Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-06-2013, 06:26 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
Questionable calls happen all the time and I'm sure it works out about even in the end. Most don't change the outcome of a game all that much, but this one was one of the worst calls ever and could not have more directly affected the outcome of the game unless the ref went up to the scorekeeper, held a gun to his head and told him to change the score.

I'm not knocking Seattle. They have a great young team which I really like, but even Marshawn Lynch himself said he felt terrible about winning the game after watching the replay.
Have to agree with you. Not a Packers or Seattle fan (Pat fan)....but I am pretty sure my Facebook post after that game was something to the effect of "If I was a Packers fan, I would be clawing my eyes out right now".

That one will go down as one of the all-time worst calls in NFL history. Right up there with the "tuck" rule call
KM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2013, 06:28 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post
Down to 8 teams :

Houston @ PATS prediction PATS
Baltimore @ Denver prediction Denver

Seattle @ Atlanta prediction Seattle
Green Bay @ SF prediction Green Bay
I agree with all your predictions except GB over SF. We'll know a week from now.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:48 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Down to 8 teams :

Houston @ PATS prediction PATS
Baltimore @ Denver prediction Denver

Seattle @ Atlanta prediction Seattle
Green Bay @ SF prediction Green Bay
I agree with all four picks. I think SF made a big mistake going with Koepernick. Atlanta had the easiest schedule in the NFL and one of the easiest of all time.
utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:03 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I agree with all your predictions except GB over SF. We'll know a week from now.
I am pulling for SF to win to set up a possible rematch with the PATS in the superbowl but I just have to give the edge to the Packers because of Aaron Rodgers.
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:34 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

I think SF matches up pretty well against GB. SF has a really good pass rush so Rodgers might not be able to pick apart the defense like against Minn. Plus, Frank Gore is no pushover as a RB. That said, when Rodgers and the offense is clicking is tough to beat.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:04 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Out here in Vegas and have been pounding the NFL chalk this weekend. Just need the back end of my money line parlay with Alabama tomorrow to win, and I will have had a very successful weekend in Vegas!
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:30 AM   #47
gone traveling

It was painful watching RGIII go down, and now there is a good possibility he will miss the entire next season. I really do not understand why they risked their franchise keeping him out there, even despite his own protests to stay in the game.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:51 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
It was painful watching RGIII go down, and now there is a good possibility he will miss the entire next season. I really do not understand why they risked their franchise keeping him out there, even despite his own protests to stay in the game.
+1

Players should not be allowed to make a decision regarding their injuries. That's the job of the medical staff.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:28 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Redskins should have played Cousins to start the second half as once when RGIII re-injured the knee, he was ineffective. That's why teams have backup QBs.

But RGIII seems old school ... like Johnny U or Bart Starr who always played hurt.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:13 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer

Redskins should have played Cousins to start the second half as once when RGIII re-injured the knee, he was ineffective. That's why teams have backup QBs.

But RGIII seems old school ... like Johnny U or Bart Starr who always played hurt.
Though I wish no injury to anyone, I am glad he stayed out there or I wouldn't have won my $2k bet. Giving 3 pts and down 14-0, I was in a world of hurt before he aggravated the knee again.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:15 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

The coach should be fired.....

Really.... RG was not that good after the 1st two touchdowns... you could see it on his face that he could not run and his passes were way off... putting in the backup at least gave them a chance of winning... keeping RG in did not.... now instead of a backup for half a game, they get one for a full season....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:26 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
The coach should be fired.....

Really.... RG was not that good after the 1st two touchdowns... you could see it on his face that he could not run and his passes were way off... putting in the backup at least gave them a chance of winning... keeping RG in did not.... now instead of a backup for half a game, they get one for a full season....
+1.

All the talk about players safety in the NFL is just that. Most coaches care much more about winning than the safety of their players.

Shanahan may end up losing his job over this and deservedly so.

BTW Cousins is a pretty good QB who already won them 2 games down the stretch.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:04 AM   #53

Quote:
+1.

All the talk about players safety in the NFL is just that. Most coaches care much more about winning than the safety of their players.

Shanahan may end up losing his job over this and deservedly so.

BTW Cousins is a pretty good QB who already won them 2 games down the stretch.
Shanahan took a team that was 5-11 last year and got them to a division winning 10-6 record this year. He made a big trade that brought the Redskins a franchise QB that will be there for the next 12 years or so. He found a running back in the 6th round that ran for over 1600 yards. He isn't going anywhere. You don't judge a coach by one questionable decision. If he had pulled RGIII out just because he was limping and they lost, he would be getting second guessed just like he is now. Plenty of QBs have played hurt and won games.
utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:13 PM   #54

You don't judge a coach by one questionable decision. If he had pulled RGIII out just because he was limping and they lost, he would be getting second guessed just like he is now. Plenty of QBs have played hurt and won games.[/QUOTE]

This questionable decision will cost him his superstar QB next year and possibly more with no assurances that he will be able to play at the same level thereafter. Keep in mind he had the same knee surgically repaired in 2009.

Making the playoffs should have been considered a major accomplishment for Shanahan this year especially when he gave up on the season back when their record was 3-6.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:15 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
Shanahan took a team that was 5-11 last year and got them to a division winning 10-6 record this year. He made a big trade that brought the Redskins a franchise QB that will be there for the next 12 years or so. He found a running back in the 6th round that ran for over 1600 yards. He isn't going anywhere. You don't judge a coach by one questionable decision. If he had pulled RGIII out just because he was limping and they lost, he would be getting second guessed just like he is now. Plenty of QBs have played hurt and won games.

Plenty of QBs have played hurt.... but usually they are effective... RG was not effective at all.... I think Wash got 80 something yards after the two touchdowns... Heck, even if he was not injured, he was playing so bad he should have been replaced...

There also is a long history of the backup coming in an winning games... the largest come from behind win in a playoff game was a backup QB against my Houston Oilers...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:49 PM   #56
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Nothing like having an opinion about something one knows little about -
I'm sure you realize we'd have to shut the forum down if we included that in the posting requirements...
Old 01-08-2013, 05:53 PM   #57

Quote:
Nothing like having an opinion about something one knows little about - none of you know exactly what went on between RGIII, Shanahan, trainers or medical staff. All you know is what you saw, hindsight is a wonderful thing. 'The coach should be fired...' - seriously?

But it would be impressive if you'd provided a recommendation before RGIII played. I sure hope RGIII fully recovers, he's amazing when he's on all cylinders.
I hope RGIII fully recovers and plays at an incredible level for years to come. Nothing is better for a sports fan than to see competition at the highest level. Having said that I based my opinion on what I saw on the field, a hobbling QB who is struggling with running and throwing the football.

Peter King from SI wrote:
"So now we come to Washington's first playoff game with Griffin at the controls, Sunday at home against Seattle. He was already playing with a sprain of the lateral collateral ligament, and, after getting banged around a couple of times early in the game, it became apparent he wasn't healthy. In fact, on a jog out of bounds shy of a first down, it was clear he was severely limited and unable to run at anything close to a sprint.

Griffin was so obviously not himself, and so tentative moving around, and the Redskins and their medical staff should have seen this. Griffin clearly has a they'll-have-to-drag-me-off-the-field mentality and needs to be protected from himself. Shanahan should know this. I believe he should have pulled Griffin out of the game before the half, for good.

But let this be a lesson to this team, and every other one in the league: It's best to put safeguards in place before something like this threatens the short-term future of the starting quarterback in the heat of a playoff game."

So if I'm a Redskins fan and my franchise QB is lost for next season and possibly longer with a possibility of not returning to form I would be extremely critical of the head coach's decision to keep him in the game.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:02 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I'm sure you realize we'd have to shut the forum down if we included that in the posting requirements...
You're right, some things are better left unsaid regardless of merit...I deleted the post (just acknowledging). PUI...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:17 PM   #59

Quote:
You're right, some things are better left unsaid regardless of merit...I deleted the post (just acknowledging). PUI...
Too late. It was read and quoted..
Old 01-08-2013, 06:21 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Too late. It was read and quoted..
That's what "just acknowledging" meant...

It's not that my post wasn't sincere, just that it wasn't worth debating with people who can't know what the people involved directly in real time said and did. And your SI quote is yet another armchair QB opinion, it's pretty easy to be "right" after the fact. And we still don't know what the outcome will be with RGIII. Though I am not a Redskins fan, I never want to see any player hurt, and I hope RGIII comes back as good as new. He is amazing like many players...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote