Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-10-2012, 03:11 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Similar experience to Martha's with Clockwork Orange. Finally got my nerve up after several months to ask one of the cutest girls I'd ever seen on a date. The only movie being shown inthe small college town was "the current Kubrick movie". Hey, 2001 Space Odessey wasn't too bad, let's go......

We left about 3/4 of the way through the movie. As I remember it, we both looked at each other in the parking lot, said goodnight, and walked in silence our seperate ways back to our dorms.

Never even talked to her again.

Became the penultimate "bad date" that all others were judged by.
EllisWyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2012, 03:25 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
This one was pretty intense. Loved it. Sure many folks understandably found it hard to sit through.

Loved the movie also. I've always skipped the scene where the natives kill the water buffalo in a ceremony. Too disturbing to this old animal lover.
frank2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:31 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Battlefield Earth & Dune.

YES.....Thanks... except Dune was the first one

Still, both stinkers...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:34 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
YES.....Thanks... except Dune was the first one

Still, both stinkers...
DW adores (understating here) Sting, so I got dragged to Dune. Even she agreed it was awful...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:52 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank2009 View Post
Loved the movie also. I've always skipped the scene where the natives kill the water buffalo in a ceremony. Too disturbing to this old animal lover.
Me too. Just too horrible. Always cover my eyes during that scene.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:02 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
The only movie we ever walked out on was " Lost in Translation ". Awful !
I actually liked it; okay, a little. Plus, I could look at ScarJo about anytime!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:01 PM   #47
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
DW adores (understating here) Sting, so I got dragged to Dune. Even she agreed it was awful...
Dune was so bad they made it twice. Neither did well, and the special effects were bad both times. There's another underway.

I always thought The Adventures of Pluto Nash was among the worst movies, but IMDB gives it a 3.6. Very bad, but not the worst. Here's a list of the bottom 100 of IMDB. At least one film mention in this thread made it (Battlefield Earth) IMDb Bottom 100
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:28 PM   #48
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post

20 Dumb and Dumber Never saw it but I have a friend who loves it.
19 The Blair Witch Project Liked it when I saw it
18 Beowulf didn't see it
17 Open Water Heard of it. Haven't seen it.
16 Pulp Fiction Liked it when I saw it.
15 Cloverfield Liked it when I saw it on a big screen but I can see how the handheld camerawork can annoy people
14 Brokeback Mountain didn't see it. Not interested
13 Waterworld Agree. It was pretty lame.
12 Epic Movie never heard of it
11 RoboCop Liked it at the time.
10 The Wicker Man Saw all of it. Terrible movie.
9 A Clockwork Orange I've seen this several times. Disturbing but worthwhile.
8 Last Tango In Paris Boring
7 Pirate of the Carribbean: Dead Man's Chest Never saw it. No interest
6 Eyes Wide Shut Saw it. OK but wouldn't see it again.
5 Ishtar Boring
4 The English Patient OK movie.
3 The Exorcist Seen it several times. Classic but dated.
2 Leaving Las Vegas Never saw it.
1 Natural Born Killers Good but violent

The movie I wished I had walked out of was "The Hunger" with Catherine Deneuve and David Bowie.
martyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:37 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Dune was so bad they made it twice. Neither did well, and the special effects were bad both times. There's another underway.

I always thought The Adventures of Pluto Nash was among the worst movies, but IMDB gives it a 3.6. Very bad, but not the worst. Here's a list of the bottom 100 of IMDB. At least one film mention in this thread made it (Battlefield Earth) IMDb Bottom 100

Interesting that I have only seen two of these movies on the list... but I think there are some real stinkers that should be on there...

I found one that I was looking...... Dogville... this was one of the ones that I rented the DVD.... lucky we had rented two.....

I am surprised to read that it won awards!!!...

Dogville - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The story of Dogville is narrated by John Hurt in nine chapters and takes place on a stage with minimalist scenery. Some walls and furniture are placed on the stage, but the rest of the scenery exists merely as white painted outlines which have big labels on them; for example, the outlines of gooseberry bushes have the text "Gooseberry Bushes" written next to them."

The film grossed $1,535,286 in the US market and $15,145,550 from the rest of the world for a total gross of $16,680,836 worldwide. In the opening US weekend it did poorly, grossing only $88,855
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:43 AM   #50

Some Bad Movies are so well known for being bad they're considered "classic" and get voted higher in IMDB's system. Some of Ed Wood's films come to mind, such as Plan 9 From Outer Space. The equivalent in music are Rock Stars so ugly some people say they're "cute".
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:53 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
Some Bad Movies are so well known for being bad they're considered "classic" and get voted higher in IMDB's system.
I would include many of those MST3K covered. They made bad movies fun!
Old 12-12-2012, 11:43 AM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

I find it shocking that Leaving Las Vegas is on this list. It is in my personal list of 10 favorite movies ever! I guess it must be too depressing for many?? I thought the acting was great and I could totally identify with the Nicholas Cage character at the time I saw it (right after my divorce). Plus it didn't hurt that Elisabeth Shue looked great in the movie!

Cage won the Golden Globe and Academy Award for best actor for this film and Shue was nominated for the Golden Globe best actress! Director was also nominated. Don't get it
skyvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:51 AM   #53

I remember the Dune series of books. They were wildly successful. I never read any of them, though.

I had watched part of the Dune movie. And I have to say that I never got through the whole movie. It was impossible to follow. I guess you had to read the books first.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:22 PM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbugdave View Post
I had watched part of the Dune movie. And I have to say that I never got through the whole movie. It was impossible to follow. I guess you had to read the books first.
Yes, it made a lot more sense if you had read the book because you could keep all the characters straight. In the movie, they tried to do a 2001 and not explain anything but could not pull it off. Still, it had Sean Young in it.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:33 PM   #55

I love "Lost in Translation"

"Faster Pussycat Kill Kill" is so bad it's good.
martyp is offline   Reply With Quote