Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-08-2013, 06:50 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I agree that RGIII probably should've been pulled. It was obvious he was ineffective after getting hurt in the first half. I'm just saying he isn't going to get fired over it, nor should he. Like I said, if he had pulled him and put Cousins in and he didn't play well, everyone would be questioning playing a rookie in a playoff game with a total of 2 games under his belt. There was no way of knowing RGIII would get seriously hurt later.

Also, Adrian Peterson had a much worse injury in the last game of the year last year and came back to have one of the greatest seasons in history. What makes you think RGIII will miss the whole year?
utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2013, 07:56 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post
I hope RGIII fully recovers and plays at an incredible level for years to come. Nothing is better for a sports fan than to see competition at the highest level. Having said that I based my opinion on what I saw on the field, a hobbling QB who is struggling with running and throwing the football.

Peter King from SI wrote:
"So now we come to Washington's first playoff game with Griffin at the controls, Sunday at home against Seattle. He was already playing with a sprain of the lateral collateral ligament, and, after getting banged around a couple of times early in the game, it became apparent he wasn't healthy. In fact, on a jog out of bounds shy of a first down, it was clear he was severely limited and unable to run at anything close to a sprint.

Griffin was so obviously not himself, and so tentative moving around, and the Redskins and their medical staff should have seen this. Griffin clearly has a they'll-have-to-drag-me-off-the-field mentality and needs to be protected from himself. Shanahan should know this. I believe he should have pulled Griffin out of the game before the half, for good.

But let this be a lesson to this team, and every other one in the league: It's best to put safeguards in place before something like this threatens the short-term future of the starting quarterback in the heat of a playoff game."

So if I'm a Redskins fan and my franchise QB is lost for next season and possibly longer with a possibility of not returning to form I would be extremely critical of the head coach's decision to keep him in the game.

RGIII was hobbling around like Roman Gabriel (for folks who remember him) on the bad knee. Joe Buck and Troy Aikman were evening saying RGIII should have been pulled as he wasn't the same.

Isn't it a little ironic that the Redskins may have left him in too long, but as for baseball, the Nationals may have shut down Strasburg too soon.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:46 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
That's what "just acknowledging" meant...

It's not that my post wasn't sincere, just that it wasn't worth debating with people who can't know what the people involved directly in real time said and did. And your SI quote is yet another armchair QB opinion, it's pretty easy to be "right" after the fact. And we still don't know what the outcome will be with RGIII. Though I am not a Redskins fan, I never want to see any player hurt, and I hope RGIII comes back as good as new. He is amazing like many players...

It is easy to say now... and you might not believe it.... but on that run that was mentioned I was thinking that he should have been taken out right then.... and I did not know if the backup QB was any good... I just thought that the possibility of RG getting hurt further went up big time since he could not get out of the way of big linemen or strong backers...

However, it was a surprise to me how he was injured.... I would not have guessed that was the way it was going to happen...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:57 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Plenty of QBs have played hurt.... but usually they are effective... RG was not effective at all.... I think Wash got 80 something yards after the two touchdowns... Heck, even if he was not injured, he was playing so bad he should have been replaced...

There also is a long history of the backup coming in an winning games... the largest come from behind win in a playoff game was a backup QB against my Houston Oilers...
+1 It was painful watching RG3 hobble around and missing passes because he couldn't plant his feet and use his legs. Cousins had done a very credible job earlier in the season. Besides you don't risk a franchise player like that - STUPID!

On the last part, I seem to remember some guy named Brady who came in as a backup for an injured starter and did pretty well for his team...

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:07 PM   #65

Ugh! You had to bring up Strasburg? How do you bench a guy who isn't even injured, because you are afraid he might get injured? One of the dumbest sports moves in history.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:41 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
It is easy to say now... and you might not believe it.... but on that run that was mentioned I was thinking that he should have been taken out right then.... and I did not know if the backup QB was any good... I just thought that the possibility of RG getting hurt further went up big time since he could not get out of the way of big linemen or strong backers...
I believe you, because guess what - I thought the same thing at the time. I was afraid for RGIII. BUT the difference is, I would not presume to know better than RGIII, Shanahan, the trainers and the medical staff for the Redskins AT THE TIME. And to criticize the decisions the insiders made AFTER the fact is pretty lame IMO, as I said before "hindsight is a wonderful thing." Anyone can make the right decision after the fact...though it's become a great American sport, media/internet/social media postmortem trials based on secondhand heresay. Again, I hope RGIII comes back better than ever after surgery. But there is always the risk of injury in football, right or wrong it comes with the territory. And it seems the NFL has taken steps over my lifetime to reduce the risks, let's give them credit for that even if it may appear to be two steps forward, one step back at times.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:57 AM   #67
gone traveling

Quote:
I believe you, because guess what - I thought the same thing at the time. I was afraid for RGIII. BUT the difference is, I would not presume to know better than RGIII, Shanahan, the trainers and the medical staff for the Redskins AT THE TIME. And to criticize the decisions the insiders made AFTER the fact is pretty lame IMO, as I said before "hindsight is a wonderful thing."
Do you feel the same way when it comes to our politicians?
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:01 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I believe you, because guess what - I thought the same thing at the time. I was afraid for RGIII. BUT the difference is, I would not presume to know better than RGIII, Shanahan, the trainers and the medical staff for the Redskins AT THE TIME. And to criticize the decisions the insiders made AFTER the fact is pretty lame IMO, as I said before "hindsight is a wonderful thing." Anyone can make the right decision after the fact...though it's become a great American sport, media/internet/social media postmortem trials based on secondhand heresay. Again, I hope RGIII comes back better than ever after surgery. But there is always the risk of injury in football, right or wrong it comes with the territory. And it seems the NFL has taken steps over my lifetime to reduce the risks, let's give them credit for that even if it may appear to be two steps forward, one step back at times.
I would normally agree with you and give the players and coaches the benefit of the doubt but given the way he was limping when he ran and could not plant himself to make passes it was pretty obvious that he could not be effective and should have been taken out if Washington was to have a chance to win. In other words, a healthy Cousins > a limping RG3. I think that was the assessment of many even before the play where RG3 twisted his knee that took him out of the game.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:02 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Do you feel the same way when it comes to our politicians?
In some respects yes, but that would require a separate thread...

Old 01-09-2013, 08:57 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Coaches will always be second guessed..... I have seen a lot of times when a coach has a lot of time outs and will let the clock run to 'save' them.... and time will run out and they still have a time out remaining.... sure, they know more than me by a long shot.... but some decisions are pretty easy to call...

NOW, if RGIII had rallied to win the game and had not been injured, there would be a lot of talk about how great a decision the coach made to keep him in the game.... I still would have thought he was stupid for doing it, but would have been amazed at the feat...

BTW, I could care less about which way the decision was made.... for me, either team winning was OK... I, like others, hope the injury will turn out to be less than what has been reported and he does come back better than ever...
Old 01-09-2013, 06:28 PM   #71

There are reports that RGIII should be ready to start next season on time assuming no set backs during rehab.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:38 AM   #72
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
There are reports that RGIII should be ready to start next season on time assuming no set backs during rehab.
I also read in the paper this morning that when its your 2nd ACL repair (which it is for RGIII), it can take 11 months to recover. Time will tell how quickly the recovery time will be for RGIII, but I hope it happens in the shortest possible time span and he comes out of it at 100%. He's an outstanding young man, and a role model for old and young alike.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:33 AM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Just to add to the discussion....

Last night I read that the team made 44 yards in 6 series after his first injury of the game... as I said, he should have been replaced because he was not effective...

I do not understand why in football they keep a player in that clearly is not playing well... in baseball, if the pitcher is being hit hard and giving up runs, they take him out.... if a batter is in a slump and they need a critical hit, they put in a pinch hitter.... even some of the best players have been yanked for a pinch hitter....

In football, they can put in the backup and if he does not do anything, they can put the starter back in.... in baseball, the guy is not available... so it should be easier in football....
Old 01-10-2013, 01:56 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

DW won't be happy, but today's Power Rankings are:

1 Denver
2 New England
3 San Fran
4 Atlanta
5 Green Bay
6 Houston
7 Seattle
8 Baltimore

Don't care about Seattle either way, but they seem more dangerous than 7th. And while I have to pull for NE (or DW will shoot me), it would be a great story if Peyton pulls this off. He was much beloved in Indy, down the road from us. We'll see what happens this weekend...

Old 01-10-2013, 06:07 PM   #75

I think Seattle is going to beat Atlanta.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:10 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
I think Seattle is going to beat Atlanta.
+1
Old 01-10-2013, 10:50 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
+1
The Seahawks have been playing quite well ever since the start of the regular season. The few games they lost were always by only one score, which they might have won but for a missed field goal, a dropped pass, or a bad coaching decision. They never loss a game this season by any "blow-out" margin, but instead won some at the end of the regular season by wide margins. (See the Hawks' Season Recap here.)

Thus, but for a handful of plays, they could easily have been the No. 1 NFC seed in these playoffs instead of Atlanta. Plus, the Seahawks faced, and beat, tougher opponents this season than did NFC No. 1 Seed Atlanta. (See Atlanta's Season Recap here.)

With all the above said, this weekend playoff game between the Seahawks and the Falcons promises to be a doozy.

Go Hawks!
Birdie Num Nums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:19 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie Num Nums View Post
The Seahawks have been playing quite well ever since the start of the regular season. The few games they lost were always by only one score, which they might have won but for a missed field goal, a dropped pass, or a bad coaching decision. They never loss a game this season by any "blow-out" margin, but instead won some at the end of the regular season by wide margins. (See the Hawks' Season Recap here.)
Or maybe played well enough for the first half of the season, and peaking at the right time - going into the playoffs. Russell Wilson could have a big career, and I expect Atlanta will have their hands full...
Attached Images
File Type: png RW2012.png (6.4 KB, 3 views)

Old 01-11-2013, 01:19 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Out of the past 11 rematches in playoffs with teams that got waxed by 28 or more points in last 4 weeks of the season, the losing team won straight up in 7 of those against the team they had been previously smoked by. Possible bad omen for the Pats (who the Jets did this too, a couple years ago), and Broncos (who won easily a few weeks ago vs. Ravens). I went 4-0 on playoffs and had a nice winning weekend in Vegas. Couldn't resist losing a small amount of my lucky profits, by putting a few small wagers before I left just to hold my interest. A 2 team ML parlay Ravens and Pack, $100 to win a $1000. I'm not holding my breath on it, but if you parlayed Broncos and 49ers for a $100, it would barely win you a $100, so what the heck. I took Atlanta straight up, only because Seattle is the obvious upset choice of the four games.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:20 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

I don't bet. But as winners this weekend I'm picking Broncos, 49ers, Patriots and Seahawks.

I remember back in the day of w*rk and the weekly football pool, this one woman (she was a better) would purposely pick all the upsets each week. She'd win the weekly pool a couple of times each year. But the cumulative points she didn't fair that well.