Join Early Retirement Today

9/11/07
Old 09-08-2007, 11:10 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
9/11/07

Remember those who have died.

On Tuesday, September 11th, 2007, an American flag should be displayed outside every home, apartment, office, and store in the United States. Every individual should m ake it their duty to display an American flag on this anniversary of our country's worst tragedy. We do this in honor of those who lost their lives on 9/11, their families, friends and loved ones who continue to endure the pain, and those who today are fighting at home and abroad to preserve our cherished freedoms.

In the days, weeks and months following 9/11, our country was bathed in American flags as citizens mourned the incredible losses and stood shoulder-to-shoulder against terrorism. Sadly, those flags have all but disappeared. Our patriotism pulled us through some tough times and it shouldn't take another attack to galvanize us in solidarity. Our American flag is the fabric of our country and together we can prevail over terrorism of all kinds.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2007, 11:19 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I have had a small American flag displayed by the nameplate at the entry of my office every day since September, 2001. In fact, somehow I came upon another one last year so now I display two!

This despite the fact that the American flags displayed by so many in 2001 reminded me of hanging garlic to ward away vampires. It's not like they will keep terrorists away! I still like displaying mine, though.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 01:07 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

After I wrote this, Frank took me out to lunch. When I stepped out of my house, I saw that my house had an American flag flying out front!! A local political candidate placed these flags (about 18" wide, mounted on sticks) in every front yard in the neighborhood as a tribute to those who died on 9/11.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 06:12 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Remember those who have died.
Sadly, those flags have all but disappeared.
Ours is still flying. Of course we're on our sixth or seventh one, but cost is not the issue.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 09:31 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Ours is still flying. Of course we're on our sixth or seventh one, but cost is not the issue.
I was about to ask - why do we need a 'special day' like Sept. 11th to fly flags? Why can't it be every day?

Then again, the whole idea of 'special days' really befuddles me. Birthdays, holidays, anniversaries... all of those things represent things that we can celebrate every day -- our love, our life, our thanks, etc.

Needless to say, my wife fully supports my goal to FIRE by sharing my view in celebrating life rather than arbitrarily decided events.
Peaceful_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 09:46 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Our neighborhood sure helps keep the flag companies in business. Our flags are flying every day, and have been for years....even before 9/11/01!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 11:16 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Need to buy a new one, mine got shredded by the elements.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 06:26 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I hope this doesn't come across the wrong way, but I am curious why individuals display flags so much in the US. Every time I visit there they seem to be more and more plentiful. Here in Japan you almost never see a flag except on a government building, and individuals almost never display them unless they are at an international sports contest (or are right-wing wack-jobs). I realize that the US has not had the same bitter experience of the downside of nationalism that Japan had, but still, it looks peculiar looking in from the outside. I don't think I remember seeing so many of them when I was growing up, though maybe I was just inured to the sight.

Here's a theory -- since Americans lack a cohesive ethnic identity, they cling to nationalism to satisfy the tribalistic urge. To test this theory, one could look at other immigration-heavy countries, and see if the same phenomenon prevails. Anybody who can report on the situation in Canada, Australia, Argentina, Brazil, etc.?
bpp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 06:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpp3 View Post
I hope this doesn't come across the wrong way, but I am curious why individuals display flags so much in the US. Every time I visit there they seem to be more and more plentiful. Here in Japan you almost never see a flag except on a government building, and individuals almost never display them unless they are at an international sports contest (or are right-wing wack-jobs). I realize that the US has not had the same bitter experience of the downside of nationalism that Japan had, but still, it looks peculiar looking in from the outside. I don't think I remember seeing so many of them when I was growing up, though maybe I was just inured to the sight.

Here's a theory -- since Americans lack a cohesive ethnic identity, they cling to nationalism to satisfy the tribalistic urge. To test this theory, one could look at other immigration-heavy countries, and see if the same phenomenon prevails. Anybody who can report on the situation in Canada, Australia, Argentina, Brazil, etc.?
We believe strongly in our country. The same can not necessarily be said of all of our politicians.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:48 PM   #10

Quote:

Hmmm sounds a little too complex and somewhat insulting.

Try this, Americans know that we live in a great country and we're proud of it.

We fly our flag proudly in front of our house every day.
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 07:02 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9 View Post
Hmmm sounds a little too complex and somewhat insulting.

Try this, Americans know that we live in a great country and we're proud of it.
Sorry, did not mean to be insulting. Note that I am a US citizen myself, think it is a great country, etc. It just would never occur to me to fly a flag as a private citizen, unless I wanted to proclaim that I was operating a post office or something. But when I visit now, I feel like everyone else has joined some kind of club and I missed the initiation ceremony (and perhaps that was 9/11).
Old 09-09-2007, 10:35 PM   #12

Quote:
........ it looks peculiar looking in from the outside. I don't think I remember seeing so many of them when I was growing up, though maybe I was just inured to the sight.
In the neighborhood that I grew up in, and still live in, I think it would be pretty peculiar, if not down right ODD, if I went outside and didn't see the Stars & Stripes blowing in the breeze!!! It may be just a "small town" thing, but more likely it's because most of the families that were here when I was growing up, were families of WWII Vets and parents of WWII Vets. Most started flying our colors during the war, and just never quit afterward. I know for a fact that is how and why my folks, and my grandparents, and many of our neighbors kept the tradition alive.

We fly our flag to honor all of the veterans, living and deceased, that have fought to keep and to protect the freedom that we, as Americans, cherish and enjoy!!!

I don't like most of our politicians, but I most certainly LOVE our magnificent country!!! And I'll definitely keep Old Glory flying here at my homestead until they plant my @$$ 6 feet under!!! To do otherwise would be.....peculiar!
Attached Images
File Type: gif Veterans Salute -- All Gave Some - Some Gave All.gif (30.4 KB, 7 views)
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 10:42 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Here in Japan you almost never see a flag except on a government building, and individuals almost never display them unless they are at an international sports contest (or are right-wing wack-jobs).
Hmmm, the JMSDF ships & subs inport Pearl Harbor seem to fly plenty of their national flags... they probably figure it's fair payback for agreeing to let us forward-base a nuclear carrier in Yokosuka.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 04:31 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Hmmm, the JMSDF ships & subs inport Pearl Harbor seem to fly plenty of their national flags...
You got me there. I'm going to guess that they are there in an official capacity, unless they are just ferrying tourists to see the Honolulu Marathon. (In which case they could be covered under the "international sports contest" category. ) Probably not wing-nuts, unless they are loaded with sound trucks...
Old 09-10-2007, 06:18 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I suppose I must be lacking in some way, but I don't get the Merkin flag obsession either. I'll treat the flag with respect, but see no particular virtue in having slathered all over, well, everything. Aside from signalling to everyone else that you wish to be thought of as a rabid jingoist (like them), I don't get it.

But that's just me.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 08:43 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Interesting. I do display our flag on occasion, and find that i have the same sort of difficulty disposing of a flag as i do disposing of a bible or things that belonged to my deceased Mother. Several years ago it was suggested by some that travelers claim to be from Canada rather than the US - even to the extent of sewing the maple leaf on their packs. I think Canada is a fine country but thought that was a terrible idea - Americans abroad should be ambassadors for their country. When we were outside the country we didn't sew any flags on our gear - OTOH, there was little doubt we were Americans - actually do remember several asking if we were Canadians, and was pleased to correct them.
I'm not much of a joiner or club member though - absolutly hate clothing that has the makers name splashed across the front - be it nike or old navy or whatever. Don't feel like being a walking billboard for them. Don't fly yellow ribbons or run "Remember the Maine!" bumper stickers either. My taste runs more toward having the US being quieter and more effective - a bit more in the speak softly camp. This could disolve into a question of what patriotism is - or even whether patriotism is the highest good - but i think we are all folk of good will, and that might be the most important thing of all.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 08:58 AM   #17

I've been displaying the American flag at my home for as long as I can remember, my grandparents did it and when I purchased the house from them I kept up the tradition. I'll keep it displayed as long as I'm there and hope someone after me does the same.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 08:59 AM   #18
gone traveling

The flag, ... what about getting bin laden and bringing him to justice?
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 09:01 AM   #19

Quote:
Anybody who can report on the situation in Canada, Australia, Argentina, Brazil, etc.?

I'm in Canada. While I'm rather indifferent to flags, DW insists on flying the Maple Leaf (Canada) and St. Andrew's Cross (Scotland). To each his own.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:02 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outtahere View Post
I've been displaying the American flag at my home for as long as I can remember, my grandparents did it and when I purchased the house from them I kept up the tradition. I'll keep it displayed as long as I'm there and hope someone after me does the same.
Don't mean to cause insult, but I am genuinely curious: why?

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote