Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

2GB of free Google Drive storage
Old 02-10-2016, 08:14 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

2GB of free Google Drive storage

Google is offering an extra 2GB of storage to celebrate Safer Internet Day 2016. All you need to do is go through their security checkup.

Google Drive Blog: A quick checkup and a simple thanks

Enjoy!
tulak is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2016, 09:28 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiki View Post
Google is offering an extra 2GB of storage to celebrate Safer Internet Day 2016. All you need to do is go through their security checkup.

Google Drive Blog: A quick checkup and a simple thanks

Enjoy!
Thanks, I'm sure many will find this useful.

Amazing, in an ironic way: If I take their course on Internet security and privacy, Google will let me have 2GB of additional storage--and they'll harvest all kinds of salable data from what I put there, passing those "nonattributable" () bits to whoever wants to buy them. Why do I feel >less< secure?
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 05:42 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Thanks. I use Google for all my storage.

But I noted at the bottom that it said that everyone will get additional 2G storage on Feb 17, 2015.... what?
Old 02-11-2016, 05:47 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the heads-up. Someone had posted a similar one a while ago and I missed it (too late), but I just completed it again and will see if it takes this time. I learned in that previous thread that Docs things don't count against your storage, so I'm only using less than 150 MB of my 15 GB allotment. But in the true American spirit of "if you see something bigger, take it!" (you'd think I'd live in Texas, wouldn't you?), I'm in.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 06:06 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Thanks. Just got my 2G. I didn't use the links supplied in the blogspot post to access my account settings but went directly from Gmail. As always, I was paranoid the blogspot article might turn out to be a phishing attack to get my password.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Thanks. Just got my 2G. I didn't use the links supplied in the blogspot post to access my account settings but went directly from Gmail. As always, I was paranoid the blogspot article might turn out to be a phishing attack to get my password.

+1.

I double-checked the link multiple times before I went ahead and entered my user info. It's always good to be a bit paranoid.

The extra 2GB showed up in my Google Drive account within an hour.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:53 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I'm OP on the other thread mentioned. I think the way this has been written up in the blog is not so clear. It may not mean all get the free 2gb. Thanks for posting this free upgrade notice.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 06:08 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
I'm OP on the other thread mentioned. I think the way this has been written up in the blog is not so clear. It may not mean all get the free 2gb. Thanks for posting this free upgrade notice.
I KNEW I remembered your username from somewhere! I recall that thread morphed a little into a discussion about external storage devices (which, at the time, I was hot on the trail of, anticipating relocation without a solid PC backup).

My extra 2 gigs showed up on Drive this morning. I will add that into my list of assets in my estate.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:01 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I KNEW I remembered your username from somewhere! I recall that thread morphed a little into a discussion about external storage devices (which, at the time, I was hot on the trail of, anticipating relocation without a solid PC backup).

My extra 2 gigs showed up on Drive this morning. I will add that into my list of assets in my estate.
That reminds me to upload some sort of instructions to gdrive to guide my heirs, or foreign hackers, whoever gets there first.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 11:12 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
That reminds me to upload some sort of instructions to gdrive to guide my heirs, or foreign hackers, whoever gets there first.
Well, this morning I thought of something obvious (maybe not so obvious, or I'd have thought of it before) to do with this newfound pit of free storage space. Maybe it's been posted/suggested before, I didn't check.

Like lots of people, I'm out and about on a regular basis and carry a wallet. It's not out of the realm of possibilities that, under certain circumstances, I could come home without that wallet (I was going to say, "these days, ya never know.... blah blah", but actually it's always been true).

If I were to be parted from my wallet, I'd want to recover the things I have in there (not a whole lot but there's a reason why I carry what I have) and would want to recover them where possible. So making a list of the wallet contents (while I still have it in my hands) would at least be a start.

I wouldn't be stupid about it (no CC numbers or anything), just "Visa, Amex, insurance.." as a memory jog for reference that'll hopefully never be needed. But the "cloud stuff" is available anywhere (even offline, at least in the case of Google Docs).

Old 02-14-2016, 11:48 AM   #11

List the customer service numbers you'll need to call and cancel those cards ...

Sent from my iPhone
Old 02-14-2016, 12:09 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
Well, this morning I thought of something obvious (maybe not so obvious, or I'd have thought of it before) to do with this newfound pit of free storage space. Maybe it's been posted/suggested before, I didn't check.

Like lots of people, I'm out and about on a regular basis and carry a wallet. It's not out of the realm of possibilities that, under certain circumstances, I could come home without that wallet (I was going to say, "these days, ya never know.... blah blah", but actually it's always been true).

If I were to be parted from my wallet, I'd want to recover the things I have in there (not a whole lot but there's a reason why I carry what I have) and would want to recover them where possible. So making a list of the wallet contents (while I still have it in my hands) would at least be a start.

I wouldn't be stupid about it (no CC numbers or anything), just "Visa, Amex, insurance.." as a memory jog for reference that'll hopefully never be needed. But the "cloud stuff" is available anywhere (even offline, at least in the case of Google Docs).
I keep photos of my current drivers license, passport, medical card, and CC's online. Just lay them out and snap a shot with your cell phone before leaving on a trip. Sign in is needed to view them. This is secure enough for copies of those documents. You hand them over to third parties on a daily basis. All of those folks can steal the info, clone the cards, etc. That is a more likely loss point than someone hacking your account and just as consequential.