A More Humane Gun Question

JPatrick

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
As all the gun guys are currently running loose--here's a question--

I inherited a 12 gauge Remington Shotgun, circa 1920's, referred to as an automatic, but it functions as a semi.  Without getting into all the family details, it was restored by the factory in the 60's and given to me in the 70's. It has been fired once since restoration. It has been in various closets in a gun case for the last 30 years.
Question is this:  Are there any websites I could use to get some idea of its value and perhaps get more details regarding specifications of this rather fine weapon??

JPatrick, you're not giving us much to work with here. :-\
Try Ebang or any one of the firearms for sale sites. In search put in your make and model and see what they go for.

Good luck,

Rich

The only gun we own is a musket from the revolutionary war :) We also own a 'training musket' from the same era, but it's not really a fully functional gun.

The powder horn still has some powder in it... even after all these years, the stuff still goes *whoooff* if you touch a match to a small pile of it. It hasn't been fired since the war, but you can easily go through the motions of pouring powder down the barrel, pulling out the ramrod, placing a ball down the barrel, tamping down the ball with the ramrod, then repeating with some wadding.... if you want to fire one of these guns, you REALLY have to want to fire it as it's fairly time consuming.... I wonder what our founding fathers would have thought about the semi/fully automatic weapons of today.

Thanks for the links guys. This gun does not appear to have a model # so the going is slow. Wonder if there is a serial number registry somewhere

Marshac said:
It hasn't been fired since the war, but you can easily go through the motions of pouring powder down the barrel, pulling out the ramrod, placing a ball down the barrel, tamping down the ball with the ramrod, then repeating with some wadding.... if you want to fire one of these guns, you REALLY have to want to fire it as it's fairly time consuming....

From my brief foray into guns I've seen that muzzle loaders are their own subclass and they even make new ones. I sorta understand collecting classics but asked the gun shop guy why anyone would buy a new muzzle loader; especially a particularly cheap looking one I was pointing to. His answer is that they legally aren't guns and anyone can legally buy them without wait or paperwork....even convicts who aren't allowed to buy guns.

JPatrick said:
Thanks for the links guys.  This gun does not appear to have a model # so the going is slow.  Wonder if there is a serial  number registry somewhere

I sure hope not, other than at the manufacturer's.

JG

Remington is usually very helpful. Give then a description and the serial number, and they will tell you when it was built, and maybe something about the steel.

For the most part, these guns are interesting but not particularly valuable.

Before firing it, be sure to have a gunsmith tell you what you can safely fire in it.
The newer steel shot mandated for waterfowling will wreck many older guns.

Ha

HaHa said:
Remington is usually very helpful. Give then a description and the serial number, and they will tell you when it was built, and maybe something about the steel.

For the most part, these guns are interesting but not particularly valuable.

Before firing it, be sure to have a gunsmith tell you what you can safely fire in it.
The newer steel shot mandated for waterfowling will wreck many older guns.

Ha

The last sentence is true. However, there are many alternatives to steel
shot (tungsten, bismuth). Not only that, but both of these are superior
(for waterfowl). If you have a newer gun and it's just to shoot
home invaders, most any shot size will do, although as TH pointed
out the smaller shot (No. 8 for example) causes less damage to your
home's interior.

JG

Question: Non-lethal options
                   Shotgun ammo, can you buy the legendary rock salt loaded shells? What is the range and damage to be expected using rock salt against a tresspasser? Would rock salt be considered non-lethal? What other shot gun ammo options could be used?

Uhhh.... generally, if you point a firearm at someone, assume it will be lethal. Some people handload very light loads (regardless of the projectile) and hope for minor injuries, but a firearm isn't a suitable tool for a rap on the knuckles. I seem to recall a handul of actors killed when a pistol loaded with just blanks was fired at them at close range.

Someone once suggested that a firearm should be used against others when your choice is between being judged by 12 or carried by 6...

Also consider the Blue Book of Gun Values ... great reference. (amazon.com link)

(EDIT: shortened URL. Beat you to it, REWahoo. -BMJ)

Back
Top Bottom