Join Early Retirement Today

65% Spend More Time with Their Computer than Their Spouse
Old 01-24-2007, 10:26 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

65% Spend More Time with Their Computer than Their Spouse

I'm looking in your general direction, JG...

REDWOOD CITY, Calif., Jan. 22 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- 65 percent of consumers are spending more time with a computer than with their significant other, according to new independent research commissioned by support.com.

Conducted by independent research firm Kelton Research, the "Cyber Stress" study confirmed consumers' growing relationship with technology in their everyday lives. In fact, more than 8 out of 10 Americans (84%) say they are more dependent on their home computer now than they were just three years ago(1).

Considering the large role computers play in people's lives today, experts agree that computer problems can sometimes cause significant emotional distress, similar to what happens when a problem occurs between spouses.

"As computers become increasingly pervasive in our lives, our relationships with them can begin to seem almost as important as a relationship with a significant other. When problems then occur with the computer, it often leaves people feeling frustrated or helpless," says Dr. Robi Ludwig, renowned psychotherapist and host of TLC's reality series "One Week to Save a Marriage." "On my show, I teach couples that they don't have to be an expert in resolving tough marital problems, they simply have to know whom to turn to for support. With the introduction of support.com, consumers can have a trusted advisor to turn to for technology relief when they experience frustrating technology problems."

SupportSoft's "Cyber Stress" study was conducted between December 2006 and January 2007 and involved 1001 nationally representative Americans age 18 and older with PCs and broadband Internet access. The survey results indicate a margin of error of +/- 3.1% at a 95% confidence level.

http://sev.prnewswire.com/computer-e...2012007-1.html
soupcxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: 65% Spend More Time with Their Computer than Their Spouse
Old 01-24-2007, 11:44 PM   #2

DW and I have our computers in rooms with facing doors about 10 feet apart. We can see each other and talk to each other while we both spend time on our computers. When we are traveling and staying in a hotel, we take only one computer and take turns catching up. Our time with our computers is time with each other.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 05:13 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am not sure what this means but since my name was used.

I do not believe I ever neglected my former spouse in favor of the computer.
She undoubtedly would disagree. That said, it's interesting that
two (2) sources of such pleasure also contain the seeds of such
frustration and trouble.

At a dinner party the other night, I opined that I loved women
(in general) but that they had caused me more problems than
anything else in my life. Men through the ages have pondered
these issues.

JG
Old 01-25-2007, 08:24 AM   #4

This is an interesting thread.

My middle brother stopped by our place last week. He was telling me about the very situation re: computers, but not about the spousal situation, but his grandchildren.

My brother played in the NFL for 6 years, and my sister-in-law was a college swimmer, and missed in the Olympic Trials by a fraction of a second.

Both his sons were outstanding athletes.

The lineage is there, but his 3 grandchildren are overweight, and spend most of their recreation time on the computor.

I'm not a sociologist, but I think there is more of a link to the computor, than there is to "Fast Foods", re: the crises of over-weight children.

Jarhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 08:26 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._johngalt
At a dinner party the other night, I opined that I loved women
(in general) but that they had caused me more problems than
anything else in my life. Men through the ages have pondered
these issues.
JG
My sister (divorced twice) was known to opine the same thing about men. Of course, when she asked me my opinions on the two men before she married each of them: BIL #1: "He's a loser, and you'll get hurt" (happened), and BIL #2 "He's a cocky liitle bast--d, and I think you'll butt heads" (true). After awhile she quit asking my opinion.............

The key is finding a person who shares ENOUGH of the same core values as you do. That BS about opposites attract may be true in the beginning, but I can say from personal experience those relationships were doomed to failure by their very nature...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 09:19 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I know I'm in love. Just got my new Dell laptop. My dog will have to take a back seat for now.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead*

The lineage is there, but his 3 grandchildren are overweight, and spend most of their recreation time on the computor.

I'm not a sociologist, but I think there is more of a link to the computor, than there is to "Fast Foods", re: the crises of over-weight children.

It's both - Computers & television reduce time for other activities - as kids become more sedentary, they gain weight - but especially if there are unhealthy foods around - eating carrots all day and staring at the computer does not make an overweight child...and most foods in the grocery store are unhealthy, especially stuff marketed for kids!
Old 01-25-2007, 12:56 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgeeeee
DW and I have our computers in rooms with facing doors about 10 feet apart. We can see each other and talk to each other while we both spend time on our computers. When we are traveling and staying in a hotel, we take only one computer and take turns catching up. Our time with our computers is time with each other.
This is sort of my situation. DH and I have the computers in the same room. Frequently, he plays World of Warcraft online while I do other things. We're not always talking to each other, but we can if we want to.

peggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 01:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Same here, but we also have his and hers laptops on the nightstands. And in the kitchen. It's a social device.
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 01:17 PM   #10

Oh yeah. Posts from Peggy and Wab reminded me that sometimes we choose to email each other from 10 feet away rather than talk. If I find something she will be interested in and might like to discuss but know she's focused and busy on something else, the email is a good way to postpone the discussion until it is more convenient for both of us.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 03:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Oh yeah. Posts from Peggy and Wab reminded me that sometimes we choose to email each other from 10 feet away rather than talk. If I find something she will be interested in and might like to discuss but know she's focused and busy on something else, the email is a good way to postpone the discussion until it is more convenient for both of us.
This is how my marriage began to deteriorate. First we got the computers, then we got better computers, then my ex began to help his department with their computer problems, then he began to work all the time and send me emails, so that eventually he said that it was "easier" to discuss difficult topics by email. Yes, it was easier for him.

Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 03:48 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Hmm, probably true in our household as well, depending on how you measure it. But we do have our computer desks side by side and read to each other those things we find that are interesting. I often say, "So remember that guy SG/Wab/TH/Brewer and how he says you should pay off/keep mortgage, well here is a post...."
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote