Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

23 year old lottery winner..............
Old 06-06-2009, 12:38 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

23 year old lottery winner..............

Good article on a young man who comes from a family that could use a break. Sounds like a guy who won't end up blowing it all.

SD lottery winner 'will not squander' $232M prize - Yahoo! News
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2009, 12:43 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

From the article:

Quote:
Wanless, who is single
...and is about to get thousands of marriage proposals a year, including dozens from women who wouldn't give him the time of day in high school...

Quote:
Dave Assman, who owns farmland next to the Wanless ranch...
Wow, that's an incredibly unfortunate name. If he's married, I hope his wife kept her maiden name. I don't think I'd want to be known as Mrs. Assman...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 03:25 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post

Quote:
Dave Assman, who owns farmland next to the Wanless ranch...
Wow, that's an incredibly unfortunate name. If he's married, I hope his wife kept her maiden name. I don't think I'd want to be known as Mrs. Assman...
He's lucky, his parents could have named him Dick Assman
Old 06-06-2009, 03:29 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
He's lucky, his parents could have named him Dick Assman
If his real given name was Richard, then he did that part of it to himself.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 04:24 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Hmmmmm...23, single, nice looking farm boy, suddenly rich.

Way too young for me but Mr. Neal Wanless is gonna get real popular very soon.
Maybe we should invite him to join the forum ?
Old 06-06-2009, 04:29 PM   #6
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Hmmmmm...23, single, nice looking farm boy, suddenly rich.

Way too young for me but Mr. Neal Wanless is gonna get real popular very soon.
Maybe we should invite him to join the forum ?
He needs someone older and experienced and willing to sign a prenup.
Old 06-06-2009, 04:41 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
He needs someone older and experienced and willing to sign a prenup.
But how would I explain him to dh2b?
Old 06-06-2009, 05:07 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
But how would I explain him to dh2b?
Tell him you spend a reckless youth in Ontario and........then
Old 06-06-2009, 05:38 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
Tell him you spend a reckless youth in Ontario and........then
The math w*rks...I'm 50, the young man is 23...<cipher click whirl>...

The geography w*rks...I'm close to the Canadian border...

You're a genius...I like it!

My long lost millionaire son.
Old 06-06-2009, 06:57 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post

Even then it wouldn't be pleasant - she'd still be known as the Assman's wife.

If he gets married he should take her name and be done with it...
Old 06-07-2009, 01:39 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I agree with Dawg, the young man probably won't blow it all but would be interesting to see a follow-up in five or ten years.

I knew a middle-aged man who won a big lottery and broke one of the rules mentioned in the article; they tell the winner to wait a year or two before buying real estate. They guy immediately had a large place built, missed his old neighbors, although he gave the house to relatives so visited by-weekly, didn't like the new house and neighborhood and then had another house built where he lived out his life.

The article also mentions that winners get isolated socially, I didn't notice that happening to my friend; since he was able to retire early, he spent time reconnecting with family and friends including myself and never mentioned winning the lottery. I didn't know until several years later when someone told me. Also, he didn't have a problem with people asking for money. Obviously YMMV.
-----
Edit: I'm not a gambler so I don't get blowing $15.00 on lottery tickets when you are eking out a living.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 04:25 AM   #12

I was struck by this phrase:

Quote:
But she said Wanless will likely experience the same sense of isolation that many other large jackpot winners do.
"They've lost their peers. They are substantially different from everyone that they know," she said."

I imagine that would be quite true for your average person.

I have a friend who won the lottery 2 years ago. He was in late career in finance and was already a millionaire several times over. As were almost all of his friends. Everyone thought it was a novelty that one of their friends won the lottery, but it didn't change any relationships.

He did retire a year after he won, which was maybe 3-4 years earlier than he would have done otherwise. Other than that when I asked what had changed in his life he said "Now when they hand me the wine list I start at the bottom and work my way up".

(he was being modest, he's also a pretty active philanthopist these days)
Old 06-07-2009, 06:56 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice View Post
I was struck by this phrase:
Quote:
But she said Wanless will likely experience the same sense of isolation that many other large jackpot winners do.
"They've lost their peers. They are substantially different from everyone that they know," she said."
I imagine that would be quite true for your average person.
I think so, too. Come to think of it, he might even have to leave his impoverished county, change his name, and establish residency in a big city somewhere if he wants to get away from this isolation. Even then, there is always the possibility that he would be found out.

It's easy to say and think that our problems would all be solved if we won the lottery. But in reality, that would not be the case for many of us. Getting a bonus at work would be much easier to deal with than a lottery win. Nobody asks you to give them money or buy them a car due to your having received a bonus.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 07:13 AM   #14

My friend who won (~45MM) was very much concerned about his name being publicized. Of course the lottery people want to publicize your name, its good advertising.

He hired a lawyer to help him figure out what his options were. His first question to the attorney was 'can I sell the winning ticket'? He hoped to sell it to some investors at a slight loss and let them claim the prize - and the resultant publicity.

Alas, in his state it was not legal.

So, knowing he had to publicly claim the prize, he hired a PR person and gave him the mission to minimize news exposure. He said the PR guy gave him great advice - including advising him to read from a piece of paper at the (obligatory) news conference. He said no TV station will roll a tape of someone reading from a script. They were right.

By and large he has avoided the normal assault from the public that you always hear about. He changed his phone numbers just in case.