Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-17-2016, 10:09 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
...I enjoy travel, but I don't enjoy the high cost
Who does? The high cost that is.

Some people do not like some activities, even if they were free. For me, that would be watching spectator sports. You would have to pay me big money to watch it on TV, let alone getting me to go to a stadium filled with tens of thousand of cheering people. That's torture.

So, I fully understand if someone does not like to travel. It entails some work and often quite a bit of inconveniences. And it is indeed expensive, even if one economizes. So, no need to do it if one does not get anything out of it.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2016, 10:21 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
So, I fully understand if someone does not like to travel. It entails some work and often quite a bit of inconveniences. And it is indeed expensive, even if one economizes. So, no need to do it if one does not get anything out of it.
Are there any retirements lists that don't include travel? I've lost track of how many people that have asked me how much I'll travel now that I have retired. I must have missed a meeting...is this a mandatory question? I told one person that I thought travel was boring and they looked at me like I had just loudly passed wind...
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 10:35 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

We like you the way you are. Travel (cheap or expensive) or no travel.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 11:32 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The only one I agree with is Travel.

Many don't have pets. Education? I am retired and all my education comes free from internet. High Tech home? I want less tech to simplify my surrounding. Fitness? I work out 3 times a week at home which is free.

Instead, I should budget more money for entertainment and donation.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 11:55 AM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Travel - Hope to do a lot more once fully retired. For now a relatively small portion of budget. Most travel is with RV, which is paid for. Just fuel, camping fees (if applicable), food and beer for expenses. Some occasional motorhome preventative maintenance and repair expenses.

Pets - Three large dogs, that probably get better health care than many lower income folks.

Education - None, what I want to learn I can read for free on internet or similar sources.

High Tech Home - No need, see item called Pets, that is my home security; supplemented by Smith & Wesson, Glock and Ruger. I live out in country a bit, so DSL is extent of what I can get for high tech. I don't need a wifi thermostat

Fitness - Walking or running outside is free.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 01:54 PM   #46

Travel - Not so much, we generally don't enjoy it. We like day trips in the car but that's about it.

Pets - No thank you. I grew up in a house full of pets and enjoyed them, but I don't want the work that goes with taking care of them.

Education - I'll take the occasional photography class but the rest of my ongoing learning is online or reading.

High Tech Home - I'm not gonna bother. Just more bells 'n whistles to break down and then I'd have to call some expensive guy to fix it 'cause I don't have a clue how it works.

Fitness - We do maintain a gym membership and go every other day, rarely skipping any days. Well, I rarely skip days, DW is a slacker sometimes if there is a schedule conflict with something else she wants to do.
Old 12-17-2016, 02:57 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
Are there any retirements lists that don't include travel? I've lost track of how many people that have asked me how much I'll travel now that I have retired. I must have missed a meeting...is this a mandatory question? I told one person that I thought travel was boring and they looked at me like I had just loudly passed wind...
Everybody in my and my wife's extended families loves to travel. My niece and her husband even took time off without pay, in order to have enough days off to do a bicycle trip in Europe, for 4 weeks I think.

You probably would not understand it the same way I do not see how people pay so much money to see a ball being chased around, or tossed in a basket.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 03:09 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
You probably would not understand it the same way I do not see how people pay so much money to see a ball being chased around, or tossed in a basket.
Come to think of it, some of those pro sports ticket holders often like to talk about how much they payed.

This season the 49er's QB cured me of any interest in watching "my team". Why should I care about very well paid dumb sports guys?
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 08:49 AM   #49
Full time employment: Posting here.

Education - I once read an article about a guy who retired to a place near a university where he could take courses as a senior, and for 20 years from age 60 into his 80s he took one course each semester and totally loved it. To me, that sounded like heaven; nothing more exciting than learning something new in a stimulating environment. Reading and using the internet are fine, but passive; learning with & from others one to one is important too, especially for someone who tends to be reclusive.

Pets - I've had 2 cats & one day may get another. Yes, I was sad when they died -- it surprised me how much -- but grief is the price you pay for love. Travel is an issue though.

Technology - Not much, & don't feel the need for it.

Travel - A major expense & worth every penny to me. I did some wonderful trips in connection with my first j*b & it whetted my appetite to see more of the world (& return to places I liked). I just pulled the trigger last week for a last minute trip to Rancho la Puerta, a resort/spa I've "always wanted" to go to. It sounds heavenly & I can afford it, so why keep putting it off?

Fitness - I do need this & isn't it the best investment? I do sporadic activity on my own, but I think a gym membership, sooner rather than later, would help get me into & stay with a good routine. And, inspired by comments from others on this forum, I need to keep reminding myself not to skimp on paying for high-quality, healthy food.
lucky penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 09:58 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Travel - Still have a handful of major trip to do, but also looking forward to some slow-go roadtrips. Not sure of the agenda for this year; maybe Yellowstone.

Pets: Nope! Love dogs, love cats, but, as we say about boats, better to have friends with pets...

Home tech: Not really interested. Have a programmable thermostat, and a couple of old X10 modules for dimming the torchieres in the living room.

Education: Being a naturally curious person, I learn new things regularly, but not interested at this juncture in signing up for classes. Schedules give me hives! [emoji12] Might someday take a photography class, but that's about it...

Fitness: Have been active most of my life, of late being weight training, walking, and bicycling. Plan to continue those, but need to work more on flexibility. Use the oil can too often...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote