Join Early Retirement Today

70 Plus
Old 08-02-2019, 03:21 PM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

70 Plus

Looking at a recent thread where most of us told our age, it looks as if the great majority of members are under the age of 70.

I think it might be an interesting experiment for those who are older, to share some of the things that have changed their perception from what they expected years earlier. Generalities... no specific age, and definitely no hard and fast positions. In other words, it's not a "drink/no-drink"... a "travel/no travel" ... "Eating out/eat at home" "shopping/no shopping" , "become solitary/social animal", "either/or" type of thing, but rather ways that life in general has changed.

Things like... "how time spent in investments and accounting" has changed.

No wrongs or rights... more like, "I thought I'd spend more time traveling" or,"I'm buying more ready made meals, than spending time like I used to... making meals from scratch."

Go anywhere that suits you... the more the merrier. I'll start our with some of the changes that have happened in our lives in the past 10+ years.

Driving. We were travelers... local travelers... within a four state range. Big change. From perhaps age 72, when our auto travel averaged 15,000 to 20,000m mi./yr years, we're now at less than 1500.

Fixing up, enhancing our home... (a hardware store of tools) now down to letting it go if it's still safe. When we move to the estates in our CCRC, we'll spend $15,000 to to a full makeover. The few cracks, recarpeting and paint jobs can wait.

Entertaining at home. The biggest thing. From being a social center as late as 2010, we no longer entertain, except for our kids. Part of this difference is due to the availability of social rooms and functions in the buildings of our
retirement campus.

Meals and mealtimes... mostly recently since turning 80... no schedules. More than half the time, jeanie and I don't eat meals together. We've become more attuned to what we like best. Part of this, for me, is the loss of taste and smell, that used to be paramount in making meals. Now, not so important.... willing to make a meal out of oyster or shrimp, or ramen soup.

Sunshine... yeah... from a time when both of us lived 80% of our waking hours outside. Now just a stray half our on the deck, listening to radio.

Hobbies... except for electronics, almost all of a hundred different hobbies are now just a peasant memory. While I love listening to Classical and Country Western music, I no longer play the instruments that were always a joy. Guitar, Uke and "fingered" instruments are no longer possible because of hand polyneuropathy. That one is really sad.

Shopping...for jeanie, two days out by herself each week. For me... quarterly, mostly to pick up 100 pounds of bird seed.

Our neighbors have housekeepers come in once a week... The big change for us, was last year, when we had our carpets cleaned by a local firm. First time since we were married.

Volunteering is on a day to day basis, where interest is strong... not because of social responsibility.

The biggest change, especially in the past three or four years, is peace of mind. Heck, no... not rich, but that little back of the mind guy that used to say..."Can you afford it?"... has gone on a long vacation.

Oops... an even bigger change... is a daily thankfulness for making it this far... relatively good health... and my jeanie, who I love more and more every day.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2019, 03:27 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This is a great idea for a thread! I look forward to hearing from more of you over 70 - if you can stand to look back! One thing I heard, but disbelieved, is that the older you get, the less you look back. But it might be true. I find myself totally disinclined to dwell upon past decisions. I feel as though I've moved to a new country and there's no use in looking back.

(Speaking of personal look-backs only. I am really into encouraging all of us to put down in writing our impressions of change in our lifetimes, for historians of the future!)
Old 08-02-2019, 04:12 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I won't think too hard, it might hurt.

68, retired at 62, DW 63 retired at 59.

Early concern about finances faded away after about 2 years. Sequence of return risk seems to be behind us.

For first 4 years or so I had frequent dreams about work. A very rare occurrence now. I find my memory of my industry jargon has faded. Since I don't use it, I've lost most of what I knew and I don't want it back.

Health- I let myself go pretty much when I retired. Weight has always been an issue for me since I married. At least that's my story and I'm sticking with it. Flipped the switch this past February and lost 46 pounds (fasting and clean eating). Dropped 4 blood pressure meds and reversed type 2 diabetes (DDPYoga). My DW has always been into fitness...she's in top shape.

Budget and spending has loosened up. When we buy most things we pay for quality. Value is weighed and we spend what we need to. We are not very frugal at this point in our lives. I'm sure that will change down the line.

Household stuff is all farmed out to the various pros... yard work, repairs and maintenance all paid for. I'm just an observer. DW has a housekeeper a couple of times a month for thorough cleaning.

More trips than ever. This year Playa Del Carmen, American Queen Paddleboat tour of Snake/Colombia rivers, upcoming Blues Bender in Vegas (60 blues bands performing in 4 days at Hard Rock Hotel)

Concerts we never had time for are tops on the list. I counted 42 big name shows in 3 1/2 years. Most are pricy tickets in a smaller venues. Moody Theatre/Austin City Limits is our go-to venue.

Hobbies- guns, guitars and golf. Never had time for those prior to retirement.

More friends than ever. We never had kids and I've always observed that a lot of friendships develop around kids and their activities. Living in an active adult community has come with an opportunity to know and befriend many wonderful people. We take advantage of that opportunity.

Thanks imoldernu for kick starting this thread. Very worthwhile reflections.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote