98.6 and the thermostat

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
Average body temperature is 98.6F...
What is the average temperature in your home? Summer? Winter?

Why? :cool:

edit...
must be a bacon thread.
time for a break... :(

Last edited:
Our average home temperature year round is 'comfortable' - 68 to 70 in the winter and around 76 in the summer.

Why? Why not. :)

Last edited:
Average body temperature is 98.6F

This is a myth. When the average body temperature was first determined, it was (and still is) considered to be "about 37°C" which essentially means somewhere between 36 and 38. Translating 37 Celsius to Fahrenheit gives 98.6 which almost everyone in the USA considers sacrosanct but is nothing of the kind. Such precision is nonsensical. There is a lot of variation between people as to what their typical body temperature is, and of course it varies by where you measure it as well.

This is a myth. When the average body temperature was first determined, it was (and still is) considered to be "about 37°C" which essentially means somewhere between 36 and 38. Translating 37 Celsius to Fahrenheit gives 98.6 which almost everyone in the USA considers sacrosanct but is nothing of the kind. Such precision is nonsensical. There is a lot of variation between people as to what their typical body temperature is, and of course it varies by where you measure it as well.
You forgot to end your post with a suitable closing:

Get off my lawn - YouTube

Average body temperature is 98.6F...
What is the average temperature in your home? Summer? Winter?

Why? :cool:

in Atlanta,GA

Winter 66 during day
62 at night
Sleep great when it is cold

Summer 81 during day
78 at night
could be a little cooler during day but we got use to it
hard to sleep at night if it is to hot

Year round.
Day: 78
Night: 75

Why?
Because it works for us.

You're right; sorry.

This is something that has annoyed me for many years and I sometimes let it get to me. :flowers:

Take your temperature when you let it get to you and see what it is. Maybe you can save on heating your house. :LOL:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 158
NW PA
winter: 68 days if someone home, otherwise 60. nights at 66
summer: 76 if A/C turned on. Summers can be 85 one day, 65 next. Some years the AC is on and house closed up over 50% of time. Other years we may have used it a whole 2 weeks all summer

OK, I found that interesting. When people hear 98.6, they assume that decimal point represents precision, but you are right, that is just the conversion from 37C.

But would 'Hey 37C' work in a song?

-ERD50

Is it the same temperature if you take it orally or....... uh....the other way? :confused:

San Diego
Winter: 70 during the day if someone is home. 60 at night.

Summer: Heater is turned off. (We turned it off for the "summer" a few weeks ago).

We don't have AC and get by on the rare super-hot days with an attic fan and carefully calibrated windows being opened/closed to draw breeze from the cooler side of the house. At night we open all the upstairs windows and crank that attic fan - can usually get the house back to a cool 65 or 70 by morning - even during the hottest spells.

It helps that we're coastal enough we get significant marine layer except during Santa Ana's.

Seattle

Summer turned off/not needed

Fall/Winter/Spring 70 day 60 night

Reason? To be warm.

Actually there is a nice circadian rhythm to body temperature. You begin to cool off in the late afternoon, reach bottom around midnight, and begin to warm up again at 4 a.m. or so. Blood pressure follows a circadian rhythm too with peak BP at about 7 a.m.

There is a lot of individual variation in baseline body temperature.

Our dogs like the doors left open so that is what we do for most of the year during the day. Evening setting during the heating season is 68, daytime is 64, and nighttime is 55. We don't have AC. I'm cheap and I knit.

Winter(October thru at least April):67-69 when home. 60 if gone a full day. 45 if gone for weeks or months.
Summer:No AC so it gets up over 80 by July. I get by with a box fan. I can tolerate heat better than cold so it's not too bad.

Winter; 70F during the day and 65F at night. This is up from our prior targets of 68F and 62F, respectively that garnered some complaints.

Summer; no A/C so we open or close doors and windows depending on the outside temperature. It is generally pretty comfortable unless we have a "heat wave" for which we have a few cooling fans that help.

We hardly ever run our central air--will turn it on, to 78 degrees, if the house goes over 80 degrees and the forecast is for mid 80s or higher. We never run it at night; using a window and ceiling fan in the bedroom keeps it cool.

This winter we kept our house at 70 or so until we went to bed, a good 5 degrees higher than the last several years, but took it down to 66 at night. The weather was just so depressing that it meant a lot to be in a cozy house and not to be wearing three layers inside. And mild hypothermia is just no fun.

One of the few things we don't scrimp on is heat in the winter. 78°F pretty much year round.

Last edited:
Winter: 60F day, 50F night
Summer: Window A/C at 80F if it starts bothering me, night: window fan in bedroom

In winter, I can add more layers or blankets, and prefer it cool at night.

In summer, the overnight lows are often high 80s, or worse, so a bit before bedtime the a/c kicks on. Even though the outside air temp is that high, without the sun beating down, the house cools from 77 to 72 relatively quickly, and when the thermostat resets to daytime temp again, it's usually midday or so before the a/c has to start working again.

I cannot sleep when it's too hot and humid, hate fans blowing on me, an can only get so naked...

Back
Top Bottom