? 1st Alert Specs SpecificBatteries for CO Detector

kaneohe

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Just curious whyFirst Alert specifies specific brands/type of battery for their
CO detectors? Why wouldn't any name brand alkaline battery of the right voltage work? (or even a no-name)

I'm curious as well. Can you give an example?

When I went to the First Alert site (my bold):

Resources - FAQ

I'm ready to change my smoke alarm battery - what replacement batteries can I use?
Check your User's Manual or the nameplate on the back of the alarm. Different smoke detectors use different kinds of batteries - 9V, AA, AAA - it all depends on the particular model you have. Use quality batteries like lithium smoke detector batteries - having plenty of power is worth any extra cost. Never use rechargeable batteries because they may not always provide a consistent charge.

Maybe First Alert has a deal with certain battery brands?

-ERD50

-ERD50

I'd wager they just want to make sure the thing works so they don't get sued on account of a bad battery.

Sort of like when someone tries to use a rotary lawn mower as a hedge trimmer, cuts off his fingers, and then the lawyer sues Brigg & Stratton even though they only make engines, not lawn mowers.

Or when someone tries to fly an airplane through a mountain they'll sue Lycoming or General Electric even though the engine was running fine until it hit the mountain.

It even better. The co detectors state "replace after 10 years. Had one start the malfunction / low batt. tone. Changed the batteries, assuming they were low, No work, then decoded the" ERR" displayed on the readout, and looked at the date I marked on the back when I installed it. About 10 years to the day.

The things are now programmed ( at least the one I bought 10 years previous ) to shut down 10 years after first getting battery power when put into service. Hows that for guaranteed future industry income :mad:

Last edited:
It even better. The co detectors state "replace after 10 years. Had one start the malfunction / low batt. tone. Changed the batteries, assuming they were low, No work, then decoded the" ERR" displayed on the readout, and looked at the date I marked on the back when I installed it. About 10 years to the day.

The things are now programmed ( at least the one I bought 10 years previous ) to shut down 10 years after first getting battery power when put into service. Hows that for guaranteed future industry income :mad:

Yes, but it's not really a bad thing. The sensors themselves only have a life expectancy of 10 years (plus some margin), and now that we have designs and batteries that can power them for 10 years, it actually works out pretty well.

As Walt mentioned earlier, liability concerns - not just CYA, but legitimate concern. If people keep replacing batteries, but the thing isn't working they have a false sense of security. That's not good.

The newest one I bought is that ten year life with ten year battery design. Nice in a way - I'll never need to change the battery. The one I bought before that is a plug-in with battery back-up, but that has the ten-year timer in it. The previous (identical looking, same model #, I think), doesn't have the timer in it. I use that as a 'back-up'.

But I also tested a very old one with an incense stick, and it did alarm (not right away, they need a few minutes to avoid false alarms). But there was no display/feedback on that one, so I retired it.

I have 3 CO detectors in the house. I think that is more important than 0.0x% deltas on a SWR.

-ERD50

I'm curious as well. Can you give an example?

When I went to the First Alert site (my bold):

Resources - FAQ

-ERD50

too lazy to get the new manual but the old one is similar:
"The following batteries are acceptable as replacements: Energizer E91.
IMPORTANT: use only the replacement batteries listed. The unit may not operate properly with other batteries."

maybe I'll call them just to see what they say.............

We have 5 First Alert CO/smoke detectors and 3 smoke only detectors at our place. They are hard wired with battery back up and all connected so when one goes off the others follow. We had multiple annoying false alarms when we first moved in and when I called the company they recommended using compressed air to clean the detectors when I replace the batteries. When I asked about battery brand replacement the tech said any good Alkline brand battery is good and not just the Energizer E91. I have been using Duracell. No problems with false alarms ever since I started cleaning them when I replace the batteries.

But he also said the CO/smoke detectors have to be replaced every 7 years and the smoke only detectors after 10 years from the date of manufacture. My detectors were manufactured two years prior to installation (possibly due to builder's old inventory) so I plan to replace the detectors this fall whether I get an error code or not.

Thanks to all for the helpful comments. I have no doubt that they have programmed it in to make it useful after the nominal lifetime tho they appeared to have given an additional 6 mos. in my case......just to minimize the *$%$#.
The new one has 5 yr ltd warranty on the packaging and 7 yr on the instructions inside. Will be interesting to see which prevails.

too lazy to get the new manual but the old one is similar:
"The following batteries are acceptable as replacements: Energizer E91.
IMPORTANT: use only the replacement batteries listed. The unit may not operate properly with other batteries."

maybe I'll call them just to see what they say.............

I'll guess that if it isn't a business deal with the brands, it is just a bit of 'dumbing down" for the consumer, who might not be paying attention to details.

By giving specific brands/models it (slightly) limits any confusion. Just 'Alkaline' might be taken by some to be really generic, and some might read that as 'any battery that fits, aren't they all alkaline? I just thought that meant 'battery' '. I know that some people assume 'Heavy-Duty' is better than Alkaline, but it isn't.

And while I think all brands are pretty much the same, it's possible that some re-labeling house is buying rejects or old stock. Sticking to name brands should limit that possibility.

-ERD50

Yes, but it's not really a bad thing. The sensors themselves only have a life expectancy of 10 years (plus some margin), and now that we have designs and batteries that can power them for 10 years, it actually works out pretty well.

As Walt mentioned earlier, liability concerns - not just CYA, but legitimate concern. If people keep replacing batteries, but the thing isn't working they have a false sense of security. That's not good.

The newest one I bought is that ten year life with ten year battery design. Nice in a way - I'll never need to change the battery. The one I bought before that is a plug-in with battery back-up, but that has the ten-year timer in it. The previous (identical looking, same model #, I think), doesn't have the timer in it. I use that as a 'back-up'.

But I also tested a very old one with an incense stick, and it did alarm (not right away, they need a few minutes to avoid false alarms). But there was no display/feedback on that one, so I retired it.

I have 3 CO detectors in the house. I think that is more important than 0.0x% deltas on a SWR.

-ERD50

The early battery powered co detectors were horrible, the sensors often were poisoned by common household product airborne substances. The early 120 volt models were very reliable, as they had a heated grid, and did a " Burn off' cycle periodically . Could last indefinably. Don't think they still use that in plug in models anymore.

The co alarm ppm and time threshold for current detectors is much higher ( fire departments were getting very tired of responding to calls where co was elevated, but clearly not dangerous ) .

I am very skeptical of the fixed lifetime replace thing. So many things can influence device useful life. Hope the Auto industry never gets any traction on similar things. Like airbag components. I don't have complete confidence of airbags working properly on a 20 year old car , but replacing after a certain time period would be crazy expensive. I can just imagine - your car reaches a certain age or mileage and suddenly will not start , the "service soon" indicator on the dash is lit. the mechanic reads the trouble code and reports " we have to replace all your airbags and impact sensors or the computer will not re-set".

Last edited:
Hope the Auto industry never gets any traction on similar things. Like airbag components. I don't have complete confidence of airbags working properly on a 20 year old car , but replacing after a certain time period would be crazy expensive.

Wouldn't it be great if the airbags were easy to replace? Maybe a limited number of types/configurations/sizes and they are behind a standard cover panel? If airbags were $100 each and I could replace them myself, I'd gladly do the job every 5-10 years.
Kinda goes along with my desire for an easily maintained/repaired car. I still think it might be a money-maker for somebody.

I am very skeptical of the fixed lifetime replace thing. So many things can influence device useful life. Hope the Auto industry never gets any traction on similar things. Like airbag components. I don't have complete confidence of airbags working properly on a 20 year old car , but replacing after a certain time period would be crazy expensive. ...

The other day I noticed a sticker in my 2000 Volvo saying the "SRS" system (I think that includes the air bags), should be serviced by JAN 2010. Hmmmm.

-ERD50

The other day I noticed a sticker in my 2000 Volvo saying the "SRS" system (I think that includes the air bags), should be serviced by JAN 2010. Hmmmm.

-ERD50

Ah , I can service that for $1.29, a broad tip permanent marker will fix that sticker.

Back
Top Bottom