7 inch tablet for about $174

7 inch tablet for about $174

When I first read that, I thought 'egads ....do you break it apart or swallow/insert the whole thing?'

sSc_spin.gif

I have been shopping for a reader / tablet. I am not sure if I want a reader or a tablet. I will have to look at some at a brick & morter store.

I love my 7" Samsung Galaxy tablet. Wifi. I paid just over $200 at Costco about 4 months ago.

I love my 7" Samsung Galaxy tablet. Wifi. I paid just over $200 at Costco about 4 months ago.

I like mine also... I wish it were a bit thinner as I have the older version...

It does OK with browsing and I have a number of games downloaded...

I have been shopping for a reader / tablet. I am not sure if I want a reader or a tablet. I will have to look at some at a brick & morter store.

With an android tablet you can download apps for all of the available ereader formats (kindle, nook, epub, etc.). Some of the ereaders limit you to their specific format although there are usually ways to get around that.

I hope they add a model for $50-$75 more with USB and an SD-card slot. W/o those, it might be a nice take-along device, but not verstaile enough for what I want.

-ERD50

I have the Kindle Fire and it is the best of both worlds .
I have a Kindle Fire too, purchased for those infrequent plane trip vacations. Better then lugging around a laptop and I don't want to spend too much because these things will evolve year to year. Will get it's first real use next week in France. :)

I read that Google helped design the Kindle Fire. Since the Google tablet is newer and perhaps more general purpose, it might be superior.

Didn't Samsung just loose a billion dollar law suit to Apple over this? Apple is now trying to halt sales in the USA. I imagine they could become an expensive brick sometime soon....

Has a micro SD card slot and I have downloaded the Kindle reader...even though I have two Kindles.

I got an iPad a few months ago. Not sure if I need another mobile device now. What would be the interest of having an iPad plus Nexus ?

I got an iPad a few months ago. Not sure if I need another mobile device now. What would be the interest of having an iPad plus Nexus ?
Probably would be overcomplicated but the reason I bought a Kindle Fire (similar size, a bit heavier) then Nexus (which was not out yet) is for street use. The sizing would make it easier to pull out in a city environment for looking at a map, etc. At least that is the theory. Will be testing it on a vacation next week.

With an android tablet you can download apps for all of the available ereader formats (kindle, nook, epub, etc.). Some of the ereaders limit you to their specific format although there are usually ways to get around that.
And you can download non-Amazon apps, simply by turning on the "Allow Installation of Apps" under the device options on a Kindle.

It's funny. I purchased the Kindle not for its e-reader capabilites, but to allow me to experience the tablet "experience", without the cost of an Apple tablet.

What actually happened is that it did not meet my requirements, but DW took it as "her own" to be able to play WWF, email, news, and of course to "kill those pigs".

For her, the compact design works best since we do travel quite often. While some folks don't like the idea of only wi-fi, teathering to her smart phone gives her the ability to communicate wherever in the world she currenly is traveling (BTW, we fly to Scotland next Friday).

Will we upgrade to another tablet? Only time will tell. I only know that the Kindle (or any small format device) really meets 98% of our-hers requirements for a portable "info device".

Everybody is different (as in all other areas under discussion). As for me? I still like the "base" of a desktop (with a 24" monitor) while I'm at home along with direct/cable connect rather than wi-fi when doing financial tasks, and the abilities of a netbook while traveling...

Last edited:
Google is offering their 7 inch Nexus table for $199 including $25 credit in their Play store.

https://play.google.com/store/devic...ource=ha-gdn&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=HPP

I would think it would make a nice travel companion, unlike a smartphone whose screen is too small or full size tablet which is too big, IMHO of course.

Evidently with all the rave reviews that the lexus 7 tablet received they are pretty much sold out everywhere. i notice that they are going for considerably more than your post indicates on EBAY.

Are they that good ?

Back
Top Bottom