2008 U.S. Open

I won't go into the fact that I learned to play golf in 1992 at the Navy Golf Course in Cypress, CA when I was stationed in Long Beach. Can you guess who else learned to play on that course? Can you guess who I used to see playing on the course working on his game with his dad back then? Can you guess who I met on the range and chatted with before he became famous. I won't give you any clues....but he has won 14 majors. :)

Pretty cool. Just curious......when he played there, did he play with other kids or was he always with his Dad? The old clips we see of him makes it look like he never played with other guys his age except for maybe in tournaments.

Everytime I saw him (which was almost daily...because I was at a command that was decommissioning and it was slooooow), he was either with his dad or his caddie, who was also a Navy Captain who was his sports psychologist. Same guy who helped him win all those US Am's.

Him and his dad would take a cart and his dad would sit in the cart and Tiger would just hit shots around the course.

Most of the early shots you see in that commercial are filmed at the Navy Golf Course. It even starts the commercial there.

Everytime I saw him (which was almost daily...because I was at a command that was decommissioning and it was slooooow), he was either with his dad or his caddie, who was also a Navy Captain who was his sports psychologist. Same guy who helped him win all those US Am's.

Him and his dad would take a cart and his dad would sit in the cart and Tiger would just hit shots around the course.

Most of the early shots you see in that commercial are filmed at the Navy Golf Course. It even starts the commercial there.

Kinda of sad in a way. Sounds like he didn't have much interaction with other kids but obviously everything worked out well. He's close to being a billionaire and has a family so all is good.

I wonder if I would have been a successful pro golfer if I could have had a sports psychologist as a kid?:D

Kinda of sad in a way. Sounds like he didn't have much interaction with other kids but obviously everything worked out well. He's close to being a billionaire and has a family so all is good.

I wonder if I would have been a successful pro golfer if I could have had a sports psychologist as a kid?:D

It would not have hurt. Plus,having oodles of talent never hurts either...........;)

Nice avatar..........:D

Phil needs to take a HARD look at his game and try and figure out why a half crippled Tiger ate his lunch at his home course.

BIG If, but IF you take out that quadruple bogie for Phil on Saturday's 13th, he only finished three back from the lead. By the way, Nick Faldo in the booth is just a match made in heaven. Harrison Ford and he should cohost a Golf special.

BIG If, but IF you take out that quadruple bogie for Phil on Saturday's 13th, he only finished three back from the lead. By the way, Nick Faldo in the booth is just a match made in heaven. Harrison Ford and he should cohost a Golf special.

Take out the 3 double bogeys Tiger had on Hole 1, and he wins in a cakewalk........just pointing that out.........:)

Just saying, even with his "horrific" showing, Mickelson actually didn't finish that poorly. Sunday 68!

I figured something was up........that explains it.........

So, Tiger won the US Open with a torn ACL and a double stress fracture of the tibia? I got a whole new level of respect for that dude now.................:eek:

Amen to that.

Of course, Nike, NBC, USGA, PGA, etc. are all crying their eyes out over the ratings plummet for every event from now on.

NASCAR is probably happy though.

Of course, Nike, NBC, USGA, PGA, etc. are all crying their eyes out over the ratings plummet for every event from now on.
I think Tiger's caddy would be the most unhappy of the bunch... is he still on the list of the tour's top moneywinners?

Amen to that.

NASCAR is probably happy though.

I'm sure Paul Azinger, US Ryder Cup captain, is crying his eyes out too. Of course we haven't been able to beat the Europeans the last few tries with Tiger and he has not played well in those matches for some reason. Oh well, I guess this explains why he has been so hush mouth about his injury. If he had told the world about it last year, the press would have been hounding him day and night wanting interviews to discuss the matter. He can't fart without the press asking....'What caused that?'.

Everybody keep talking about how 'focused' Tiger is when playing....

But I have seen many a time where he steps back and stares down someone who took a picture to soon.... you can't be that focused if you are disturbed by a camera click...

He is the best... no question... and sorry to see he will be out the rest of the season...

Last edited:
Just saying, even with his "horrific" showing, Mickelson actually didn't finish that poorly. Sunday 68!
He usually plays very well as long as he's not really in contention...

Back
Top Bottom