A "new" monitor :)

steelyman

Moderator Emeritus
We got blasted with a severe storm this week. I suppose this was the same system that headed east.

I needed (as opposed to "wanted") to get some financial things done, but when I went to the desktop... poof! No display.

I have/had quite a large NEC CRT monitor that was expensive in the late 90s and served me well, but because it is so old, that's what I guessed was the problem (the computer itself went through the POST sequence perfectly, if you ignore all the craziness Windows wants when you boot).

After thinking about it, I decided to go find a cheap monitor that could do the job for a few months. If that didn't fix it, the video in the PC was the next suspect (Mean Mr. Mustard).

I found a local repair shop that has a good rep/reviews and a half hour later carried out a used Samsung, which, when I hooked it up, said "Howdy sailor - come here often?". Kidding...

It cost $50, which is worth it to me to limp along through September. Now I can get the bills paid!

I should have put that post in the "What did you do today?" thread. You've heard this before: oops :(

Plenty of used equipment out their with good service life remaining.
Good on ya for doing your part for recycling!

Recycling rocks! That same shop will do it responsibly.

But I'm not looking forward to lifting that CRT ;)

Think I've carried off the last CRT to the electronics recycling. I have 3 Dell LCDs in my home office. Usually just one is on. I was measuring different heat sources with a digital thermometer, and the LCD monitor was 88 degrees F. If I still had the Triniton beast, the a/c would probably run for hours.

I think at some interval you have to give up the old electronics as it makes no financial sense to keep it powered on for 8-12 hours a day.

All the CRTs are gone at my place. Now I have one LED monitor (ASUS, the one I use) for my desktop. I have another LCD monitor (Emachine, refurbished but has real good resolution), plus an old 15 inch Dell that I picked up for $20 at a Goodwill a few years back.

Think I've carried off the last CRT to the electronics recycling. I have 3 Dell LCDs in my home office. Usually just one is on. I was measuring different heat sources with a digital thermometer, and the LCD monitor was 88 degrees F. If I still had the Triniton beast, the a/c would probably run for hours.

I think at some interval you have to give up the old electronics as it makes no financial sense to keep it powered on for 8-12 hours a day.

I have a very old school computer desk with a bookshelf ( place for the cats to hang out) above. In the winter , I drag out a very old Dell 19" CRT . It makes a great heater :D , and the cats fight for position over the heater , uh, I mean CRT Monitor.

Though I currently have 5 LCD computer screens in the home (not counting the laptops), I still keep the big 22" CRT for nostalgic reasons. In the late 90s, that monster cost more than $2K, and displayed a beautiful 1600x1200 resolution. Many thousands of hours were spent writing code and laying out PCB on that screen.

Its depth requires a big and deep desk, so that it does not stick out in your face. You almost have to cut a hole in the wall to stick its rear end into.

PS. Ever since I stopped work, even the LCDs are not turned on much anymore. For the few occasions when I need to turn on the tower PCs, I use Remote Desktop to run them from my laptop. I can even turn the PCs on/off remotely through the laptop (the tower PCs are upstairs).

Last edited:
Glad you found a nice, cheap replacement monitor that you like! :) Paying your bills generally has a better outcome than not paying them.

Recycling rocks! That same shop will do it responsibly.

Some state and county prisons used to do that... (I don't know HOW REW let that one go by ;) ).

I have one CRT left, my present TV. My CRT monitors seemed to have lasted forever. The View Sonic professional finally became finicky, I replaced it with a LG Flatron LCD, which only lasted a few years. And in that few years, the LCD monitor market went to the 16:9 widescreen aspect ratio. Not what I wanted. I need to read stuff with a lower screen res so characters are reasonably big. To get a similar vertical viewing area that I had, I would have to get a big big diagonal measurement in a wide-screen, which would take up all the room horizontally. I was able to find a 5:4 aspect ratio LCD with LED backlight and the same vertical viewing area from... DELL, of all places! Ordered one up through a distributor, and have been happy with it.

Back
Top Bottom