Join Early Retirement Today

$590 million lottery winner still has LBYM habits
Old 06-14-2013, 08:07 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

$590 million lottery winner still has LBYM habits

"Old habits appear to die hard for 84-year-old lottery winner Gloria Mackenzie. According to the Daily Mail, the great-grandmother from Zephyrhills, Fla., who won $590 million on the lottery two weeks ago, is still being driven around in her son's gold Ford Focus and shopping at Wal-Mart. Instead of spending her fortune on lavish dinners, she's eating at local crab shacks and taking her leftovers home in doggie bags."

Lottery-winning great-grandmother lives simply

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2013, 08:25 AM   #2

I hope she and her family lives well ever after.
chris2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:08 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Actually, I think that's kind(How come I just got an annoying pop-up survey?)a sad. Not that windfall recipients should go nuts, but they should at least be able to enjoy the fruits of their good fortune. I'm not presuming to judge how someone should spend their money; this is a case where (IMO) frugality is so ingrained that the poor woman is incapable of enjoying her prosperity. That's the part I think is sad. YMMV.

Tyro
Old 06-14-2013, 09:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
"Old habits appear to die hard for 84-year-old lottery winner Gloria Mackenzie. According to the Daily Mail, the great-grandmother from Zephyrhills, Fla., who won $590 million on the lottery two weeks ago, is still being driven around in her son's gold Ford Focus and shopping at Wal-Mart. Instead of spending her fortune on lavish dinners, she's eating at local crab shacks and taking her leftovers home in doggie bags."
Bless her heart! I'm with her - I'll take a local crab shack over a lavish dinner any day of the week.

I hope the money makes her remaining time comfortable and enjoyable -
however she defines that for herself.
Calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:42 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyro View Post
Actually, I think that's kind(How come I just got an annoying pop-up survey?)a sad. Not that windfall recipients should go nuts, but they should at least be able to enjoy the fruits of their good fortune. I'm not presuming to judge how someone should spend their money; this is a case where (IMO) frugality is so ingrained that the poor woman is incapable of enjoying her prosperity. That's the part I think is sad. YMMV.

Tyro
I think that she is doing what makes her happy. I can connect with that. If I won a huge lottery, I wouldn't change anything either.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:47 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

The article did say that she is building a luxury home. I hope she makes it accessible and hires staff who can provide for her every need as she ages. She certainly deserves it!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:16 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post

Bless her heart! I'm with her - I'll take a local crab shack over a lavish dinner any day of the week.

I hope the money makes her remaining time comfortable and enjoyable -
however she defines that for herself.
She could always just buy the crab shack and have her dinner there every night on command.

Spending down the lump sum in her lifetime would take a lot of work!
Old 06-14-2013, 10:26 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I think she should have included her kids/grandkids etc. on the winning ticket.... when she passes, the gvmt will get a good chunk of what remains... some tax planning early could have saved a lot of money....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:34 AM   #9

I assume if someone is spending for lottery tickets (not very LBYM to my mind) they have a reason. Building a new home seems like a decent way to spend it. But not spending it would be a little strange after buying tickets.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I think she should have included her kids/grandkids etc. on the winning ticket.... when she passes, the gvmt will get a good chunk of what remains... some tax planning early could have saved a lot of money....
She is sharing the winnings with her son (the same one who is driving her around in the Ford Focus and who will be residing with her in her new house):

Gloria C. Mackenzie, Powerball Lottery Winner, Claims $590 Million May 18 Jackpot

omni
Old 06-14-2013, 10:38 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

It's only been two weeks and she is completely unused to having such moolah. Planning for a big lottery win is more than could be expected, because it is so unlikely. Give her time.....
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:17 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
She is sharing the winnings with her son (the same one who is driving her around in the Ford Focus and who will be residing with her in her new house):

Gloria C. Mackenzie, Powerball Lottery Winner, Claims $590 Million May 18 Jackpot

omni

Good to know... when I heard it on the news it made it seem like she was just giving him some money... not the same as letting him own half right away..
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:57 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

The federal government could not be happier when the big winner is 84 years old, considering the big cut in the form of income tax and estate tax.

She is sharing the winnings with her son, but is she giving some gifts to the woman she cut in line of and therefore lucked into the quick pick winning ticket?
bondi688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondi688 View Post
She is sharing the winnings with her son, but is she giving some gifts to the woman she cut in line of and therefore lucked into the quick pick winning ticket?
I did see this article about the woman and her child who politely let the lady (who won the lottery) go in front of them in line. No regrets for woman who let lotto winner cut in line

I've not heard anything about the winner sharing her winnings with them.

(If these are easy pick tickets -- isn't it more a function of time (rather than location) when the actual numbers are printed on a ticket? So, a split second sooner or later might have resulted in the wnning numbers being printed out on a ticket in Miami or Orlando, for example.)

omni