Join Early Retirement Today

A Different Kind of "Drug" Problem
Old 02-11-2008, 12:57 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
A Different Kind of "Drug" Problem

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2008, 08:21 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via Skype™ to imnxpat
By this logic, the harsher the punishment, the better. Therefore, there's no such thing as child abuse.
imnxpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 08:53 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I wonder how old that "concerned citizen" might be. If I recall there was plenty of drugs floating around from the sixties onward (before that people were boozing but we all know that alcohol ain't no drug ). So the "concerned citizen" could have a case of feel good amnesia (ah the good old days where everything was so perfect!). No really, "farmhouses" went from making moonshine to making meth. Different drug, same purpose!
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 09:01 PM   #4
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
And there are no cases where someone who was 'drug' to church ever did anything 'wrong' thereafter.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:06 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
I wonder how old that "concerned citizen" might be. If I recall there was plenty of drugs floating around from the sixties onward ...
If you mean the 1860s, you could make the case that the Civil War created America's first generation of morphine & heroin addicts.

I think these are like Al's "Chicken Soup for the Curmudgeon's Soul" complaint-- heartwarming stories that are long on sentiment and short on substance.

I was raised in a corporal-punishment environment (home & school) and all it's achieved is to (1) give me a mean right cross, and (2) make me vow to not raise my kid that way.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 11:06 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
If you mean the 1860s, you could make the case that the Civil War created America's first generation of morphine & heroin addicts.
You are right. After all in the late 19th century, cocaine could be purchased in drugstores and it was legally manufactured and sold in the US. A number of widely available products also contained cocaine, including some tonic wines, cigarettes and of course Coca Cola. At the turn of the century heroin was used in children cough medecine. Opium and its derivatives have been used as a recreational drug since the 15th century, though people started using "the joy plant" thousands of years before. Ah the good old days!
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 05:34 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

just in observing children spinning to make themselves dizzy, or their attraction to amusement rides which produce similar effect, i wonder if there is a natural inclination towards altering consciousness.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 05:50 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I remember those days. It was during that time when I walked five miles to school every day in a blinding snow storm uphill both directions. I miss all that.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 09:16 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Parents exerted discipline as did teachers and coaches. I still remember my first year of coaching little league baseball and asking when would we make the first cuts.(like it was when I came through) My reaction to the response that all who signed up got to play, was WHAT? Hence the pay, play and get a trophy generation began. If a kid never came to practice and I told him he would have to sit out a game, a quick visit by mom to the league director put me in my place... not to say a kid was sick, but as one mom told me, he wanted to go to the movies.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:37 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnxpat View Post
By this logic, the harsher the punishment, the better. Therefore, there's no such thing as child abuse.
You might want to read the attached.
I didn't bother trying to count how many you used.
A List Of Fallacious Arguments
Old 02-12-2008, 09:39 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post

I think these are like Al's "Chicken Soup for the Curmudgeon's Soul" complaint-- heartwarming stories that are long on sentiment and short on substance.
Very well put
Old 02-12-2008, 09:45 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
just in observing children spinning to make themselves dizzy, or their attraction to amusement rides which produce similar effect, i wonder if there is a natural inclination towards altering consciousness.
I'm not sure if it is altering consciousness. Don't many of the popular drugs - cocain; meth; ("the love drug" I forgot the name) mimic the natural chemicals found in the brain?
Old 02-12-2008, 09:46 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
I remember those days. It was during that time when I walked five miles to school every day in a blinding snow storm uphill both directions. I miss all that.
I had to to the same thing but without shoes. I wasn't allowed to get them wet or allow them to lose their shine or else the nuns would beat me. The good old days.....
Old 02-13-2008, 08:29 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via Skype™ to imnxpat
Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
You might want to read the attached.
I didn't bother trying to count how many you used.
A List Of Fallacious Arguments
In my post, I was being sarcastic. But your reply is so vague I can't tell whether you support or oppose child abuse.
imnxpat is offline   Reply With Quote