92 Year Old Woman Killed in the War on Some Drugs

... and, enough money to buy some governments ... federal, state, local ...

youbet said:
But how do you declare the war on drugs over? Suddenly my young grandchildren can stop by the corner store and pick up some cocaine? I need a prescription to get my generic beta blocker but the kiddies have their meth delivered right at the playlot?

youbet said:
How do you manifest this end to the war on drugs? Complete open market with any drug available to anyone regardless of age? Regulations? What would be the basics of the regs?

youbet said:
I did not bring "kiddies" into the argument. The poster I was responding to mentioned children having access to drugs.

maybe a previous poster brought it up, but it certainly appears that you brought "kiddies" into the argument. Not that I think "kiddies" don't matter, just that bringing them front and center obscures the issue.

My point is simply that if it can be worked out with alcohol, tobacco, prescription drugs, guns, power tools, electricity, automobiles.....then maybe it's not a valid argument for keeping drugs illegal and that a more productive discussion could occur without this hot button.

that's not to say I don't believe that there will still be problems with drugs relating to their abuse by kids--just like there are with kids and the entire list above.

bosco said:
maybe a previous poster brought it up, but it certainly appears that you brought "kiddies" into the argument.

Nope, you're wrong on that. The previous poster mentioned the current availability of illegal drugs to children and I picked up on that since I think legalizing hard drugs will create new problems in regard to minors. These problems/abuses have the potential to be more severe than with alcohol or tobacco.

lets-retire said:
One of the agencies in the area I worked required narcotics officers to advise the Chief 24 hours advance of any drug raid. It was amazing once this guy became Chief the number of drug arrests declined immensely. Eventually the other local agencies and the Sheriff's Office got tired of the drug dealers listing their addresses in the city, so enforcement was stepped up.

We had a dope house 2 doors down from us for several years. They had more traffic there 24hrs/day than a McDonald's drive-up at lunch time. But, about an hour or so before a raid by the local cops, traffic dried up...completely!!! The cops would knock on the door with warrant in hand, go in, search, and find NOTHING!!! This happened for several years.

We, the neighbors got fed up, and contacted the State Police. They were given a compiled list of license plate #s, time of day, pictures....etc. They said to contact local police. We told them the stories of local cops past "efforts". A few days later, the State boys got a "No Knock" warrant, kicked down the doors, found a load of dope, and hauled them all off to the pokey!!! At trial convictions were handed down, and several of them went for a trip to the pen. One of the dope suppliers beat the rap, and moved to a different town. He was busted there in less than month by their local force, and is now serving 15 years!!!

The 'dirty cops' (starting at the very top) are no longer with our local dept. and dope dealers in town are getting busted on a regular basis now. We now have a consciencious police force, that upholds the law, and doesn't protect the criminals. And our neighborhood is safe and dope-dealer free, again.

The war may rage on, but battles ARE being won!!! :police:

Goonie ... congrat's, but ... the reason they were doing business out of the house down the street is because it is the war on some drugs. You don't have any problems with moonshiners down the street, do you ...

samclem said:
- And, just a point: is there any "reverse-profiling" going on in our assumptions? If, instead of a 90+ YO woman we were talking about a 22 YO male, there would be a lot more folks assuming he was in on whatever bad stuff was happening in the house...........

Here in our county we've had several "senior citizens" convicted on drug manufacturing, and dealing!!! When I say "senior", I'm talking 60's, 70's AND 80's! Obviously, that's NOT the norm, however it DOES happen. (supplimental retirement income?? :D ) One guy employed his entire family in his "business". (not sure if they got adjoining rooms at the state pen).

Goonie said:
Here in our county we've had several "senior citizens" convicted on drug manufacturing, and dealing!!! When I say "senior", I'm talking 60's, 70's AND 80's! Obviously, that's NOT the norm, however it DOES happen. (supplimental retirement income?? :D ) One guy employed his entire family in his "business". (not sure if they got adjoining rooms at the state pen).

http://opioids.com/legal/elderly.html

"When a person is on Social Security, drawing $500 a month, and they can sell their pain pills for $10 apiece, they'll take half of them for themselves and sell the other half to pay their electric bills or buy groceries," Kentucky jailer Roger Webb recently told reporters.

And, some suspect that the problems in Kentucky may be mirrored elsewhere in the country. Why is this happening? Seniors, they say, need ways to raise money for living expenses that they otherwise can't afford. Monthly checks from the government just won't cut it.

In Bellaire, Ohio, for example, one 65-year-old man was arrested in November after authorities said he sold undercover officers $350 worth of Percocet pills. The man, who is currently in jail pending a court hearing, said he was just looking for a way to pay for his wife's medical bills. His wife has multiple sclerosis.

But, despite their age and struggles, seniors convicted of drug trafficking could face years in prison.

So, keeping drugs illegal helps the elderly! And to think everyone was saying President Bush isn't truly compassionate.

Again, free markets prove their worth. ;)

Back
Top Bottom