Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-15-2007, 10:39 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerEd View Post
Unfortunately, I view most people that display the flag with as much skepticism with those that feel a need to preach their religion.

If waving/displaying a flag makes you a patriot, and going to church(or quoting the bible) makes you a good Christian, then standing in a driveway makes you a car.

I wonder how many of those "patriots" even bother to vote in elections.

i proudly wear my "i voted" sticker, which usually has some flaginess to it...but no flag waving going on here.

Too often i have been confronted with zealots who wave the flag in my face because they think it is "their" country and not others...(usually people who don't look like them, an anti-immigrant rally, etc.) so unfortunately, i have some negative associations with the flag.

my country of origin is also fiercely nationalistic because it has been attacked many times in history so i get it - the desire to show pride and stand for your country.

but also have seen where it goes overboard ie germany or japan to name a few.

anyhow, funny thing is things always seem to come full circle when you have kids and as my daughter learns the pledge of allegiance, or asks about why people fly the flag (or when can we get one), my answers are often more simple, "because people are proud of their country"...as long as nobody is waving in her face to tell her to "get out of here" i'm good w/ that explanation...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2007, 03:28 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Sorry you feel that way........ You think the response by the govt to 9/11 was fake? I agree that a LOT of bad decisions have been made, but you are saying we did a lot of bad things RIGHT after 9/11? I don't understand that......:confused:
I think that the actions of this president in attacking Iraq, along with the ill-advised consent of authority given to him by congress, were inappropriate, done in frustration, and have continued to deteriorate because of our "leader's" stubborn ignorance of history.

Yes, there are people who wish to do us harm for a variety of reasons that no one in this administration wishes to acknowledge. You can not fix what you do not understand. This cowboy in the White House continues to be all hat and no cattle.
Elderdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 03:54 PM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We fly a flag. Pretty much all the time. Believe it or not, it is not my idea. I am as patriotic as anybody. Probably more than most... I served our military (as a volunteer). Still we fly a flag and yet it is not me that purchases them (although, DW insists that I install them).

You see DW's parents were immigrants. Her father basically left Germany just ahead of WW2 with his parents. They had to live under Hitler for a while. Her grandfather installed a flag poll out in the front yard and flew the flag almost all the time. His son, (DW's father) joined the service during WW2 and reentered service during the Korean conflict. They were absolutely grateful and proud to be Americans.

Her grandfather's outward sign of gratitude for the country that provided shelter from tyranny has rubbed off on her. I gotta tell ya... I kinda like it.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote