Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-25-2021, 08:37 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Tightwad View Post
Some people have neighbors that cause all kinds of problems.

You have some that gave you wine.

Appreciate what you have.
+10

First world problems for sure when your biggest complaint about the neighbor is that they are leaving you bottles of wine instead of running a meth house with two unchained pitt bulls on the front porch.
Fermion is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2021, 08:42 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Most folks old enough to be considering retirement have learned not to impute meaning to others' actions without SOME basis. You probably have too. In some neighborhoods, folks just don't talk to each other. In others, it's a regular community. If you want to make it warmer, you can start -- just as you did. Happy New Year!
isisdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 08:42 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

It was a friendly, thoughtful gesture on Both you and your neighbor.
Sit back, relax, and enjoy a Merry Christmas!
Tomorrow or whenever you see them, start a conversation and get to know each other better.
Old 12-25-2021, 11:57 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Seems like niceness all around. Your next move:. Invite them over for a glass of wine in a few months.
Old 12-25-2021, 12:06 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by isisdave View Post
Most folks old enough to be considering retirement have learned not to impute meaning to others' actions without SOME basis. You probably have too. In some neighborhoods, folks just don't talk to each other. In others, it's a regular community. If you want to make it warmer, you can start -- just as you did. Happy New Year!
+1. Having moved around a lot, I can attest to this. Some neighborhoods it's normal to know each other (where we live now), and others hardly anyone knows their neighbors - not even next door some times. In my current neighborhood, almost everyone waves at each other driving or walking, whether they know you or not. We walk everyday, and it's the complete opposite in the two neighborhoods right next to us - drivers and walkers don't even make eye contact much less wave or smile, even though we wave at almost everyone (why not?). I have no idea why...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 12:10 PM   #26

Timely post! Our new neighbor of about 2.5 years stopped by yesterday and gave our 2 indoor kitties a card and gift! DH thinks we should pick up a couple of gifts for their cats (outdoor and they very much enjoy our yard looking for lizards and gophers!). I'm on the fence and think we should just enjoy the gifts.

The neighbors are very nice and we've had some very pleasant interactions with them over the years.
TrvlBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 04:21 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
+1. Having moved around a lot, I can attest to this. Some neighborhoods it's normal to know each other (where we live now), and others hardly anyone knows their neighbors - not even next door some times. In my current neighborhood, almost everyone waves at each other driving or walking, whether they know you or not. We walk everyday, and it's the complete opposite in the two neighborhoods right next to us - drivers and walkers don't even make eye contact much less wave or smile, even though we wave at almost everyone (why not?). I have no idea why...

Nobody ever put cookies or any sort of gift on our porch, explained or not. But our neighborhood is one where most of the people whose houses I can see from here apparently don't talk to strangers like us who have only been here 11+ years. That said I'm not putting stuff on peoples porches either. There are a few people I exchange greetings with when I see them while doing yard work or walking. I also have no idea why it it that way.

The first apartment I had when I moved here in '87, the building was party central. To the point I moved when my lease was up for a quieter place, at the ripe old age of 28.
MC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 04:36 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

My lovely neighbors left us a freshly baked load of sourdough. The husband is a good baker. We do not reciprocate. However, last year during the year I gave him a vintage sourdough cookbook for inspiration.

My husband also shovels or sweeps their walkway and sidewalk along with other neighbors. He enjoys it and we do not expect any "reward". It is just being a good neighbor and better than any Christmas present.
sweetana3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 05:38 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Look at the pleasant side of things. They appreciated your gift and chose to reciprocate. Take it at face value. You have nice neighbors.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 05:51 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

You are turning lemonade back into a lemon. Lighten up!
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 06:19 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincenzo Corleone View Post
Covid has really made some people squeamish about having extended chats face-to-face. One of the neighbors I referred to are in a high-risk demographic. Moreover, I've noticed that other neighbors have this ritual of leaving bags of homemade food for each other on their doors. I wonder if it's so unusual.

But, anyway, I get the feeling I'm overthinking things.

Edit to add: And, to be clear, this reciprocation happened within an hour or two of us leaving the baked goods at their door. The expeditiousness in which it was done, I think, is the sticking point for me. Of course it's natural for people to want to return a kind gesture at some future point. But, for some reason, the swiftness of it made it feel more like - "OK, let's just get this over with so we can call it even".

I know - I'm nuts. Moderators, please feel free to delete this thread.
Don't ... (my name). Personally, I don't like being in debt. So upon receiving a gift, I might reciprocate on that basis. But I would also have newfound appreciation for my neighbors and think maybe they're nicer than I thought. In other words, I'd try reaching out a bit more.

For example, how do you know they felt "let's get this over with" versus "we should accept their invitation to friendship". Maybe I should put it differently to you.

You offered to break bread with this neighbors. Mr Corleone, the wine is a Sicilian message. The wine means they have accepted your offer of friendship.
OverThinkMuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 03:34 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

I would feel the same way as your neighbor. Not sure if I would have acted on it but it’s human nature to want to ‘pay back’ a good deed. Be the bigger person and be appreciative. Let it go. Happy new Yesr!
scaubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 03:37 PM   #33
Confused about dryer sheets

It’s the universal law of reciprocation. See the books by Robert Cialdini titled “pre-suasion” and “influence”. It is human nature across all cultures to reciprocate a gift, no matter how insignificant the initial gift may be so we do not feel indebted. I highly recommend the books and to not be upset about the reciprocation.
mb24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 03:43 PM   #34
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
My wife had gone on a baking spree this holiday season, making all sorts of goodies. The plan was to bring the baked goods to a family gathering so we can all enjoy them together. We ended up with so much that we decided to give some to our neighbors. Up until today, we never exchanged more than a brief greeting when we crossed paths with our neighbors, and we thought it this would be a nice, friendly gesture. So we prepared the little packages of goodies and left them on our neighbors doorsteps.

Due to unforeseen circumstances, the family gathering didn't take place, so my wife and I are spending a quiet Christmas by ourselves this year. A little disappointing, but we're making the best of it. She made a great Christmas eve dinner of rack of lamb which we enjoyed with a nice bottle of cabernet.

Anyway - as we were calling it a night, I went to take the garbage out when - to my surprise - I found a couple of gift bags with bottles of wine in them - from our neighbors. I'm confident we would not have received them had we not left them the baked goods, as we never exchanged anything in prior years.

I find myself feeling disappointed. Not because the bottles of wine were not of good quality or anything like that. It's because of the spirit in which it was done. It's obvious to me that my neighbors felt obligated - like they're keeping score and they don't want to feel things are "uneven". So they grabbed a bottle of wine they had lying around that they didn't mind parting with, shoved it in a bag and made things "even". I would have appreciated it more if, when we crossed paths again, they expressed their appreciation and told us that they enjoyed the things my wife baked. I wasn't looking for a "payback". We don't keep score. It kind of cheapened the gesture.

These feelings really caught me by surprise - I didn't expect to feel this sense of disappointment. Am I nuts?

I wouldn't worry about it. I received a couple of gifts like that from people that I didn't expect it from. I thanked them profusely, but I still feel a little guilty that I didn't have something on hand to give them or take something over afterward. Maybe it's good that I didn't! It's natural to want to reciprocate. Maybe things can be more friendly between you from now on.
Earlygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 03:54 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Free wine is still free wine!
And yes, I think you're overthinking this.
Enjoy the grape as you ring in the New Year.
NoEZmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 04:02 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

You could view it as a 'thank you'.
gooddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 04:14 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Good to know that you don't like gifts. Makes life easier.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 04:15 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
My wife had gone on a baking spree this holiday season, making all sorts of goodies. The plan was to bring the baked goods to a family gathering so we can all enjoy them together. We ended up with so much that we decided to give some to our neighbors. Up until today, we never exchanged more than a brief greeting when we crossed paths with our neighbors, and we thought it this would be a nice, friendly gesture. So we prepared the little packages of goodies and left them on our neighbors doorsteps.

Due to unforeseen circumstances, the family gathering didn't take place, so my wife and I are spending a quiet Christmas by ourselves this year. A little disappointing, but we're making the best of it. She made a great Christmas eve dinner of rack of lamb which we enjoyed with a nice bottle of cabernet.

Anyway - as we were calling it a night, I went to take the garbage out when - to my surprise - I found a couple of gift bags with bottles of wine in them - from our neighbors. I'm confident we would not have received them had we not left them the baked goods, as we never exchanged anything in prior years.

I find myself feeling disappointed. Not because the bottles of wine were not of good quality or anything like that. It's because of the spirit in which it was done. It's obvious to me that my neighbors felt obligated - like they're keeping score and they don't want to feel things are "uneven". So they grabbed a bottle of wine they had lying around that they didn't mind parting with, shoved it in a bag and made things "even". I would have appreciated it more if, when we crossed paths again, they expressed their appreciation and told us that they enjoyed the things my wife baked. I wasn't looking for a "payback". We don't keep score. It kind of cheapened the gesture.

These feelings really caught me by surprise - I didn't expect to feel this sense of disappointment. Am I nuts?
Yes your overthinking this!!! If you barely talked to your neighbors and suddenly leave food, yeah you made it awkward. If you want a relationship, maybe invite neighbors over, organize a neighborhood meet & greet, or just accept people want privacy!
2cheap2eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 04:21 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Yes you are nuts
JJpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 04:29 PM   #40
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:

I think you are now obligated to drink that wine with the wino neighbors. (I'm the wino neighbor and would truly appreciate a bit of wine time with our thoughtful neighbors).
cbbennet is offline   Reply With Quote