Join Early Retirement Today

A little diet humor
Old 08-15-2013, 09:52 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

A little diet humor

Are you struggling with how to stay healthy so you can enjoy your retirement? Do all the various diets confuse you? Are confusing studies about omega-3's, saturated fats, seed oils and grass fed beaver cheese driving you crazy? Is milking a soy bean difficult for you? Have you tried to make non-fat, grain free, meat free, soy free, glutten free, low sodium, low sugar, organic only, non GMO, decaffeinated, foods and found that you end up living on nothing but air and fresh snow melt?

Then you will enjoy this video:

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2013, 10:00 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This is hilarious! Thanks for sharing. It is unbelievably confusing to know what you can eat when the rules seem to change weekly.

Old men and women sit in the shade of trees they planted long ago
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:29 AM   #3
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumDay View Post
This is hilarious! Thanks for sharing.
+1
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:43 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the laugh. I currently have a gluten-free vegan houseguest, so I understand the frustration of cooking something that is both tasty and meeting her dietary requirements.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:17 PM   #5

Very funny.

I guess I'm lucky. Although I'm a LCHF kind of person (low carb, high fat), I have friends from "the other side" and we have never had any friction, even when going together to normal restaurants.

I even have friends with serious celiac disease, and they are able to be completely cool about their gluten free diet. They simply bring something safe for them to eat when they go with us on a trip. No hassles.

I'm sure there are plenty of folks who whine and make life difficult for their friends regarding food choices, but I honestly don't know any.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 03:18 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Rofl !!!
Dancer373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 03:45 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

That's a scream! (Notice how underfed the actors look?)

At last we know what became of the little kids whose parents got the schools to ban peanut-butter-and-jelly sandwiches for all.

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:37 PM   #8

Cute! My DD has been lactose intolerant for many years, but still has stomach problems. She has been trying to be gluten free and her DH has joined her for support. Her main problem has been that her hobby is baking. Just like in the video, she can not make her baked goods as tasty.
Dreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:09 PM   #9

Ha! That was great.

No one here is lactose or gluten intolerant, but if we go to my sister's for Thanksgiving we have to keep in mind that the meal is kosher with vegetarian options. No dairy products and make sure you know which platter has the real turkey and which has the tofurckey.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:40 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I have celiac disease, and no way am I going to ever eat gluten if I can help it. My GF and my family are very helpful-all that needs to be done is to fix whatever they want, but tell me what I can eat besides the protein dish. If it is only salad, that is plenty enough for me. Often that is all I fix myself at home. Eating is not huge in my life- though I rarely miss a nice piece of salmon or halibut or cod if I can afford it that day.

Traveling can be a challenge, but I have found that expensive restaurants, or in one's own city places where you have taken the time to make some relationships seem completely trustworthy. Ethnic places can be very problematical, I think partly because of language, and partly because wheat intolerance is almost exclusively an illness of Europeans. Overall finding safe food for a celiac has all changed very much for the better over the 20 years or so that I have been aware of my diagnosis. For a long time if I went out after a dance say, I had only a drink and some nuts that I carried on my person. You can go a long time on nuts. Just don't eat any carb or you can bonk.

Eating to avoid gluten is very simple in one's own kitchen. I have never prepared or bought a "gluten free" food that was conceived or marketed as gluten free. Only thing I miss is pizza in Southern New England, but I will never again have any. But big deal-neither will I ever sleep with 99.9999999999999999999999999 x10 to the whatever % of the attractive women I see all over the place. If I am going to feel sorry for myself, it won't be over pizza.

Ha
Old 08-16-2013, 05:12 AM   #11

Nicely done!

I can also relate since I too have celiac disease but once one learns what products to avoid it really isn't all that much of an issue. It's a good thing I like salads though. And Betty Crocker makes some gluten free cake and cookie mixes that are actually good which apparently is not easy to do.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:08 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Ha I saw your comment re pizza in Southern NE. If you are in the area of Needham MA there is a pizzeria that has gluten free pizza
Sarah S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:12 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Just eat the toppings, and skip the crust.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:16 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Easier said than done, once the pie has been baked! The crust invades the toppings, and vice versa.

My sympathies to anyone with a food allergy. I don't think I have any, although mayonnaise makes me cough. But I suspect allergies can manifest themselves in anyone at any age.

A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Just eat the toppings, and skip the crust.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:27 AM   #15

I'd rather be alergic to gluten than myself. But wait, why is celiac considered an autoimmune disease if it's an allergy to wheat gluten?
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:35 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
I'd rather be alergic to gluten than myself. But wait, why is celiac considered an autoimmune disease if it's an allergy to wheat gluten?
I think it has something to do with the fact that it is not exactly an allergy. You don't have circulating antibodies to the peptide fragments that are involved. However, they do cause a disturbance in you small intestine (flattening of the villi) which will prevent the gut barrier from working properly. I believe the gluten peptides as well as some other things that belong staying in the gut until fully digested will get into the bloodstream. That is about all I even partially understand. But I can tell you then when you get healed a lot of symptoms disappear, and not all of them located in the gut.

Ha
Old 08-17-2013, 06:59 AM   #17

I would gladly pay to see a complete musical written around this. Thanks for the post.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:20 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
...although mayonnaise makes me cough...

A.
"No thank you please, it only makes me sneeze..."

Ringo

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
food video