Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-10-2018, 08:44 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I was in the 11th grade in Japan then and joined a three week home stay program during summer and stayed with a family who lived in San Jose. My first exposure to the American culture. It was so exciting.
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2018, 09:04 AM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
I was at a concert with a pretty girl, she's sitting next to me right now. It was August 8, 1974...

Where were you and what were you doing 44 years ago?
I would not remember anything to the exact date. But that month, I started the freshman year in college, having been accepted to two colleges (with the highest score in the entrance exams at both schools) and chose to go to the one that would virtually guarantee employment upon graduation.

I should feel at the top of the world because economic security was something even 18-year olds were preoccupied with, in that time and place, but I was not. I was madly and hopelessly in love. Too long a story to tell here.

For a while, I would wander the streets on rainy nights on my motorcycle, with a particular song in my head. Some years later, I researched for this song on the Internet, but could find nothing about it. Now, it seems there's a revival, and there are several copies of it on Youtube. It was an international hit in 1973, but unknown in the US.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:02 AM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I was playing foosball at the local foosball hall. They had a TV on and saw Nixon's resignation speech. I was 16 at the time and having the time of my life. The following year, I met my DW. Just celebrated our 39th anniversary.
PatrickA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 12:16 PM   #64

1 year old. Dumping loads in my diaper and letting my parents clean it up.
HawkeyeNFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 01:11 PM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

I was on strike with the United Mine Workers Union. I had gotten a job in the mine to get $$ to go back to college and had worked just over the 60 days needed to (mandatory) join the union. It went on strike, three days later it settled with management, but since I was summer help and was only contracted for the summer, management told me not to report for work as I was terminated. Three friends in a similar situation who were hired just days later got to finish out the summer and got an additional two weeks pay, which was huge to a college kid. For the PRIVILAGE of joining the Union for three days and missing out on those two weeks pay the union took out dues from my last check.

But, I had saved enough to continue my education.

I remember Nixon resigning and his last helicopter ride out, but I wasn't too interested.

And so it was August 8, 1974, good night and God bless......
MOSAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 10:34 AM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

I was in a bar in East Lansing, Michigan. Everyone in the place was relieved that Nixon was leaving, but astounded that that left Gerald Ford (from nearby Grand Rapids) president.
Mmm Rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 02:28 PM   #67

A bit late to the thread: I was ten years old living on FE Warren AFB in Cheyenne, WY. I was really excited because I could get my own ID card at age ten and when I did, I would ride my bike off base to go to the local corner store to buy some candy.

I do remember when Nixon resigned. I was naive, but I remember telling my Dad that I did not understand why this was a big deal as I believed people should be able to quit a job if they didn't like it. He replied that that was true but that no president had ever resigned in US history. He was like that---I didn't realize until later how much he understated things that way.

Similar with the men walking on the moon. He picked my up, plopped me in front of the black and white TV and said, "You are watching history." Still remember it.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:48 PM   #68
Full time employment: Posting here.

Turned 19 yrs. old on 8/7/74. Probably was in a bar as Illinois changed drinking (wine/beer) age to 19 in early 1974.

Spent that summer working for Yellow as a cabbie. Now that was an interesting job for a 19 yr. old in Chicago. Grew up fast !
golfnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 09:11 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmm Rrr View Post
I was in a bar in East Lansing, Michigan. Everyone in the place was relieved that Nixon was leaving, but astounded that that left Gerald Ford (from nearby Grand Rapids) president.
I happened to be in GR over the weekend. We ended up going to the Gerald Ford Presidential museum (Library?) It was very interesting and brought back a few memories. Ford was only VP for a few months before he got the step up. Agnew had resigned in October & Ford was sworn in December 1973. Ford was very popular in Congress and was confirmed by a very wide margin.

Also Betty Ford was a groundbreaker for the time. Instead of the quiet First Lady she was out there supporting causes. The ERA, then she had breast cancer and was very public about that. And of course the Betty Ford center

It was a nice few hours.
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 09:53 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

We were being transferred back to Memphis after a very long 2 years working in a somewhat toxic Terre Haute, Indiana.
Instead of our neighborhood smelling like a chemical factory, it smelled of barbecue and smoking hardwood.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 09:57 PM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

Newly graduated from high school. On my way to state university. Probably hanging out with neighborhood friends.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:44 AM   #72
Confused about dryer sheets

1974, I was 14 and ABBA won the European Song Contest in Brighton. Pop music was my thing then and it was fantastic
DelMarGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 09:11 AM   #73
Full time employment: Posting here.

I was 10 years old and still basking in the afterglow of The Philadelphia Flyers first Stanley Cup win that May. And probably riding my bike with a bowling ball to the summer league. That was always fun when we couldn’t get a ride from parents!

On a side note, my genealogy research seems to be showing an 8X great grandfather named Milhous, as in Richard Millhouse Nixon. That makes us cousins of some degree! So stop picking on my cuz!
Popeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 06:37 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

For me, it was just another day at Megacorp. Don't particularly remember anything about it except watching the speech that evening. Now, when Agnew resigned the year before, I recall where I was and what I was doing. Weird, but YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote