A serious question about Secret

I am just amazed that most of you put this stuff on your skin every day and leave it to be absorbed.

This whole thread has me wondering now. I just automatically apply it after showering, and don't think about it.

But I keep it cool in the house in winter, the air is dry, and if I'm going to work up a sweat, I'll do it before I shower.

I guess the only way to find out is try it w/o and see. In summer, with heat and humidity I'd want to use it.

But to the OP, I did look at the Arm&Hammer brand DW buys (I think it's a pretty cheap brand, and it seems to work fine). It's got the same 19% of that active ingredient. Hard to imaging that going from 19% to 20% would be magical, that's just 5.26% more active ingredient. I'd imagine there is more variation in application technique than that. An extra pass of the 'cheap' stuff should do the same?

A double-blind randomized test is in order, and no, I don;t want to be one of the evaluators!

-ERD50

From Mead's linked article:
There is no conclusive research linking the use of underarm antiperspirants or deodorants and the subsequent development of breast cancer.

Good to know! Now to convince those hooping hippies I know that they can stop worrying!
I figure that it is probably the DEET bug spray I use so much of the year that will do me in-that stuff has got to be at least as bad for you!

Last edited:
I get an allergic reaction to aluminum, so use deoderant vs anti-perspirant.
To clarify a mathematical issue on this topic: the increase in aluminum content is actually a bit more than 5% [1/19]. I have no idea if 5% increase is significant in the antiperspirant world, but my math-obsession required me to clarify this.

But to the OP, I did look at the Arm&Hammer brand DW buys (I think it's a pretty cheap brand, and it seems to work fine). It's got the same 19% of that active ingredient. Hard to imaging that going from 19% to 20% would be magical, that's just 5.26% more active ingredient. I'd imagine there is more variation in application technique than that. An extra pass of the 'cheap' stuff should do the same?

-ERD50

I usually buy whatever is on sale and stash it up, the grocery store ( kroger ) often has something for $1 each. Last time it was the A&H, I looked also, same ingredient @19%, hard to imagine 1% difference makes it worth paying twice as much for half the amount.

My BIL wears deodorant without antiperspirants. He showers a lot too. I've never noticed any odors and he is quite huggy with us.

It has been linked to breast cancer and may be toxic to people with kidney disease. The National Cancer Institute has evaluated the evidence on breast cancer and concluded that the jury is out.

Antiperspirants/Deodorants and Breast Cancer - National Cancer Institute

Not to mention the fragrances, preservatives and so on included in many such products, many of which have never been tested for safety separately, let alone in combination. I don't think I got breast cancer from using deodorant, but their use seems like a possible risk, so why continue when less risky alternatives are available? In the past I've used plain deodorant--antiperspirants made me itch. I generally now use cornstarch baby powder if anything. There used to (and still may) be a product called "Shower to Shower", which was either talcum or cornstarch, plus baking soda and a fragrance. If I can find out where to get the right kind of cornstarch, I may switch to a home-made blend of cornstarch, baking soda, and possibly a drop of rose or lemon oil for fragrance.

.... If I can find out where to get the right kind of cornstarch, I may switch to a home-made blend of cornstarch, baking soda, and possibly a drop of rose or lemon oil for fragrance.

You could market this to the organic generation.

I would try it as someone with underactive sweat glands.

I did look at my stick this morning and it said if you had kidney disease, to consult your doctor prior to use. Will have to ask my mom (a 2x kidney transplant patient) if she has to use something special because of her kidney issues. Although her troubles came from a needle stick when she was RN that gave her Hep C, and the subsequent treatment w/ drugs that damaged the kidneys.
I love cornstarch! Great in hot climates to help keep you cool!

I use a mixture of corn starch baby powder and baking soda with no fragrance added. It work well for me. Many recipes if you google homemade deodorant.

I don't wear deodorant. If DW complained, I would. I, unfortunately for my skin, shower twice a day b/c of a severe sweating problem and riding a bicycle as my main mode of transportation. No one has ever complained in fact. But, I did notice this morning that my clothes need a washing!

Having worked in west Africa, I can attest that not everyone should go without deodorant. I preferred the stairs to the elevator.

Regular products like Secret cause me to break out in a rash. I found this stuff and it works great and last a long time before having to buy more at the store.
crystal.jpg

And apparently there are all kinds of people who don't use deodorant because of the aluminum or something. I rode with a very hippie crowd to a hooping event last summer and was astonished to learn there was such an anti-deodorant crowd. They only use anti-perspirant. I never even noticed you could buy one without the other.

IME, hippie types wear neither (except Arm & Hammer and other products that contain only natural ingredients) which is one reason given me why they wear so much patchouli! :flowers:

There are 'aluminum free' deodorants and antiperspirants -- just google them (and reviews if it's of concern). ;)

Tyro

I don't use deodorant.

I don't either.

It helps cut down on the number of people I have to interact with.:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Seriously, I stopped using it 20-some years ago. I think I just ran out and forgot to buy a replacement because it was winter and didn't need it anyway.

And according to this article many people don't need it.

I've learned if I wash with an antibacterial soap, I don't develop the stink Agent Smith so disliked. That means no deodorant needed, no deodorant to gunk up clothes, and less cost.

It has been linked to breast cancer and may be toxic to people with kidney disease. The National Cancer Institute has evaluated the evidence on breast cancer and concluded that the jury is out.

Antiperspirants/Deodorants and Breast Cancer - National Cancer Institute

I use it on my feet in the summer when I wear sandals a lot, so they don't sweat. I use ordinary stuff under my arms. Some medical person told me that the clinical stuff would work better on my feet, and so it would seem.

Well, I'm not an MD, so this shouldn't be considered medical advice, Sarah, but I would suggest that you don't allow your breasts and feet to come into physical contact with one another in the summer. I guess it would be OK during the other three seasons.

This forum has a very high signal to noise ratio for learning about things I didn't know that I didn't know. Almost TMI.

Sounds like marketing hype, "new and improved". Paying twice as much for half the product.

Apply antiperspirant at night

No, I use the ordinary stuff under my arms. Only do the fancy $$ on my feet in the summer when I don't wear socks.

Ah, I think anti-perspirants contain aluminum (or something). ...
In the college days some of us who were allergic pronounced Mitchum without the "M". :cool:

According to this article, some people don't stink and still use deodorant.

http://blog.chron.com/sciguy/2013/01/if-your-underarms-didnt-stink-would-you-still-wear-deodorant/

I have no special insights on the potential for antiperspirant or deodorant to cause cancer. However, I did take a course in epidemiology. My guess is that after hundreds of millions (probably billions) of people have used (and misused) these chemicals (probably) trillions of times, a CLEAR "association" between them and cancer should be in evidence IF they potentially cause cancer. Even if there IS an "association" between them that does not prove causation. The literature is full of examples where associations were not properly controlled for other factors (Remember the old joke about cohort groups being broken down by age and sex:facepalm:). The point being that if the risk were significant, we would probably know by now after 40+ years of use among so large a cohort. Still, I wouldn't suggest eating the stuff. Of course, if you're really into that sort of thing (nod, nod, wink, wink) maybe it's worth it, but YMMV.

Well, I'm not an MD, so this shouldn't be considered medical advice, Sarah, but I would suggest that you don't allow your breasts and feet to come into physical contact with one another in the summer. I guess it would be OK during the other three seasons.

I'm not quite sure are about the boob to foot correlation--is that like hoof and mouth disease?
But I like the way you think! ;)

Walt34 said:
I don't either.

It helps cut down on the number of people I have to interact with.:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Seriously, I stopped using it 20-some years ago. I think I just ran out and forgot to buy a replacement because it was winter and didn't need it anyway.

And according to this article many people don't need it.

I may or may not need it but I will wear it everyday. Why? Outside of maybe a persons spouse, nobody will tell you that you stink(I mean "you" generically, not Walt) be rest assured they tell everyone else how bad your odor is while telling you there is no problem. Why did I not include GF or BF? Well call me shallow, but if I went on a date and noticed a "natural scent", I wouldn't tell her, I would just not call her again! And yes, I would probably be one of those types who did tell all my friends about the "ordeal" :)

I'm not quite sure are about the boob to foot correlation--is that like hoof and mouth disease?
But I like the way you think! ;)

Well, it has to do with breast cancer and deodorant (which may cause breast cancer). I was concerned because you put deodorant on your [-]hooves[/-] feet in the summer. So, I thought as a health measure that maybe your breasts should stay away from your feet in the summer. Now, I understand that this might become more difficult as age sets in, but I'm certain that others on this board will have creative solutions for this potential problem.
Stay well...

Back
Top Bottom