Join Early Retirement Today

3 beeps can't find
Old 02-09-2023, 06:34 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

3 beeps can't find

I just replaced the all the smoke alarms which were sadly out of date but I am still getting 3 beeps from somewhere in the house.

How else can I find this? There is no CO detector and nothing new in here.
badatmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2023, 06:48 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

We had an unused smoke detector that had been placed out of sight in a cabinet. It took us quite a while to find that one.
Kwirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 06:50 PM   #3

Check the back up battery in your garage door opener, I went through the same exercise a few years ago. If that's it aftermarket ones can be purchased on Amazon on EBAY far cheaper than the manufacturer. I think I paid about $12 the last time I bought one, I think mine failed after about 5 years or more.
RetiredAndLovingIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 06:51 PM   #4

My garage door opener has a battery? You mean the remote?
Old 02-09-2023, 07:15 PM   #5

I will take it out but its pretty loud I don't think I'd hear it in here.
Old 02-09-2023, 07:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwirk View Post
We had an unused smoke detector that had been placed out of sight in a cabinet. It took us quite a while to find that one.
Since I am original owner I am confident that is not the case but good suggestion.

I will have to keep a log I would say 2 or 3 times a day I get this beep beep beep.

I am sure I needed the smoke alarms anyway as the old were 20+ but . . . .
Old 02-09-2023, 07:25 PM   #7

Unplug/take battery out, whatever it takes to shut each smoke detector off. Do this one at a time for 24 hours each and see if you still hear the beep. Maybe one of your new detectors is bad. Also, look up the detectors manual and see what an infrequent beep means. Maybe you did something like not connect some wires correctly and one has come lose.
Old 02-09-2023, 07:35 PM   #8

My internet provider installed a cabinet in the basement that includes the fiber interface, a router, an (unused by me) wireless router, and a UPS. It beeped like that when the battery in the UPS got old. I called them out and they replaced it at no charge.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 07:36 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

How many detectors are tied together on the run? A small voltage drop/surge can set one of them off. A high humidity placement of one, may also set one of them off.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 07:58 PM   #10

Am at work and feeling too lazy to quote but no humidity here as I live in a desert and it is in the living room that I hear the noise not like near a shower. 4 in a row small house.

Had a handyman do it as one was mounted with like a bolt? and I could not get it out. He said that one was not wired into the system properly and "fixed" it. They tested okay and have green light.

I removed battery form the garage door opener as advised.

No UPS here or basement.

This is going to sound really stupid but I thought the old ones #2 was bad and had taken it down but then I could not get the bolt out right but I was still getting beeps even with it out of battery and in the garage. So I replaced them all anyway bc they were quite old.

I will keep a log of the beeps to see how far apart they are.

The manual says if defective it would be like 1 beep per minute for 3 beeps and this is like 1 per second and then hours will go by and nothing.

I will take the new one down as suggested above. They are fairly loud chirps not like real alarm but not quiet and I am pretty deaf at certain ranges. I hope I find it before I get to the highest one as my ladder is too short.

Thanks for all suggestions handyman says it must not have been that though I think he is afraid I blame him. He did what I asked and replaced them so I have no complaint.
Old 02-09-2023, 08:24 PM   #11

I don't mean the remote. There is big black battery inside some garage door opener units so if the power goes out the garage door can still be opened using battery power. I have a display on the wall and when the battery goes bad it flashes a warning but the first time it happened I didn't know that and hunted for the source of the beeps for days.
Check your model specs to see if you have one. They are usually in a compartment with 2 screws and just pull right out of the unit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20230209_191559272.jpg (276.9 KB, 52 views)
Old 02-09-2023, 08:36 PM   #12

Check this video

Old 02-09-2023, 08:54 PM   #13

Thank you. I know it doesn't work if no power unfortunately. But I didn't know some did either.
Old 02-09-2023, 09:46 PM   #14
Dryer sheet wannabe

More ideas: Our refrigerator beeps when the filter needs changing. When the house alarm battery needed changing, there was beeping. Maybe it's the battery for your heat/ac temperature control panel.
c998877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 02:59 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by c998877 View Post
More ideas: Our refrigerator beeps when the filter needs changing. When the house alarm battery needed changing, there was beeping. Maybe it's the battery for your heat/ac temperature control panel.
I'll attack those in the morning. Darn green light in the new smoke alarms is bright so I need to cover that up too.
Old 02-10-2023, 07:30 AM   #16

My Roku remote beeps if you accidentally push the find the remote button.
qwerty3656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 07:38 AM   #17

I'm going to offer free advice to the Smoke and CO Association of Manufacturers (SCAM).

CHANGE YOUR AWFUL DESIGNS.

1 -- When the battery goes low......provide an LED that blinks for location. And then add a 10 cent storage capacitor with enough juice to power it til daylight (why do they always fail at night?)

2 -- Change the battery location from that woeful 'swinging door' design to a more human-friendly ergonomic. Replacing the battery on a step ladder, with a beeping alarm in your face, is a challenge.....especially at night (why do they always fail in the middle of the night??).

Rant Off.
Old 02-10-2023, 07:49 AM   #18
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveDriver View Post
I'm going to offer free advice to the Smoke and CO Association of Manufacturers (SCAM).

CHANGE YOUR AWFUL DESIGNS.

1 -- When the battery goes low......provide an LED that blinks for location. And then add a 10 cent storage capacitor with enough juice to power it til daylight (why do they always fail at night?)

2 -- Change the battery location from that woeful 'swinging door' design to a more human-friendly ergonomic. Replacing the battery on a step ladder, with a beeping alarm in your face, is a challenge.....especially at night (why do they always fail in the middle of the night??).

Rant Off.
Nest smoke and CO alarms meet all your criteria. I get an email when the batteries are running low and the app icon on my phone shows an alert. All quiet.

No swinging door to change the batteries, one twist and the whole detector comes off its holder in the ceiling then there is easy access to the batteries.

Of course, it is a step change up in price compared to the simple detectors mostly available.
Old 02-10-2023, 08:15 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Do you have a CO detector? I had one one time beeping and it took me some time to finally figure out that the beeping wasn't a smoke detector, but a CO detector plugged into a wall outlet.

The garage door opener got me back in December, as I couldn't figure out how to get my Subaru to stop beeping (went throughout the owners manual trying to find the "secret handshake" to make it stop). Fortunately, the morning I was getting ready to take it to the dealer, I took it for a quick ride and DW noticed that the garage was still beeping in the absence of the Subaru.
Mark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 08:24 AM   #20
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My FIOS service has special batter that powers the unit that I connect my router to. When the batter is near its end of service life, the unit beeps. I spent the better part of the week looking for the source of the beeps until I remember that the FIOS device was hidden behind a small table. Out of site, out of mind. I ordered a replacement battery from Amazon and no more beeps.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote