A few things I learned at ER.org

Yeah, I am a fan boy too. Best forum I have ever heard about.
The public library. It seems so silly that I never thought of getting books from the library, but I didn't. When I started here I was spending thousands of dollars a year for books. I didn't realize libraries now let you check catalogs online and reserve books and just pick them up. Nords, you saved me a lot of money.
I used to spend a bundle on books before ER. I can't remember precisely when I learned the DC library has online ordering but I think I too may have check after reading one of Nords' posts. Thank you, thank you, thank you Nords :angel:-- I have saved thousands.

I could fill volumes too, but what probably drew me in the most:
  • Other LBYMers, we're not a majority in mainstream society. It's a relief to get away from all the folks engaged in a (hopeless) search for happiness in that never-ending next material possession.
  • Other Boglehead/Bernstein type investors, I am resolutely the latter. I did go the full-service broker/active trader route in my early years, but fortunately recognized the pitfalls long ago.
This is a great online community, there are people here I admire and listen to. I have learned a lot, more than I've contributed.

I learned of The Adventures of Tioga and George in this Forum. My day is not complete until I read his daily post. He lives my idea of the perfect retired life. This morning, for example, he tells of needing to get to the U.S. in a "hurry":

This morning the TiogaRV Team will head north for the United States! This trip is especially to visit our Datastorm dealer and friend Steve O'Bosky, to get our Mr. Datastorm working again.
We plan to drive about four hours each day. Wherever we are after a four hour drive, that is where we will make our Camp.
How he survives that kind of pressure, I'll never know.

BTW, his website should be listed under "Quick Links" in the infamous Right Column.

I love to exchange posts with other LBYM'ers, and learned money saving tips from other members.

But what I found most astonishing was that 50-yr old and up to 70-yr old men, and women too, still think obsessively about sex like a bunch of teenagers. Well, at least they talk like they do. :whistle:

It took me a while to get used to it, but I initially thought "What a bunch of horny geezers!". :hide:

NW-bound: Well, you know what St Agustin said: Dear God My Lord...give me chastity, ...but not yet.

But what I found most astonishing was that 50-yr old and up to 70-yr old men, and women too, still think obsessively about sex like a bunch of teenagers. Well, at least they talk like they do. :whistle:

It took me a while to get used to it, but I initially thought "What a bunch of horny geezers!". :hide:

We aren't geezers. The US is a giant youth cult, but that attitude is quite mistaken. My brother who is younger than I am has a 75 yo GF. He says she is cute, has her head on straight and effs like a high school girl on prom night. Furthermore, they aren't buying any KY jelly.

How's that for a LBYM tip? Get a horny old gal and end your trips to Walgreens for lube.

Ha

And to proves NW-Bound's point (" 50-yr old and up to 70-yr old men, and women too, still think obsessively about sex like a bunch of teenagers. Well, at least they talk like they do.") :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

We aren't geezers. The US is a giant youth cult, but that attitude is quite mistaken. My brother who is younger than I am has a 75 yo GF. He says she is cute, has her head on straight and effs like a high school girl on prom night. Furthermore, they aren't buying any KY jelly.

How's that for a LBYM tip? Get a horny old gal and end your trips to Walgreens for lube.

Ha

Really? Hmmm.... My thought is you are the first one to bring up sex in this thread.

I mean really! There are some very highly educated and/or well read people on this forum. Sometimes the discussions are way over my head, but eventually someone comes along and helps make it more understandable.

I agree. There are some amazing people here. As a small fish in a big pond I find it best for me to sit in a corner, listen carefully, and take notes.
I even search out posts by a certain few because I know I'm most likely going to learn something.

And to proves NW-Bound's point (" 50-yr old and up to 70-yr old men, and women too, still think obsessively about sex like a bunch of teenagers. Well, at least they talk like they do.") :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I am not sure what you are saying. What I am saying is that older people are no different from younger people, they like food, they like diversions, and they like sex. Perhaps for some that is a circumstance for tittering, for others is part of a good life.

Ha

Between this gang and the Bogleheads gang (many of the same folks) I feel that all that I have to do is read the threads and make an occasional comment that hopefully adds to the discussion and I have as much in depth knowledge about the issues that concern me as are obtainable anywhere on earth.

I take it for granted that you will all be here forever.

I am not sure what you are saying. What I am saying is that older people are no different from younger people, they like food, they like diversions, and they like sex.

Seriously?

Between this gang and the Bogleheads gang (many of the same folks) I feel that all that I have to do is read the threads and make an occasional comment that hopefully adds to the discussion and I have as much in depth knowledge about the issues that concern me as are obtainable anywhere on earth.

I take it for granted that you will all be here forever.

:2funny: Oh, sure! Well, as a group we might be here forever.Like anywhere, individual members do come and go - - but as much as I miss those who have left us, I really do appreciate some of the articulate, intelligent, insightful, and even funny "new" folks who have shown up during the time I have spent here.

I think the Bogleheads board is a fantastic resource and I read there a lot. In fact, I discovered this board from a mention on the M* Vanguard Diehards board, from which Bogleheads branched off like a Phoenix when the need arose. So these forums seem like brothers, sisters, and offspring in a sense.

When I started here I was spending thousands of dollars a year for books. I didn't realize libraries now let you check catalogs online and reserve books and just pick them up. Nords, you saved me a lot of money.
I used to spend a bundle on books before ER. I can't remember precisely when I learned the DC library has online ordering but I think I too may have check after reading one of Nords' posts. Thank you, thank you, thank you Nords :angel:-- I have saved thousands.
You're welcome, guys, I had no idea.

In my teens & 20s I probably spent over $100/month on paperbacks and various "book of the month" clubs. (That's an average-- ages 23-26 I was spending a solid seven months a year overseas or underwater.) This entertainment category came under significant pressure right after the wedding... hence my inter-library lending experience.

Coincidentally when our kid was born we started putting roughly the same amount aside for the college fund. Worked great.

And yet, somehow, people still wonder what we do all day!

I could never list them all, but a few came to mind for me today. (snip)

The public library. It seems so silly that I never thought of getting books from the library, but I didn't. When I started here I was spending thousands of dollars a year for books. I didn't realize libraries now let you check catalogs online and reserve books and just pick them up. Nords, you saved me a lot of money. (snip)

Not only that, libraries often enable you to borrow books they don't have in their own collection. By online search in WorldCat you can find out which libraries have the book you want, then request it via interlibrary loan. There may be a fee for this, but often it's free and it almost certainly costs less than buying the book.

A few things I learned:

How Forums work - this is the first forum I ever joined (4+ years ago)

How FireCalc works - I found the forum through using FireCalc - can't remember how I found FireCalc

Advice and pointers to all sorts of useful stuff, CD's, Credit Cards, AA and far too many other things to list

How Annuities work and their problems

There are LOT's of LBYM'ers out there ready to share, and some of them are really nice folks, miserly with money but not so with advice, humor and friendliness.

A good place to share health issues, including Health Insurance and costs. This particular forum was not around originally but it is a great forum - thanks very much to Rich for agreeing to moderate this.

And finally, thank you to all the moderators, they devote much time and effort to keeping the forums well regulated.

I learned that despite what mainstream media likes to say, there are real people who retire successfully without having a millions of dollars.

PenFed rocks.

I like having a place where people talk openly about money and personal finances. I appreciate all the cost cutting tips. And the travel blogs and the photography posts.

... older people are no different from younger people, they like food, they like diversions, and they like sex...

How true! One would be lying if he said otherwise. Or he has some other problems. Ahem.

I still have not frequented nor even lurked at any other forum. However, I have recently spent some time scanning full-time RV'er blogs. Initially, it was for their travel experience, but some also have interesting philosophical viewpoints. Two years ago, I surfed the Web mainly for technical info in my field of work, and to read articles published by "established" media sources.

I am glad to see that many members here are still avid readers of books, either in printed or electronic forms. For in-depth discussions and reflections, books cannot be beat and will be with us for a while.

Wow, that was amazingly out of context, RonBoyd, from my post which follows:
:2funny: Oh, sure! Well, as a group we might be here forever.Like anywhere, individual members do come and go - - but as much as I miss those who have left us, I really do appreciate some of the articulate, intelligent, insightful, and even funny "new" folks who have shown up during the time I have spent here.

I think the Bogleheads board is a fantastic resource and I read there a lot. In fact, I discovered this board from a mention on the M* Vanguard Diehards board, from which Bogleheads branched off like a Phoenix when the need arose. So these forums seem like brothers, sisters, and offspring in a sense.

In over a quarter century of reading message boards and usenet posts, I believe that is the most out of context quote I have ever seen! :flowers:

Last edited:
...But what I found most astonishing was that 50-yr old and up to 70-yr old men, and women too, still think obsessively about sex like a bunch of teenagers. Well, at least they talk like they do. :whistle:

Hey, I resemble that remark! :cool:

Oh the birds and the bees and the flowers and the trees...:whistle:
Your serve. :D

Some are talkers and some are doers. Oops, wrong saying.

Another thing this forum does for yours truly is it triggers me to go research terminology I've never heard of and financial subjects I had previously encountered in my investment books but just kinda skipped over. :blush:
I've always been an avid life long learner type, and this site has motivated me to rekindle that natural curiosity.
I was stuck in a bureaucratic j*b for way too long and really felt my mind idling from not being challenged anymore. Not so here! :whistle:

Back
Top Bottom