4th of July

Happy fourth, everyone. Grandkids came by. Hamburgers, hot dogs, potato salad, usual fare.

They did get on my computer and I got this link from them. For all y'all still working especially, here's a way to look busy and be happy.

http://gamesloth.com/play.php?game=kickups

My high score was 49.

Even good for ERs.... :LOL:

Hanging out - digesting the food - about two hours to fireworks - visibility good.

9 o'clock rock - back deck - cold one - visibility unlimited - biggest is New Orleans fireworks on the river - seven visible in the distance - toward St Taminy, St Bernard - not to mention a local pier up the lake cutting loose with some pretty big stuff.

Inspires the kid in me - and no - will wait till New Years - me.

Heh, heh, heh - Happy 4th everyone.

Well it's July 5th and I'm back at the hell hole.:( Tough getting up when it's barely day break. The dog slept in as I got ready for work. Someone tell me that the next 15 months will go quick. I need some reassurance before I slit my wrist. :-\

DOG50 said:
Someone tell me that the next 15 months will go quick. I need some reassurance before I slit my wrist. :-\

Dog, step away from the razor.

You've got to get another perspective on it or you will hurt yourself. You can't think of it as "15 more months" :(, but rather as "only 15 more months!" :D.

I'm reminded of my first assignment in the military - to Korea, 13 months unaccompanied. After the first thirty days my unit threw a big party for me to celebrate the fact that I only had one year to go! :D... :D... :) ...:eek:... :( ...:mad:

REW

DOG50 said:
Well it's July 5th and I'm back at the hell hole.:( Tough getting up when it's barely day break. The dog slept in as I got ready for work. Someone tell me that the next 15 months will go quick. I need some reassurance before I slit my wrist. :-\

I've conditioned myself to consider "time flying" to be a bad thing :(.
However, I still can feel your pain :-\

Rats - semi - working with Ms Cindy headed our way - out in rain bringing in the lawn chairs and the SO's out door potted plants.

Predicted storm surge touch and go whether to move vehicles up to the road - based on the "Slosh Model".

Any IT types familar with that term - I always have seen predicted storm surge - but this is first time I noticed slosh model.

DOG50 said:
I need some reassurance before I slit my wrist. :-\
I know a retired naval officer who STILL celebrates the anniversary of the day she transferred from Keflavik (Iceland) to Monterey-- 20 years ago.

You have 15 months to go-- one day at a time-- and there's no getting around that. But think of how many ER anniversaries you'll be able to celebrate AFTER that 15th month!

Just a follow up to my July 5th return to work. When I get back to work, I find that our main frame computer has crashed. Hardware people tells us the hard drive is corrupt. They put a new one in, then they can't reload our tapes. They ship the computer to Texas for our software company to reload.  At this moment on 7/7/05, we are still down as they are having trouble with our backups. We may have to go back and re-construct our data because our in-house computer person did a poor job of backing up. Chaps my butt.  :rant:

I'm not gonna slit my wrist, but I feel like  :uglystupid:.  January 1, 2007, please hurry!

DOG, as Monica Lewinski's former boss said, "Crawl under my desk, and I feel your pain."

I know it isn't a lot of help, but I always try to put disasters of this magnitude in perspective. What's the worst thing that can happen? Your company loses some money? You lose your job? That's bad, but no one will be physically injured or die as a result of a computer crash. (Unless you strangle the idiot who didn't back up your data :D).

REW

[modified to correct the spelling of "idiot" - don't want Al to blow a gasket)

Computers back up and running after being down all week. Talk about the born loser, here I am on a Saturday night at work trying to get caught up. I'm 225 miles inland from the gulf and it is raining cats and dogs outside. Hope our power doesn't go off as it did with Ivan. But being the loser that I am, it will.  :uglystupid:

One bad disk brought down the server? Anyone there heard of parity with striping? They need RAID 5!!! You might suggest that to them for next time.... :-\

Some peoples idea of a decent server is pretty amazing.

I remember one sales outfit in 1992 with 75 sales folks using one server for all their contact info, sales software and voicemail. It was an old '286 machine with a single small disk drive locked in a closet that ran to ~120+ degrees, and when I opened it up to look inside there was about 5lbs of dust clogging up the innards. I ran a couple of dskchk's on it and each one came back with more bad sectors. "I think I figured out why you guys keep losing voicemails and customer contact info..."

Much more recently, at my last job, the sales units (why is it always sales people?) got tired of IT not being able to deploy software they liked, so they bought white box servers, loaded them with OS/2 (I'm not making this up) and some database software and then left them under the admins desk in all the sales offices. They received no maintenance or other administrative work for the next 6 years.

Laurence said:
One bad disk brought down the server?  Anyone there heard of parity with striping?  They need RAID 5!!! You might suggest that to them for next time.... :-\

Yes we have heard of this. Over a year ago my boss talked to our computer support people about having a back-up server being located at one of our other sites. I'm not a computer person but for what ever reason the project bogged down and didn't get done. My opinion is we need a new support team to analyze our situation and get a good recover program in place. It will probably be a hot topic here for awhile, but will die down again as things get back to normal. I just hope this doesn't happen again before my 12/31/06 retirement date.  :-\

I feel your pain, don't let them get away with this! ;)

When I was the server admin, it was understood that our web site being down was bad, our email being down was bad, and our file server being down was bad, but as long as there wasn't data loss, you would keep your job. If there WAS data loss, well, polish up that resume! Your IT department has a messed up set of priorities, I'm glad you only have 18 months to go! (yay for you!) :D

Back
Top Bottom