Join Early Retirement Today

A crazy two fox day...
Old 01-15-2019, 07:16 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A crazy two fox day...

My goals for today were simple
1. Submit my forms to rollover my work IRS accounts.
2. Make a retiree healthcare election (online)

I logged on and knocked off the HC election. Once the rollover form was complete I thought I’d take it to the post office and mail it certified return receipt requested. I don’t trust megacorp they are known to drop the ball. I walked out the door and as I rounded the corner I saw a fox in the neighbors back yard. I thought to myself “Mid day that’s unusual”. I drove to the post office and on the way back, a mile away from the house, a fox ran across the road in front of me. 2 foxes in one day!

Fast forward 6 PM, DD had just rolled in an few minutes later the dog is close too and facing the front door ...woof... then another single woof. Creepy to say the least.

If you happened to be a Stephen King fan your mind might run wild... All I can think of is it has been cold and snowy.. maybe foods been especially scarce.

I think ill take the dog out and take on the Yeti.
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2019, 07:25 PM   #2

I love foxes. I think they are beautiful. We have lived in our home for 23 years and saw a fox in our yard for the first time this past summer. Actually saw it 3 times over about as many months I hope it hangs around.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 08:06 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Foxes are great. We had a resident fox that let her babies play in our backyard from time to time. That was a real treat. She would bark at us from the fence to take the dog inside when she wanted to bring the kids out to play.

We would see her most often at dusk but some days she would nap on a pergola in the backyard all morning.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 08:25 PM   #4

We've seen foxes both at our house in western Maryland (though not in the last few years) and multiple times at our summer house in PA in the mountains about an hour north of Allentown. Never had a two-fox day though.

Good for you Ray!

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
USGrant1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 04:27 AM   #5

Sounds great! I've had one 8 skunk family event last summer off the porch and last week had a raccoon walking in a circle for 90 minutes in the driveway at noon, but never a two fox day. The raccoon succumbed to the local police department.

About 10 years ago, I was watching a squirrel run up and down an elm tree in the back of one my rentals. All of a sudden, a huge owl, flaps down, landed in the branch 12 inches from the squirrel who was running down the trunk at that time. The squirrel never flinched for over an hour, and luckily for the squirrel, the owl, rotated 180 degrees away from the trunk after 15 minutes and never saw the squirrel. Ever. I did not get anything done that morning, watching for an eventual feast. Never happened as the owl left after an 70 minutes.
Winemaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 05:02 AM   #6

I love foxes too. A few years ago in our last place (in the suburbs) we had a fox make a den under the garden shed and raise her two kits so we saw them all summer. One day they were out in the yard and I suddenly saw our cat looking at them. I was very nervous for a couple of minutes until the cat started playing with the kits. The three of them had a fine time for about five minutes, with Mama Fox watching over them on one side and me doing the same on the other side. It was a priceless moment. After a while they got bored and everyone wandered off.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:48 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a few in my hood here in KC. Had mom and 2 kits run around most of one summer. The 2 kits were having a hoot one day, one would run up on my deck while the other went under the deck and would pounce on him when he came out from below. Eventually mom left and the other kit did as well. Still see one of them from time to time and have caught them on my security camera's as well. The one used to sleep on my rock wall just outside my front window. They are so fun to watch. Foxes do really well in urban areas, lots of hiding places and lots of food. They really keep the rabbit population down.
nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 07:16 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Golfers at one of our local courses were attacked by rabid foxes last summer on two different occasions. And a resident in a nearby neighborhood was bitten by a rabid fox last year. It made me think I might want to take a walking stick with me on my daily walks.
Carpediem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 08:50 AM   #9

We have Timberwolves that cross our yard frequently, no dogs allowed outside without a leash.

I'd much rather see the fox, beautiful animals.
Stormy Kromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 08:52 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Lots of animals cross our backyard going from one conservation to another, but haven't seen a fox yet.
Could be exciting and also a bit scary.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:11 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

A two fox day is rare, they tend to hide out. I knew of their dens on our farm, but we rarely ever saw them.

A Three Dog Night on the other hand is not so uncommon. They are still touring. They also appear to be mainly nocturnal animals.

https://www.threedognight.com/tour/

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:58 AM   #12

Our neighborhood is home to a few fox families. They are stunningly beautiful and healthy which makes me think they are well fed. We live in the outskirts of farmland and corn/bean fields. Let them run free and flourish!

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 02:05 PM   #13

In our driveway a few years ago:
DSC_0886.jpg

I was surprised to read that the lifespan of a fox in the wild is only about three years or so on average.