Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-17-2013, 08:20 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck

Do you use the same deodorant stick for your feet and under arms?
My feet don't smell now because they are never trapped in dress shoes and colored socks anymore. But when they did occasionally bark back in the day I would do this trick a couple times a year and it worked like magic... I would soak them in a bleach/Warm water solution for 5-10 minutes. That freshened them up real quick and lasted for several weeks at a time. Learned that from a friend of mine and it worked for him so I tried it. Now, I don't wear dress shoes and dress socks anymore so problem is gone.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2013, 08:31 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Oh and mostly it is the sweat that bothers me in summer with my feet. They don't really smell (I don't think) so I use the antiperspirant to stop the sweat in summer. With socks in winter it is no problem.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:03 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
No, I use the ordinary stuff under my arms. Only do the fancy $$ on my feet in the summer when I don't wear socks.

And apparently there are all kinds of people who don't use deodorant because of the aluminum or something. I rode with a very hippie crowd to a hooping event last summer and was astonished to learn there was such an anti-deodorant crowd. They only use anti-perspirant. I never even noticed you could buy one without the other.
Ah, I think anti-perspirants contain aluminum (or something). As I recall, way back in the day, there were some deodorants that did not contain aluminum, but then again, I think research started showing it just didn't matter--aluminum-free or not.

From wikipedia:

Deodorants combined with antiperspirant agents are classified as drugs by the FDA.[1] Antiperspirants attempt to stop or significantly reduce perspiration and thus reduce the moist climate in which bacteria thrive. Aluminium chloride, aluminium chlorohydrate, and aluminium-zirconium compounds, most notably aluminium zirconium tetrachlorohydrex gly and aluminium zirconium trichlorohydrex gly, are frequently used in antiperspirants. Aluminium chlorohydrate and aluminium zirconium tetrachlorohydrate gly are the most frequent active ingredients in commercial antiperspirants.

And, hey, in my opinion, this is a way better thread than the one with the guy who wants his investment strategy to be attacked.
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:05 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

I am just amazed that most of you put this stuff on your skin every day and leave it to be absorbed.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:15 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I am just amazed that most of you put this stuff on your skin every day and leave it to be absorbed.
Do I remember reading that you are a doctor? Do you believe it is harmful?

I can't imagine NOT wearing it every single day. I would probably be as likely to go out grocery shopping minus shirt and shoes as I would without deodorant..
JustMeUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:17 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
This whole thread has me wondering now. I just automatically apply it after showering, and don't think about it.

But I keep it cool in the house in winter, the air is dry, and if I'm going to work up a sweat, I'll do it before I shower.

I guess the only way to find out is try it w/o and see. In summer, with heat and humidity I'd want to use it.

But to the OP, I did look at the Arm&Hammer brand DW buys (I think it's a pretty cheap brand, and it seems to work fine). It's got the same 19% of that active ingredient. Hard to imaging that going from 19% to 20% would be magical, that's just 5.26% more active ingredient. I'd imagine there is more variation in application technique than that. An extra pass of the 'cheap' stuff should do the same?

A double-blind randomized test is in order, and no, I don;t want to be one of the evaluators!

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:25 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeUC View Post
Do you believe it is harmful?
It has been linked to breast cancer and may be toxic to people with kidney disease. The National Cancer Institute has evaluated the evidence on breast cancer and concluded that the jury is out.

Antiperspirants/Deodorants and Breast Cancer - National Cancer Institute
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:27 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

From Mead's linked article:
There is no conclusive research linking the use of underarm antiperspirants or deodorants and the subsequent development of breast cancer.

Good to know! Now to convince those hooping hippies I know that they can stop worrying!
I figure that it is probably the DEET bug spray I use so much of the year that will do me in-that stuff has got to be at least as bad for you!

Old 01-18-2013, 06:58 AM   #29

I get an allergic reaction to aluminum, so use deoderant vs anti-perspirant.
To clarify a mathematical issue on this topic: the increase in aluminum content is actually a bit more than 5% [1/19]. I have no idea if 5% increase is significant in the antiperspirant world, but my math-obsession required me to clarify this.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:00 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
But to the OP, I did look at the Arm&Hammer brand DW buys (I think it's a pretty cheap brand, and it seems to work fine). It's got the same 19% of that active ingredient. Hard to imaging that going from 19% to 20% would be magical, that's just 5.26% more active ingredient. I'd imagine there is more variation in application technique than that. An extra pass of the 'cheap' stuff should do the same?

-ERD50
I usually buy whatever is on sale and stash it up, the grocery store ( kroger ) often has something for $1 each. Last time it was the A&H, I looked also, same ingredient @19%, hard to imagine 1% difference makes it worth paying twice as much for half the amount.
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:34 AM   #31
Dryer sheet aficionado

According to this article, some people don't stink and still use deodorant.

http://blog.chron.com/sciguy/2013/01/if-your-underarms-didnt-stink-would-you-still-wear-deodorant/
Easypick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:43 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

My BIL wears deodorant without antiperspirants. He showers a lot too. I've never noticed any odors and he is quite huggy with us.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:56 AM   #33

Quote:
It has been linked to breast cancer and may be toxic to people with kidney disease. The National Cancer Institute has evaluated the evidence on breast cancer and concluded that the jury is out.

Antiperspirants/Deodorants and Breast Cancer - National Cancer Institute
Not to mention the fragrances, preservatives and so on included in many such products, many of which have never been tested for safety separately, let alone in combination. I don't think I got breast cancer from using deodorant, but their use seems like a possible risk, so why continue when less risky alternatives are available? In the past I've used plain deodorant--antiperspirants made me itch. I generally now use cornstarch baby powder if anything. There used to (and still may) be a product called "Shower to Shower", which was either talcum or cornstarch, plus baking soda and a fragrance. If I can find out where to get the right kind of cornstarch, I may switch to a home-made blend of cornstarch, baking soda, and possibly a drop of rose or lemon oil for fragrance.
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:06 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post

.... If I can find out where to get the right kind of cornstarch, I may switch to a home-made blend of cornstarch, baking soda, and possibly a drop of rose or lemon oil for fragrance.
You could market this to the organic generation.

I would try it as someone with underactive sweat glands.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:24 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

I did look at my stick this morning and it said if you had kidney disease, to consult your doctor prior to use. Will have to ask my mom (a 2x kidney transplant patient) if she has to use something special because of her kidney issues. Although her troubles came from a needle stick when she was RN that gave her Hep C, and the subsequent treatment w/ drugs that damaged the kidneys.
I love cornstarch! Great in hot climates to help keep you cool!

Old 01-18-2013, 09:30 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

I use a mixture of corn starch baby powder and baking soda with no fragrance added. It work well for me. Many recipes if you google homemade deodorant.
NotMyFault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:49 AM   #37
Full time employment: Posting here.

I don't wear deodorant. If DW complained, I would. I, unfortunately for my skin, shower twice a day b/c of a severe sweating problem and riding a bicycle as my main mode of transportation. No one has ever complained in fact. But, I did notice this morning that my clothes need a washing!

Having worked in west Africa, I can attest that not everyone should go without deodorant. I preferred the stairs to the elevator.
ronocnikral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:15 AM   #38

Regular products like Secret cause me to break out in a rash. I found this stuff and it works great and last a long time before having to buy more at the store.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:41 PM   #39
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
And apparently there are all kinds of people who don't use deodorant because of the aluminum or something. I rode with a very hippie crowd to a hooping event last summer and was astonished to learn there was such an anti-deodorant crowd. They only use anti-perspirant. I never even noticed you could buy one without the other.
IME, hippie types wear neither (except Arm & Hammer and other products that contain only natural ingredients) which is one reason given me why they wear so much patchouli!

There are 'aluminum free' deodorants and antiperspirants -- just google them (and reviews if it's of concern).

Tyro
Old 01-18-2013, 01:46 PM   #40

Quote:
I don't use deodorant.
I don't either.

It helps cut down on the number of people I have to interact with.

Seriously, I stopped using it 20-some years ago. I think I just ran out and forgot to buy a replacement because it was winter and didn't need it anyway.

And according to this article many people don't need it.