4 cylinder vs 6 cylinder

everything is superior with front wheel drive in bad weather except the thrust of the article was if you start to skid and slide in a fwd dont follow the instructions in the manual that comes with the car. recovering requires gas and brake at the same time to pull out.following the manuals recommendation which was never revised is for rear wheel drive.

When I took emergency manuever driver training, my instinct was to stay on the throttle while attempting to recover, but I learned from trail and error it does not work as well as getting completly out of the throttle before gaining directional control. The advice in the article which is ten years old seems oriented to rally driving /power drifting.

when it comes to fwd thats kind of how you regain control. modern stability control does exactly that, works gas and brake together at the same time to regain control.

when it comes to fwd thats kind of how you regain control. modern stability control does exactly that, works gas and brake together at the same time to regain control.
good point...I agree, sort of. It's just not the same unless you can modulate brakes individually and feather throttle to balance between wheelslip and wheel lock in milliseconds.

Sorry....I feel responsible for driving this thread into the ditch.....lost control and could not recover. I merely wanted to address someone's comment that 4WD helps in braking situations which many of us agree is wrong and a common misconception among SUV drivers.

We have had one of the most severe winters here in 20 years. Based on MY observation alone, the majority of vehicles I have seen in the ditch, rolled over in the median, etc, are SUV's..........I doubt that is an anamoly across the USA........

Which type of vehicle are you more likely to get your "doors blown off" by passing you, a Camry or an SUV? Case closed..........:)

We have had one of the most severe winters here in 20 years. Based on MY observation alone, the majority of vehicles I have seen in the ditch, rolled over in the median, etc, are SUV's..........I doubt that is an anamoly across the USA........
I think it's due to a false sense of security. People try things in 4WD SUVs because they assume the vehicle is more immune to the laws of physics, and drive accordingly. As they find out the hard way, they aren't immune.

as a 4x4 and fwd car owner i agree. the stability of it cruising compared to a front wheel drive makes it feel like dry pavement . that is as long as you dont have to stop or turn fast. i constantly have to watch my speed ..... its the same on rain slicked roads, theres no fishtailing when you go thru unexpected puddles on the highway like with a 2 wheel drive car and again you just seem to go to fast for conditions..

Back
Top Bottom