39 years ago today....

Kristinia

Dryer sheet aficionado
It is hard to believe but 39 years ago today I was getting off the plane in San Antonio TX heading for AF basic training at Lackland AFB. I remember it being cold in the mornings as we did PT and hot in the afternoons as we marched from place to place. It is amazing how significant this time was in my life. Funny how everything I learned in basic and tech school has stayed with me my whole life. I stayed in the AF for 8 years traveling to NY, OK, CO, and the Philippines (while Marcos was in power) and it was fun and I enjoyed my time. I never considered making the AF a career as I was ready to do something different after 8 years but I have never regretted my time. It was great for a kid that had no idea what she wanted to do other than get out on her own. Funny to look back on those years and laugh at how hard I thought some of the things I had to do were. But oh what fun memories they are :)

Thank you for your service. It's fun to look back with fond memories and think about the impact the military has had on our lives.

Thank you for your service.

I remember seeing so many new AF graduates at Seaworld there when my oldest and I were there in 2013 for the Junior Olympics (they ran cross country & got a free ticket to Seaworld)

Now that "kid" will graduate and commission from their service academy in a little over a year.

Hey, at least I know they'll be employed for the next several years...

It is hard to believe but 39 years ago today I was getting off the plane in San Antonio TX heading for AF basic training at Lackland AFB.

This brought a smile to my face - been there, done that. :)

While flying into San Antonio frequently for work back in the 80's and 90's, I remember all the eager young folks on those flights, clutching large manila envelopes. I loved to eavesdrop on their conversations, many boasting about what they were going to accomplish in the Air Force once they got through basic training. Poor kids had no idea what the next few weeks had in store for them. :LOL:

I spent three years at Lackland (Medina Base Annex, to be more accurate) as an OTS instructor. It was both the most enjoyable (students, co-workers) and frustrating (school commandant had zero integrity) job I ever had.

It is funny how when you look back after some period of time, you recall the good memories and tend to forget the bad ones. We also don't realize at the time the value of the experience, and how it will affect us later in life. That doesn't always make it change the difficulty of getting through, however.

Jan was 42 years for me. Standing outside for an hour or so getting shouted at at 0100. I remember thinking how could a place located where San Antonio was be so efffin' cold!

I spent a couple years in NY too. For some reason they were two of the best years even with 150 inches of snow and rainy, rainy summers

Biggest life's lesson learned in Boot Camp: Have respect for other people's work. Not enough people paid attention to that one.

Joined the Army National Guard in Jan 1975. Went active a few years later. Got downsized when the Soviet Union imploded. After a break, I joined the reserves. I ended up meandering through a 30 year career. My military pension and healthcare were instrumental to retiring at 60. Lot's of sacrifice, but for me, it paid off.

I often think that some form of compulsory service (not just military) would be good for our citizenry.

It is hard to believe but 39 years ago today I was getting off the plane in San Antonio TX heading for AF basic training at Lackland AFB.

June 4, 2018 will be 54 years ago I did the same thing as I left Connecticut as a skinny young lad. I remember the HEAT of Lackland that 12 weeks I spent there (thought I was in Hell that summer). Now I live in Texas.:D

Joined the Army National Guard in Jan 1975. Went active a few years later. Got downsized when the Soviet Union imploded. After a break, I joined the reserves. I ended up meandering through a 30 year career. My military pension and healthcare were instrumental to retiring at 60. Lot's of sacrifice, but for me, it paid off.

I often think that some form of compulsory service (not just military) would be good for our citizenry.

I agree about compulsory service. Unfortunately so few high school grads are really prepared for our armed services.

But I will say the Vietnam War and the draft made for many young men to be motivated enough to go to college. Many youngsters that got into trouble made good Marines and later productive citizens. Now, the same type of young men are into meth and thievery and spend time in our county jail time and time again.

My 3 college roommates retired from the Air Force--colonels. Two were pilots.

Could there be another? ha ha. Yep.

Actually when I was in NY it was at the now defunct base, Plattsburgh AFB. Was actually stationed there during the 80 olympics that were held at Lake Placid. Remember the year there was no snow during the winter games? I actually worked the switchboard handling the calls during this time. And yes it was an actual switchboard :). Yes awesome memories and as someone mentioned previously, we tend to remember the good times and not so much the times it was hard to get through. But I would not trade that experience for anything....

Thank you for your service.

With a high Body Bingo number back in the day, I never had to, nor chose to serve. I owe a lot to those who do/did.

June 4, 2018 will be 54 years ago I did the same thing as I left Connecticut as a skinny young lad. I remember the HEAT of Lackland that 12 weeks I spent there (thought I was in Hell that summer). Now I live in Texas.:D

Yes the heat even in April! We used to file out to do PT at 5am and would be freezing. The TI would ask if we wanted to wear our flak jackets to stay warm and we all said yes! Not knowing that we had to wear them ALL day. It only took one time for that to happened before we toughed it out in the morning so we would not suffer the rest of the day having to wear our jacket everywhere we marched to and of course you know the hurry up and wait march! And funny - I now live in Texas too!

April, 1975 for me, spent 6 years in the Air Force, basic training was quite the experience.

I agree about compulsory service. Unfortunately so few high school grads are really prepared for our armed services.

But I will say the Vietnam War and the draft made for many young men to be motivated enough to go to college. Many youngsters that got into trouble made good Marines and later productive citizens. Now, the same type of young men are into meth and thievery and spend time in our county jail time and time again.

My 3 college roommates retired from the Air Force--colonels. Two were pilots.

Military seems the best-kept secret for paying for college today.

It's how my kids are getting their undergraduate (and possibly graduate) educations, one at a military academy, one hopefully via a ROTC scholarship.

Kids don't even need to go active, since plenty of states will pay tuition at their public schools if they just join their state National Guard.

Back
Top Bottom