Join Early Retirement Today

7 and 10 Year olds attend Funeral?
Old 06-02-2021, 10:56 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

7 and 10 Year olds attend Funeral?

My daughter will make the final decision, of course, but she asked my opinion. Maybe others here have been down this road.
We don't know cause of death yet, but my daughter's 41 year old brother-in-law just died suddenly at his home, apparently in his sleep. He was single, so he may have died as much as a full day before being discovered. 2 questions:
1) My grandchildren are 10 and 7, and saw their Uncle on a regular basis.
Autopsy required by law, so we don't know yet when it will be done and thus funeral timing. But funeral may be as early as tomorrow (Thursday). The kids haven't been told, yet. I told DD that I think it would be better to have the kids attend the funeral. They are both smart for their ages, and I thought attending a formal "goodbye" would be better for them. Am I wrong?
2) DD's mother-in-law is 82, with Alzheimer's. She has a full time in home attendant, still has some cognition, and they believe she still knows her children. Do they tell her?
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2021, 11:11 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I dunno... 7 and 10 are a bit young, but at the same time it probably isn't a bad time for them to start to understand the circle of life. Do you know whether it will be open casket or closed casket? I think the first funeral I went to was my grandfather's when I was about 12 and I'm pretty sure it was open casket. If closed casket, then definitely let them go if they want to so they can have closure on their uncle's sudden death... if open casket then I'm more on the fence but would suggest that your DD talk with them about it.

On the second part, definitely tell her as they don't really know how much cognition there is there.... but I wouldn't tell her more than once... IOW, if she subsequently mentions the deceased because she forgot that they told her that he has died, find a way to dodge the question... "he's doing fine".

No right answer... so just my 2c.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 11:19 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am certainly no expert on funerals, but I did spend 30 years as an elementary school teacher/principal, so I know kids. My take is to never force a child to attend a funeral, let them decide with guidance from the parent(s). This guidance can be in the form of discussing fears the child has, as well as assessing the child's emotional maturity in handling it. If they do decide to go, do not force them to view the body. Allow the child to set the pace on their involvement in the proceedings. Just my opinion.
erkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 11:19 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I attended my grandmother's funeral when I was 6 and again at 8. I think it helped me understand life and death better.

On the dementia I don't know. My DM was demented her last ten years and depending upon the time frame would/wouldn't have been able process.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 11:23 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I agree with them attending the funeral - they’re old enough IMHO.
JRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 11:26 AM   #6

I think my first visit to a funeral home was when I was about ten. Open casket, and I was quite nervous about it, but once I got through the visit I was fine. Just another part of life, and something to learn about.
Old 06-02-2021, 11:31 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Absolutely, but don’t force them if they don’t want to go.
Rocky mtn high is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 11:38 AM   #8

I attended my first funeral mass at 8 or so, and wake at 10 or 11. Agree on letting the children decide, though if there is a choice between a wake and a memorial service, the memorial service may be easier on them.
Out of Steam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 11:39 AM   #9

10 yes, 7 no, so probably best for them both to stay with a family member for the event while others attend the actual funeral.

Then if there's a gathering, a less formal family thing, bring them there.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 12:02 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

I don't think they are too young
qwerty3656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 12:23 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

It depends on the kid, of course. But I tend to think that both of them should go to the funeral if they want to go, after being told how long it might be and what goes on.

They should have the choice of going for the same reasons that adults go; to help them cope with their grief.

Edited to add: I am assuming the kids have been taught how to behave well and normally are not disruptive.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 12:25 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

My personal view is that we've tried to detach all the realities of death from our everyday lives and we need to understand it as a natural part of life. I say this after watching my husband die quietly at home in hospice care. I wouldn't have had it any other way. My oldest granddaughter is 7 and I'd consider it a good opportunity to address the fact that we're mortal.

I do think any viewing should be left up to the kids. Explain that their Uncle won't quite look like they remembered him but it's a last chance to see him if they want to. Don't make them get any closer than they want to get.

The funeral is less likely to be traumatic and I'd let them attend, especially if they go to religious services regularly. If they don't they may find it boring or confusing but that's also something you should leave to them.

Let us know how it works out!
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 12:39 PM   #13

I attended several funerals growing up from I would say about age 8. I was part of a small close knit community and my parents saw the need to always pay their respects and took us with them. I willingly went, out of curiosity, and was absolutely terrified and scared that I too may die especially when the funeral was of someone younger and/or quite emotional. I don’t regret going to the funerals and don’t think it scarred me in anyway. I just think I was a little scaredy cat and I still am.
Letj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 01:47 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I was about 10 when I attended my first funeral (grandmother)... I still remember it well but it didn't really bother/affect me that I recall... It's just a reality of life.
Old 06-02-2021, 02:04 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Sure.
Funerals are part of transition.

It is a lot less traumatic than living through a revolution and watching tanks firing into houses, people getting shot on the street, thrown off of balconies, hanged or dragged behind trucks which I saw and lived through in Hungary at age 9. 1956 Russian invasion of Hugary. After that military service was a piece of cake

Death and funerals are part of the lifecycle, the sooner one understands, the less the mystery of where do we go from life.
Old 06-02-2021, 02:57 PM   #16

Regarding the deceased's mother, I concur that telling her once is important, but she will likely revert to assuming he is living and it would be distressing for her, if you tell her each time she brings his name up, that he has passed. I learned this with my DM( who had ALZ), when she would ask where her DH (my Dad) was. I quickly realized that it made her really sad/distressed to face that reality repeatedly, so I resorted to evasive tactics which satisfied her, rather than causing a groundhog day sort of repeated grief.
Old 06-02-2021, 03:07 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

As an old doctor who had a parent die suddenly when I was very young, I would tell both children about the death and allow them to attend the wake, funeral and burial( or other disposal of remains). I would frame it as a way of saying goodbye. They are old enough to feel sad about their uncle and the services will help.
Remember a child's fantasy of a the wake,funeral, disposal of remains may be worse than the reality.
I agree with poster Golden sunsets(above) regarding mother with dementia
Old 06-02-2021, 03:52 PM   #18

Yes, to the kids going to funeral service. In my opinion, it would be a disservice to the kids, who were involved in their uncle's life, to deny them the opportunity other family members get to say goodbye. This is part of what families are about. And it is part of kids' maturing and growing process, within a safe family environment. They need not be raised as a couple of snowflakes.

And yes to telling the mother-in-law. Why should she be denied the right to know, and who has the right to deny her that knowledge? Especially when some consider that she "still knows her children"?
Old 06-02-2021, 04:01 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

If it was my children, I would tell them and encourage them to participate but I would not force them. I would use discretion wrt open casket or other sensitive areas. Certainly they could attend a repast to the extent that such things still exist.
Old 06-02-2021, 04:08 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I would let the kids go if they want to. For MIL only tell her once. You don’t want to have her relive the grief a bunch of times.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote