$2.62

lazygood4nothinbum

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
seven quarters, 7 dimes, 2 nickels, 7 pennies.

question: how much change did i find under my car seat today?

back in high school i'd have considered this quite the score.

seven quarters, 7 dimes, 2 nickels, 7 pennies.

question: how much change did i find under my car seat today?

back in high school i'd have considered this quite the score.

Long ago on "The Rocky and Bullwinkle Show" I recall a scene where they needed some money; they went through all their pockets and found "37¢ and a skate key".

Long ago on "The Rocky and Bullwinkle Show" I recall a scene where they needed some money; they went through all their pockets and found "37¢ and a skate key".

Shades of Melanie Safka...

Trivia question: What literary work, and what's wrong with it:

"One dollar and eighty-seven cents. That was all. And sixty cents of it was in pennies. "

"One dollar and eighty-seven cents. That was all. And sixty cents of it was in pennies. "

It's difficult to have $1.27 without pennies...

This is why you have to factor inflation into your retirement planning, since $2.62 isn't what it used to be (26 comics).

Lazy, nice to see you focus on questions I might be able to help resolve.

um, it sort of published before i was done composing the post so i had to edit and that's just sort what happened. i'd claim to be more organized than that but then i'd have to explain all that change under the chair.

Trivia question: What literary work

Dj.jpg

i learned the classics from bugs and o henry from homer. i am a product of my times.

This is why you have to factor inflation into your retirement planning, since $2.62 isn't what it used to be (26 comics).

now that's just sad.

question: i'm not the only person who has driven my car. what if some of the change dropped from someone else's pocket? should i search them out? i don't recognize all the coins? how can i spend them good conscience? drop them into a charity bucket to assure my integrity?

I have to borrow someone else's fingers and toes. I've run short with only 20.

The Gift of the Magi by O'Henry. But I have to confess I would not have known the answer -- Google is your friend.

Answer to Lazy's question: all of the above.

I still remember the day when I was about ten years old sitting in a big plush chair in the living room (at a family gathering, unfortunately). I reached down in the lining to recover something that fell out of my pocket and found my hand wrist deep in coins. No one had ever explored that old chair - it must have had $10 or $20 in coins. The problem is everybody saw my reaction and my parents wouldn't let me keep the whole score. Had I been alone I would have known enough to keep my mouth shut.

It's difficult to have $1.27 without pennies...

Hmm, not necessarily true in 1906, when the story was published. Two-cent coins were minted until 1873, only 33 years before. It is easy to imagine they were still in circulation, given that it is not at all rare to see a 33-year old coin nowadays.

Added: three-cent coins seem to have been minted until 1889. Four of those would work, too.

I have a glass piggy bank from the 1960s stuffed so full of pennies none will shake out. It's probably worth more for the copper content than the coins unless one of them is a rare collector's item.

Ok lazy, inquiring minds want to know how you are going to invest this new found wealth? :D

Before you spend it all, just remember that some of the funds may be subject to taxes. Depends on which side of the car the money was found on, drivers side, you're home free. Passenger side? That money may be subject to taxes under the IRS rules of windfall profits. :D

This is a timely thread for me. Three times in as many days I've found money on the ground - most was 60c. I'm clearly "in the zone" - can't wait to take my next stroll down the road!

:::making note to self to check under the passenger seat:::

:::making 2nd note to invite more passengers for a drive:::

:::checking map for badly paved roads:::

Hmm, not necessarily true in 1906, when the story was published. Two-cent coins were minted until 1873, only 33 years before. It is easy to imagine they were still in circulation, given that it is not at all rare to see a 33-year old coin nowadays.

Added: three-cent coins seem to have been minted until 1889. Four of those would work, too.

Interesting. I always wondered how O'Henry could get it wrong like that. The only reason I remember this is that I had a brain-teaser book in elementary school that mentioned it.

clarification

oh henry is a candy bar

o. henry is the writer's pen name

o'henry is some guy who runs a coffee shop.

storefront2.gif

Back
Top Bottom