Join Early Retirement Today

A personal shopper for a person who hates to shop (except tools)...
Old 11-21-2018, 07:00 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A personal shopper for a person who hates to shop (except tools)...

The Mrs ,DD, DS and SIL were going shopping at the outlets (40 minutes away. (It’s a place where you can see a nuclear power plant cooling tower in the distance) Since I hate shopping and DD cant make her mind up on anything I said “I’ll pass”. The Mrs asked “Do you need anything” Me: “Well my Cabela’s jacket is looking rather ratty.” (Its an intermediate weight).

They left about 9 AM. About 2 hours later the dog and I are hanging by the Gas stove relaxing/reading when I get a text with a picture of my son in a dark Under Armor jacket.. the Mrs calls ”well
?” I say it looks nice. $199 after sales & coupons $81. Bam winter coat shopping done!

There really is only one way to shop...
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2018, 07:17 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My mother was a shopper. I'm what I call a buyer. When I hit a store, I know what I need and I'm out'a there.

My wife is a shopper, however she only seldom steps foot in any mall or department store--other than Walmart which is where essentials are bought.

I finally got around to pressing all my clothes and hanging them in the closet. I was amazed to find I have over 12 pairs of khaki pants and dozens of golf shirts. In retirement, I wear jeans and t shirts most days when I'm not wearing khaki shorts. My yearly clothing expenses are maybe $100.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 07:23 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
(It’s a place where you can see a nuclear power plant cooling tower in the distance)
Albertville by any chance?!
bizlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 07:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizlady View Post

The Philadelphia outlets at Limerick
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 08:55 AM   #5

DW used to love to tell people how she had to buy me socks and underwear to go on our honeymoon. She loved shopping and was good at it.
I don't like shopping, especially clothes shopping. Don't mind grocery shopping if it not crowded.
If it wasn't for Amazon and restaurant gift cards folks would only get cash for gifts. But I will still get off my butt to go to the antique shop to pick out some jewellery for DDs this weekend.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizlady View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
The Philadelphia outlets at Limerick
We have an outlet mall just like that, in Monroe Michigan. Right near a nuclear plant and a Cabelas. Thought you were nearby. Good shopping strategy.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:14 PM   #7

I hate shopping and especially outlet malls! I don’t like sorting through rejects to find something good. I do most of my shopping online, and if I absolutely have to go to a mall, I call and check stock first, then go pick up what I want and leave.

I do enjoy shopping at small local shops or art festivals. Totally different than fighting the crowds at malls.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 02:23 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

I was gonna say Limerick. Was just up there. I always get a sense of maybe we'll die, maybe we wont whenever we are up there. Havent died yet
MrsHaloFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 07:08 PM   #9

I seem to recall in my younger years that I sort of liked shopping to an extent. Going to the mall was a diversion, and occasionally I would find something I liked and I would buy it.

But the problem with going to the mall now is that I know the selection is going to be so limited compared to what I can find at Amazon, and the prices are going to be higher. So I just don't see any purpose to it anymore. I still find the treasure hunt concept at Costco to be somewhat fun, and they do have good prices on stuff there so I always end up buying things when I go. But that's about the only B&M store left that I routinely go to.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 07:32 PM   #10

I am not a fan of shopping - at all.

To the extent I shop, it is online.

DM had a black belt in shopping. DH goes shopping a few times a week. He buys the food and weekly necessaries.