2010 Census Data

MichaelB

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
Census data is being released. Here's a summary
The U.S. Census Bureau announced today that the 2010 Census showed the resident population of the United States on April 1, 2010, was 308,745,538.
The resident population represented an increase of 9.7 percent over the 2000 U.S. resident population of 281,421,906. Commerce Secretary Gary Locke, Acting Commerce Deputy Secretary Rebecca Blank and Census Bureau Director Robert Groves unveiled the official counts at the National Press Club in Washington, D.C.
"A big thanks to the American public for its overwhelming response to the 2010 Census," U.S. Commerce Secretary Gary Locke said. "The result was a successful count that came in on time and well under budget, with a final 2010 Census savings of $1.87 billion."
Rebecca Blank, now Acting Deputy Secretary of Commerce who has overseen the 2010 Census as Under Secretary for Economic Affairs, echoed Locke. "The 2010 Census was a massive undertaking, and in reporting these first results, we renew our commitment to our great American democracy peacefully, fairly and openly for the 23rd time in our nation's history."
The U.S. resident population represents the total number of people in the 50 states and the District of Columbia.
The most populous state was California (37,253,956); the least populous, Wyoming (563,626). The state that gained the most numerically since the 2000 Census was Texas (up 4,293,741 to 25,145,561) and the state that gained the most as a percentage of its 2000 Census count was Nevada (up 35.1% to 2,700,551).
Regionally, the South and the West picked up the bulk of the population increase, 14,318,924 and 8,747,621, respectively. But the Northeast and the Midwest also grew: 1,722,862 and 2,534,225.
Link here 2010 Census
More people went to Texas than any other state.

More people went to Texas than any other state.
We tried, REW, we really, really tried.... scorpions, fire ants, tornados, hurricanes, long periods of 100+ heat, ridiculously high property taxes, rattlesnakes, chupacabras... :blush::LOL:

I am having a terrible time with the census.gov website. Maybe it's just me. But other than the reapportionment info and total population for a few states and the country, and press releases, I am not finding any 2010 census numbers at all. Everything else I go to just gives me Census 2000 information. I guess more coffee is in order.

Last edited:
I am having a terrible time with the census.gov website. Maybe it's just me. But other than the reapportionment info and total population for a few states and the country, and press releases, I am not finding any 2010 census numbers at all. Everything else I go to just gives me Census 2000 information. I guess more coffee is in order.

Aha! I have found some numbers here. Not everything I had hoped for (yet), but at least populations and changes for all of the states, and a schedule of when the rest of the info will be release (much of it not until 2012).

Last edited:
USA Today has some good comparative & interactive info here.

Thanks. That's a nice, map-based presentation of population changes and reapportionment for each of the states.

Nothing yet for the MSA's, and nothing like housing or income yet even for the states. I had forgotten how long it takes for them to get things like this up and running, after Census 2000.

Sure, it's a lot of data but that's why we have computers and programmers. I lack patience, I admit it.

I had forgotten how long it takes for them to get things like this up and running, after Census 2000.

Sure, it's a lot of data but that's why we have computers and programmers. I lack patience, I admit it.
It does seem to take forever to get all the info released. Makes me wonder if they don't deliberately string it out to make it seem more difficult than it actually is and maintain some job security.

According to this schedule, they won't finish rolling out data until June of 2013! Sheesh...

2010 Census Data Products: United States - At a Glance

Looks like my failure to post the 'chiggers and scorpions' warning en Español has come back to haunt me...

We tried, REW, we really, really tried.... scorpions, fire ants, tornados, hurricanes, long periods of 100+ heat, ridiculously high property taxes, rattlesnakes, chupacabras...

I guess some folks see these things as improvements – or attractions.

As for the data, I agree with both W2R and REWahoo. What’s with 2013? Must have some bad news hidden in there and they figure once elections start nobody will be paying attention. I was really looking forward to some good hard census data – and a whole bunch of threads around here on new topics – like taxes, income distribution, health care. Only with facts. :)

OK.... a quick calculation shows that Texas will pass California in total population in the 2060 census... both being over 60 million people.....

And if the % increase stays the same... we will be over 100 million between 2080 and 2090....

Don't these people get it... TEXAS is not a good place to live...

Heck, move to NY.... they are barely growing and dropped from #2 to #3.... we all know NY can not stand being #3...

308,745,522; 308,745,523; 308,745,524; 308,745,5??

Dang, lost count...

1; 2; 3...

308,745,522; 308,745,523; 308,745,524; 308,745,5??

Dang, lost count...

1; 2; 3...
:LOL:

Wait a minute. Lemme translate for the Texans ... uno, dos, tres...

The bureau can't release all the data until 2013 because that's how long they figure it will take to get some of the e-r.org rebels to finally send in their forms.

So it cost $6.05 to count each of us. Surely that's a bargain, right?

The bureau can't release all the data until 2013 because that's how long they figure it will take to get some of the e-r.org rebels to finally send in their forms.
:LOL:

I always forget to ask them, but I'm pretty sure the Census guy just asked my neighbors if they knew how many people live next door. Never did send in the form, got no follow up.

-ERD50

Population growth 2000-2010 of Arizona: 24.6%. Of Texas: a mere 20.6%.

When will people ever learn? How many more to die from 122F dry heat until they learn Texas is a better place to be?

Population growth 2000-2010 of Arizona: 24.6%. Of Texas: a mere 20.6%.

When will people ever learn? How many more to die from 122F dry heat until they learn Texas is a better place to be?

Heck... 122 dry is like 80 here in the swamps.... :ROFLMAO:

Nothing yet for the MSA's, and nothing like housing or income yet even for the states.

On the other hand, REW's linked article had a link in it to some 2009 (not 2010) information on housing, income, and other interesting information.

Recession affecting every aspect of American life - USATODAY.com

While the 2010 statistics are supposed to be more certain (once we get them), still, I find the 2009 information to be pretty cool.

It looks like North Dakota has some big advantages for those who can brave the climate up there. For one thing, in 2009 North Dakota homeowners spent the lowest percentage on housing (21.4%) compared with other states. Californian homeowners spent the highest percentage on housing in 2009, at 52.4%.

For another, the increase of 5.1% in median household income in North Dakota from 2008 to 2009 was the greatest in the country, more than even the increase in Washington D.C. (all the other states had a decrease in median household income).

The highest median household income in 2009 was in Maryland at $69,272, and the lowest in Mississippi at $36,646. Nationwide median household income was $50,221 in 2009.

In 2009 New Hampshire had the lowest percentage of people below poverty level at 8.5%, and Mississippi had the highest at 21.9%.

In 2009 Texas had the highest percentage of noninstitutionalized people with no health insurance (23.8%), and naturally Massachusetts had the lowest at 4.2%.

Last edited:
For another, the increase of 5.1% in median household income in North Dakota from 2008 to 2009 was the greatest in the country, more than even the increase in Washington D.C. (all the other states had a decrease in median household income).

I wonder if the discovery of a HUGE oil field helped? :D

Back
Top Bottom