200 countries, 200 years

If his prediction of world progress comes to pass, it will be slim pickings for you ERs planning on a life of LBYM dissipation in Asia and South America. Better get it while the getting's good, because prices may be going up and selection going down. :)

Ha

That was so cool!! What a great way to present material - - so vivid and unforgettable. Thanks for sharing it with us, Onward.

And yes, we owe a lot of what we have to the opportunities afforded to us in this country.

That was fascinating. Thank you for sharing.

Very cool presentation! Thanks for posting it.

Very fun - notice the dots that fall from long wealthy lives to nasty short and brutish around 1941-4? Wonder what countries they were... They dropped and then bounced like superballs.

Cooool!

Hans Rosling has a number of lectures at ted.com too. He makes number exciting & shows some pretty cool correlations.

RE: visual presentation of information : Edward Tufte is considered one of the geniuses for visually presenting information - classic one is of Napoleon's winter march

The Work of Edward Tufte and Graphics Press

Very hard to do effectively - needs both a scientific and artistic mind - don't find that combo often :)

Yes, very good - thanks for posting.

It certainly is more engaging than a table of data. I wonder if there is a more 'raw' version of this available? What I would really find interesting would be to do what he did, to be in control. I'd like to move the 'scrub bar' to any point in time I want, see/hear the annotations, and then click a circle to break it into its parts.

One overall message I got was that a rising tide lifted all boats. Looks like the LE of the poorest nations now exceeds the LE of the longest living nations of 200 years ago. And every circle appears to have increased in wealth significantly (there were very many below $400/year, now very few). For all the talk about 'class warfare', I think we should be thankful that while there are relative disparities, it didn't come at the expense of any 'circle' (as far as I could see), though that 'circle' didn't share in the wealth as much as others. It could be worse, and I'm sure the reasons are complex as to why it is as it is (but I'll wager it is largely due to corrupt/unstable governments in those areas).

-ERD50

Dots, keep movin' up and right! Big yellow dot, get back in gear!

Back
Top Bottom