Join Early Retirement Today

2010 SS Income Stats
Old 10-21-2011, 10:42 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

2010 SS Income Stats

Here's the raw data from SS:
Wage Statistics for 2010

So I entered it into a spreadsheet and calculated that if all those people with $1M+ incomes donated all their earnings equally to all the wage earners (including themselves), that would be an extra $1493.36 to all wage earners. Similarly, if the guys making $5M and above gave it all up that would be $481.68 for all of us. Not a whole lot to be gained by taxing only the CEO rich, or ensuring they have lower salaries.

If everyone shared everything we would all be making $39,959.30.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Sad part is...
Old 10-21-2011, 11:53 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Sad part is...

that 50% of US individuals make less that about 25K. I don't know how the number of retirees on fixed incomes have an impact, but I find that amazing.
Old 10-22-2011, 12:38 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REattempt View Post
that 50% of US individuals make less that about 25K. I don't know how the number of retirees on fixed incomes have an impact, but I find that amazing.
It states wage statistics taken from W-2's. So I don't think it includes retirees. I would imagine the amount of part time workers skews the average income lower.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:26 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS53 View Post
It states wage statistics taken from W-2's. So I don't think it includes retirees. I would imagine the amount of part time workers skews the average income lower.
Right. And it doesn't include money earned by 1099 "employees", sole proprietors, those working off the books entirely, etc. And, of course, this is only earned income, not income from investments.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:04 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem
Right. And it doesn't include money earned by 1099 "employees", sole proprietors, those working off the books entirely, etc. And, of course, this is only earned income, not income from investments.
The vast majority of people make their income from earned income, not investments, so I don't think the numbers would change much even were that included. The mean might change, due to the people making their money being extreme outliers on the upper end, but likely the median wouldn't change one bit.
arebelspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:06 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REattempt
That is shocking. Even with part time workers "skewing" it, that's a low number.

I wonder what the average expenses are (so counting all money spent from earned income, all debt racked up, all money from food stamps, welfare, investments, etc.).
arebelspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 03:04 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by arebelspy View Post
The vast majority of people make their income from earned income, not investments, so I don't think the numbers would change much even were that included. The mean might change, due to the people making their money being extreme outliers on the upper end, but likely the median wouldn't change one bit.
I don't have the numbers broken out as percentages of the median AGI, but non-wage, non-investment income (SS, pensions, annuities, rent income, partnerships and S-corps, business and professional) together added up to about 1/3 of the income from wages for 2004. And that's information on gross income from tax returns, so it's going to understate income from these sources at the lower income levels (since many folks don't file tax returns).

(I couldn't separate the annuity income since it was jumbled in with pensions, but I'd guess it's a fairly small percentage of the total)
Old 10-22-2011, 03:31 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

And another thing to add: A worker who worked all year at the federal minimum wage would also receive over $7,800 in tax credits (EITC, etc). After payroll taxes, the subsidy still amounts to over $6,700 per year. None of that was included in the W-2 tally from the OP. And we haven't started counting other forms of assistance that augment the incomes of low wage earners.

(Credit to Robert Ray Cummings, Sr, CPA)
Old 10-23-2011, 06:49 AM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If the stats don't include sch. C income it really doesn't mean much as many people get 1099 MISC or operate on a cash basis and have to do the sch. C.

A better picture would be to look at AGIs.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:49 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
And another thing to add: A worker who worked all year at the federal minimum wage would also receive over $7,800 in tax credits (EITC, etc). After payroll taxes, the subsidy still amounts to over $6,700 per year. None of that was included in the W-2 tally from the OP. And we haven't started counting other forms of assistance that augment the incomes of low wage earners.
Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Usually people who argue from a redistributionist standpoint are directly or indirectly gaining from government directed redistribution. The plain facts that you cite in this quoted post are conveniently ignored, because they blunt the political message- "We need, you have, government must take yours and give to me".
Ha
Old 10-23-2011, 12:18 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animorph
Here's the raw data from SS:
Wage Statistics for 2010

So I entered it into a spreadsheet and calculated that if all those people with $1M+ incomes donated all their earnings equally to all the wage earners (including themselves), that would be an extra $1493.36 to all wage earners. Similarly, if the guys making $5M and above gave it all up that would be $481.68 for all of us. Not a whole lot to be gained by taxing only the CEO rich, or ensuring they have lower salaries.

If everyone shared everything we would all be making $39,959.30.
Wouldn't have much impact here, but in Libya it is different. I read yesterday that they believe Gaddafi squirreled away 200 billion in assets world wide. Enough for over $33,000 per person in the country of about 6 million people. Amazing what a dictator can accumulate in only 40 years!
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 03:11 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Wouldn't have much impact here, but in Libya it is different. I read yesterday that they believe Gaddafi squirreled away 200 billion in assets world wide. Enough for over $33,000 per person in the country of about 6 million people. Amazing what a dictator can accumulate in only 40 years!
I wonder what his planned SWR was going to be?
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:34 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
A better picture would be to look at AGIs.
For 2008, the median AGI for individual returns in the US was $33,048. This comes from the IRS, info derived from tax returns.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:01 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Census 2010 information is that the 2010 median income for households (not individuals) is $50,046. Don't know if that is a helpful statistic or not in this context.

American FactFinder - Results

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote