05:19 PM   #14

Quote:
The suicide rate among transgender youth is off the charts. If Jenner's public acknowledgement of his struggle and his journey can save one or more young lives, he is making a contribution beyond measure. IMHO.
Calico is offline   Reply
Old 04-26-2015, 05:24 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
The suicide rate among transgender youth is off the charts. If Jenner's public acknowledgement of his struggle and his journey can save one or more young lives, he is making a contribution beyond measure. IMHO.
Then he should start a youth gender confused support group, not grub whatever national freakshow attention he can get.

- George Orwell

Old 04-26-2015, 05:37 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

He is free to express himself and I am free to ignore him. As for what he is doing with his body, I just don't care. I cut Cable TV a few weeks ago and I am not missing anything apparently.
FIREd is offline   Reply
Old 04-26-2015, 05:43 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
I cut Cable TV a few weeks ago and I am not missing anything apparently.
I hear that. Finally got out of contract with Comcast and killed both the phone and cable effective tomorrow. $80/month savings and a cessation of overseas scammer phone calls, how can I lose?

- George Orwell

Old 04-26-2015, 05:44 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
He is free to express himself and I am free to ignore him. As for what he is doing with his body, I just don't care. I cut Cable TV a few weeks ago and I am not missing anything apparently.

+1
outdoorgirl02 is offline   Reply
Old 04-26-2015, 05:47 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

I didn't watch the Jenner interview. However, I believe it serves a very useful societal purpose for someone who is already well-known to come out as transgender. In just the past 5 years, there has been a major swing in public sentiment regarding same-sex marriage. That change in public attitude didn't happen by itself. It came about because over the past few decades, more and more people came out as gay. Gay characters began to appear in movies and on TV. More and more people including celebrities, politicians, athletes, family members, friends, co-workers, and neighbors came out. All of this began to snowball, and suddenly most people knew someone who is gay. It's hard to hate someone or discriminate against someone who you already knew and liked before finding out that they happen to be gay.

Jenner going public is an important step for the society's understanding and awareness of transgender individuals. It is important for adults, but it is also important for kids to know that transgender people exist. Some of those kids, and some the parents of those kids, will eventually face the issue personally.

Kardashians, OTOH, serve no useful purpose that I can see.
anethum is offline   Reply
Old 04-26-2015, 05:55 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by anethum View Post
I didn't watch the Jenner interview. However, I believe it serves a very useful societal purpose for someone who is already well-known to come out as transgender. In just the past 5 years, there has been a major swing in public sentiment regarding same-sex marriage. That change in public attitude didn't happen by itself. It came about because over the past few decades, more and more people came out as gay. Gay characters began to appear in movies and on TV. More and more people including celebrities, politicians, athletes, family members, friends, co-workers, and neighbors came out. All of this began to snowball, and suddenly most people knew someone who is gay. It's hard to hate someone or discriminate against someone who you already knew and liked before finding out that they happen to be gay.

Jenner going public is an important step for the society's understanding and awareness of transgender individuals. It is important for adults, but it is also important for kids to know that transgender people exist. Some of those kids, and some the parents of those kids, will eventually face the issue personally.

Kardashians, OTOH, serve no useful purpose that I can see.
Not to be pigheaded, but lesbian and gay population is, what, 3 to 5% or the population? Transgender/gender confused/term of the day is ??% Must we all be bombarded with the issues of a tiny minority?

- George Orwell

Closed Thread