90 million Obama Clinton last month who is giving?

dumpster56

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Seriously folks who is sending these two money?? the middle class?? Heck 3+ a gallon gasoline, food prices upup and away, housing in the toilet. Who is sending these two clowns cash:confused:?O0

Obviously someone who isn't quite as pissed off as you always are ;)

I don't know anybody who has sent money to Clinton, Obama, or McCain, for that matter.

I would guess that most presidential hopefuls get money from lobbyists, special interest groups, people hoping for political favors/positions, their political party, and so on.

As for grass roots support, who has any extra money to send off, with gas prices spiralling upwards, food prices not far behind, and rampant foreclosures? And in our cases, an economy/market that is not doing so well and chipping away at our ER money.

Warren Buffet has extra money. He likes both democrats. I wouldn't call WB a clown either .

... and I thought there were limits put on how much a single person can give ....

According to Baraks Website:
"...more than 90% of donations were $100 or less." So not many big donors gave into that 55 Million last month.

I don't know if this factoid tells us anything. It doesn't say that 90% of the money came from donations of $100 or less. It's probably true in almost every campaign that the vast majority of "contribution events" are small $$. So, there could still be a few huge donors who are contributing the majority of funds. As we've seen, there are many ways to work around the individual donor limits.

Last edited:
Not me. I rarely donate.

The internet has changed the way funding works. The masses can make a difference with a few bucks.

Obama has done a remarkable job in getting serial smallish $50 donations from millions(?). The couple that give Barack $80 instead of going out to dinner, I think is probably pretty typical.

My sister who voted for Bush in 2000, has given several times to Obama's campaign.

The $2300 hard money limit isn't easy to get around.

I give money to McCain in the summer (before the the campaign tanked) and again in Dec. when he was still in trouble.

A single person can give 2300 for the primary fund and the same for the general election fund. That person could also send equal amounts in the name of spouse and children. There are rules about kids donations: must be the kid's money(or trust fund), must not be reimbursed by the parent, and must be made knowingly and voluntarily... In other words, yeah, sure, who's gonna check?

So, hypothetically, a wealthy supporter could give 4600 themselves, 4600 for their spouse, and 4600 x their 3 kids = total of $23,000. Then they could also give $65,000 per family member to PACs and state and national party committees, and the PACs are the ones running most of the TV ads anyway.

So if someone quite wealthy was determined to max out, they could give $350,000 through their hypothetical family for every 2 year election cycle.

"...more than 90% of donations were $100 or less." So not many big donors gave into that 55 Million last month.

yeah, 99 $100 or less and one big whopper donation.

I've given to local candidates ... but not the national level. Reason that the locals might actually help ME.

A single person can give 2300 for the primary fund and the same for the general election fund. That person could also send equal amounts in the name of spouse and children. There are rules about kids donations: must be the kid's money(or trust fund), must not be reimbursed by the parent, and must be made knowingly and voluntarily... In other words, yeah, sure, who's gonna check?

So, hypothetically, a wealthy supporter could give 4600 themselves, 4600 for their spouse, and 4600 x their 3 kids = total of $23,000. Then they could also give $65,000 per family member to PACs and state and national party committees, and the PACs are the ones running most of the TV ads anyway.

So if someone quite wealthy was determined to max out, they could give $350,000 through their hypothetical family for every 2 year election cycle.

Scanning various donation websites I see very few kid donations. So I think the practice is fairly rare. PACs are still a major source of money, but thanks to McCain-Feingold the value of PAC money to a campaign is much lower than hard money.

In particular it can't be use to fund the I am joe candidate and I approve of this message ads.

PACs are still a major source of money, but thanks to McCain-Feingold the value of PAC money to a campaign is much lower than hard money.

In particular it can't be use to fund the I am joe candidate and I approve of this message ads.

I have to disagree here. I think it's clear that the most influential TV ads in the last two major elections have been the negative and scaremongering ads, and those are the ones most often paid for by PACs and do not include the candidate's endorsement. They often include questionable "facts" and the candidate does not want to be seen as playing dirty, so will not sign off on it officially, but will not disavow the groups responsible because they are really helping the cause.

Seriously folks who is sending these two money?? the middle class?? Heck 3+ a gallon gasoline, food prices upup and away, housing in the toilet. Who is sending these two clowns cash:confused:?O0

This comment does seem rather angry for a guy newly retired to the genteel environs of Cahahlina! You OK newguy?

I gave $25 to RP in Dec and still feel like I got my money's worth (it was my first political donation ever -what can I say, I'm cheap!)

Are the dollars reported actual cash received or just pledged?

I don't know anybody who has sent money to Clinton, Obama, or McCain, for that matter.

I would guess that most presidential hopefuls get money from lobbyists, special interest groups, people hoping for political favors/positions, their political party, and so on.

As for grass roots support, who has any extra money to send off, with gas prices spiralling upwards, food prices not far behind, and rampant foreclosures? And in our cases, an economy/market that is not doing so well and chipping away at our ER money.

I have sent $300 so far to Obama. I know many other people who have sent small amounts to him. In fact, he has over a million individual donors right now. It really is a grass roots phenomenon.

On the other hand, I hear that Clinton has a much smaller donor bases and that a much higher percentage of them have given the maximum $2300.

Don't know about McCain.

Back
Top Bottom