Join Early Retirement Today

2am, black friday shopping....someone smack me!
Old 11-27-2009, 07:26 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

2am, black friday shopping....someone smack me!

why, oh why do i let my wife drag me out for this crap.

a few years back it made sense to stand around in the cold to save $300 on a TV. This year....she wanted to save $5 on dvds and $7 on a few shirts. Next thing you know, i'm down $600 bucks and dont need any of it!

I am not a very social person when it comes to crowds and chaos...and i can be very outspoken in certain situations where everyone else is shy. wellll....at old navy, which i despise anyhow, im in line waiting forever to save my $12 and some kid casually comes up behind me (the line wraps around an aisle at a 90 degree turn, and he's trying to squeeze in). but he doesnt have to balls to do it, so every time i shift my weight, or turn my head, he holds a pair of jeans up acting like he's deciding if he likes them and inches in. the lady in front of me takes a defensive stance and gets on her phone, quietly whispering about the a$$wipe trying to cut in line...other people i'd been in line with are whispering under their breath. then the kids friend comes and says "how'd you get so far up in line john?" I politely announce" He DIDNT. He's tring to weasel his way with this move..." (as i demonstrate the "im just looking at these pants and happen to be using them as a battering ram" move". he looks at me and says 'yeah, ive gotta use my moves today..this is crazy." i reply 'well try it somewhere else. and while youre at it, stop touching me. back up'. he says ' oh, all you had to do is say something' i say 'i just did'. then he sheepishly walks 50 ft to the back of the line. then the people around actually applaud!

an hour later while in line outside of target, aforementioned a$$wipe slips under a caution tape barrier and casually slips in line about 20 people in front of me while acting oblivious, using the ' im pretending to be on my cellphone and im distracted' move. everyone that sees him is talking amongst themselves, but does nothing. at this point, i was more than happy to go remind him that his newist 'dick-move' (not sure where i came up with that...but it sounded good on the spot) wasnt going to work. he again walked to the back of the line...this time about 500 feet!

now im exhausted, and aggravated. time for a nap. at least we saved $250. hahaha. and spent 600....not sure how that happened...
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2009, 07:29 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I could be a 'people' person, if people weren't such a$$holes.
Payin-the-Toll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 07:31 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I did the Black Friday thing one time. Never again! I'll gladly pay extra to avoid that mess.
Old 11-27-2009, 07:40 AM   #4

I haven't done Black Friday shopping since about 1974. DW gave it up about ten years later.
Old 11-27-2009, 07:56 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I really have to go grocery shopping today - I am out of food (Thanksgiving was at someone else's how so no leftovers). Target is in the same big shopping center as HEB. I sure hope I can find parking!!!

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 08:31 AM   #6
Gone but not forgotten

I have never done the early black Friday shopping but I have ventured out in the afternoon and by then it's pretty sane . I'm going refrigerator shopping . My fridge is starting to leak and freeze the food in the refrigerator . It's thirteen years old so it's probably time .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 08:57 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

The only place you'll find me shopping today is right here, in front of my home computer. I can't stand crowds, and especially black friday shopping crowds.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 09:33 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I'm going refrigerator shopping . My fridge is starting to leak and freeze the food in the refrigerator . It's thirteen years old so it's probably time .
You might want to hold off a while...

Old fridge? "Cash for Appliances" looms
Old 11-27-2009, 10:19 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

No way would I go shopping today, certainly not the early a.m. variety. Just back from a walk with the mutt at the reservoir. Drove by Walmart and it looked like a mad house. I wouldn't go in there if the Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders were there, performing nude. Well..........maybe I would, but you get my point.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:47 AM   #10

I did the Black Friday thing once....you couldn't pay me to do it again!!!
Just shop throughout the year and save!
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 11:12 AM   #11

Last night on the 11PM local news, the TV camera showed people that were camping out at Best Buy overnight in order to get the "great deals" when the store opened. Then the news reporter mentioned that the station had checked and found the same "great deals" being offered online by Best Buy. Bummer!
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 11:27 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed View Post
why, oh why do i let my wife drag me out for this crap.
'cause you said "I do".

Never ever have shopped the black plague, neither does DW have any interest in that, mercifully, else I'd have call for divorce.

Console yourself with a favorite potent medicine, say Marie Brizzard, or perhaps some fine single malt.
Old 11-27-2009, 12:01 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I looked at the newspaper ad yesterday and saw all kinds of good deals. However, these are for people who needed them, and I needed nothing.

The only thing I could think of buying is a Netbook PC for my wife to surf the Net (her 7-yr old laptop starts to act up, and it's hardware, not software). Saw several stores selling them for less than $200, but I am not going to fight the crowd for it. I suspect that, between now and Xmas, that price will become permanent, and I can pick one up at my leisure.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 12:04 PM   #14

I can't reach you from here.
cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 12:20 PM   #15
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
You might want to hold off a while...

Old fridge? "Cash for Appliances" looms

Thanks , I may see if I can wait for the rebate . I missed the cash for clunkers so maybe I can finally get some of the stimulus money .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 12:26 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

It's not fair!

I need "Cash for Efficient Motorhomes" which brings the price of diesel MHs down to that of the gas models. Where are my lawmakers when I need them to do something for me?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 12:36 PM   #17

wow....sorry for that rambling post/complaint.....i was delerious. i'm okay now after a 4 hr nap!
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 12:51 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, I got up at 0530 to try and get a new lappy from office depot online. Believe it or not I jump through all the hoops and actually score one for the good guys. Get my order confirmation by email - OH goody goody ------ and then a couple hours later I get the phone call -- OD made a mistake - NO lappy for online purchases only for the in store idiots. Thanks for nothing OD, which is exactly what they offered for there screw-up. I'd call it Bait & Switch with NO switches allowed...

Drat you office depot...
JustNtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 01:35 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

My wife went to Staplese to get some hard drives, phone and a digital picture frame. I slept in.
Old 11-27-2009, 01:44 PM   #20

I didn't leave the house. The offers and deals came in e-mail this morning. I was planning to buy some good quality Alaskan salmon and Pacific shrimp from a place I bought from in the past. Lo and behold, they sent me a coupon for 15% off. So, I got my black Friday deal right here at my kitchen table, on good stuff I was going to get anyway.
kat is offline   Reply With Quote