Join Early Retirement Today

A new car?
Old 04-23-2007, 08:03 PM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
A new car?

My 1989 vehicle has started to make new noises.

Any ideas for a good new or used econobox?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: A new car?
Old 04-23-2007, 08:09 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Yugo?

Old 04-23-2007, 08:11 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Get yourself certified as a qualified charity. Then get someone to donate you a car and deduct it from their taxes!

"Kars for Khan"
Old 04-23-2007, 08:21 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My son bought himself a new Toyota Yaris. I've owned many econoboxes and this is much nicer than any of the ones I ever had. He bought the 2 door liftback but there is also a 4 door sedan.

http://www.toyota.com/yaris/index.html
Old 04-23-2007, 08:25 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hyundai Accent.
Mwsinron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 08:27 PM   #6

I'm in the new car market also...I'm deciding between the Prius and the Civic Hybrid....to my surprise they are readily available and through the wonders of internet sales both are being offered 2k under msrp ..I love communicating with car salepeople through email and not the phone or in person! I'll set the deal before I go in.... anyone have experience with either?...or have an opinion on which is better...or whether it makes more sense to just get a Corolla or reg Civic?....
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 08:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J
My son bought himself a new Toyota Yaris. I've owned many econoboxes and this is much nicer than any of the ones I ever had. He bought the 2 door liftback but there is also a 4 door sedan.

http://www.toyota.com/yaris/index.html
..that is a cute car!...and half the cost of the prius & civic hybrid...I'm having a moment of indecision right now....
Old 04-23-2007, 08:41 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I researched and got a straight-up Civic. I discovered that, for the kind of mileage I put on my car, the gas savings wasn't that phenomenal for the hybrid. Plus, with the premiums you have to pay on those cars, even with the tax break and the (hopefully) fewer trips to the pump, you'd have to drive it a LONG time to make back your money.

I love it. I only wish Honda would let you have other color options for the interior. I got a white car and my only choice for interior was tan. My last car was white with black leather. MUCH easier to keep clean and looking nice.

L
LKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 08:55 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I've always been a fan of Hondas.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:24 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Once you go Honda, you never go back.............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 09:26 PM   #11
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan

http://www.smartusa.com/

http://www.toyota.com/byt/pub/init.d...4&series_id=14
Old 04-23-2007, 09:28 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude
Once you go Honda, you never go back.............
That's what I hear. And after my '98 Mercury Mistake dropped its transmission at less than 80k miles, I wanted something that was built to last.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:34 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

If you don't drive a whole lot, hard to go wrong with an Odyssey or Sienna minivan. Good safety, good mileage for the size, and you can transport furniture, TVs, or whatever you might want to move.

Ha
Old 04-23-2007, 11:59 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTien
I'm in the new car market also...I'm deciding between the Prius and the Civic Hybrid....to my surprise they are readily available and through the wonders of internet sales both are being offered 2k under msrp ..I love communicating with car salepeople through email and not the phone or in person! I'll set the deal before I go in.... anyone have experience with either?...or have an opinion on which is better...or whether it makes more sense to just get a Corolla or reg Civic?....
DanTien,

This is anecdotal so take it for what it's worth. My parents own the Prius and they absolutely love it. They aren't techno-geeks or tree-huggers, but they love the quietness of the car. It seems to be pretty well designed and is roomy. The acceleration is more than adequate, but you won't mistake it for a 6-cyl. They have had the car for 1.5 years. The main negative is that the car isn't nice-looking. It's a fun exercise to try and maximize the efficiency of the car by looking at the display!

My friend bought the Civic hybrid about a year back. This was the first year that they had it and he had all kinds of problems with it. Many of the problems were related to the hybrid system. He was without the car for several months IIRC. Eventually, Honda bought the car back from him and sold him a new hybrid. He's happy with the car, but it sounds like he would have been happier with the Prius. I believe the hybrid system in the Prius is more advanced than the one in the Honda. The Civic is a much better looking car and just looks more "normal" inside.

Good to see you back!
WanderALot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 06:11 AM   #15

Thanks WanderALot. and thanks for that info...I'm the kinda guy that would love to look at a cool display and get the best I can out of the thing....just got a computer for my comfort bike...its got stats everywhich way to Sunday, including calories burned...
Old 04-24-2007, 06:36 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

By the by, don't ignore the Honda Fit, if you are looking for extra space. It's kind of neat the way the seats work - all kinds of cargo space. I think it's a bit higher on the interior space than Civic as well. A bit less expensive, smaller wheel base, and they look kind of cool.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:04 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKH
By the by, don't ignore the Honda Fit, if you are looking for extra space. It's kind of neat the way the seats work - all kinds of cargo space. I think it's a bit higher on the interior space than Civic as well. A bit less expensive, smaller wheel base, and they look kind of cool.
...those new very small cars have got my attention....feel like buying one of each....
Old 04-24-2007, 07:21 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

The scion xb is worth a look, as is the rav4/crv series. The xb is cheap and decent, quite reliable and economical but noisy on the highway and not as refined as the rav4/crv's. But cheaper. The rav/crv's also get good mileage, have few problems, run a long time and hold a lot of stuff.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 07:22 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Yup! I've been eying the Smart Car as well. But then I'll probably drive my new Civic into the ground before I shop again for a new one, so who knows what the market will offer by then?

Ever see the show "Futurecars?" They had a series on alternative fuels on the horizon. One especially neat-looking car ran on compressed air. Another GENERATED enough electricity to provide energy for the average family home, and according to the makers, they could be sold at the price of the average family car. And all of these had working prototypes already on the road. I hope public interest pushes auto companies to start putting these things out. Might help us dig out of the Middle East, too, if we're not so dependent on the oil.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:30 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

2008 Honda Accord coming out.........WOW!!!!

http://www.caranddriver.com/autoshow...e-concept.html

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote