A serious question about Secret

JustMeUC

Recycles dryer sheets
deodorant/antiperspirant that is...

At the Local Wal-Mart:

Secret PH Balanced powder fresh 2.6 oz:
Active Ingredient: 19% Aluminum zirconium trichlorohydrex Gly (anhydrous)
$2.63

Secret Clinical Strength 1.6 oz:
Active Ingredient: 20% Aluminum zirconium trichlorohydrex Gly (anhydrous)
$7.99

My sister swears that the clinical strength is "much" better. What am I missing?

What difference does it make? Unless there is an unusual odor problem, someone should be able to smell sweet for less than $1/month.

Ha

I use it on my feet in the summer when I wear sandals a lot, so they don't sweat. I use ordinary stuff under my arms. Some medical person told me that the clinical stuff would work better on my feet, and so it would seem.

DH uses "clinical strength". I'm frugal but it's worth it . Nuff said.

What difference does it make? Unless there is an unusual odor problem, someone should be able to smell sweet for less than $1/month.

Ha

I am sure I spend way more than $1 a month on trying to? smell sweet...
:facepalm:

I am a bit fanatical about showering and using deodorant... I shower at least twice a day and use deodorant after each. I also may add a bit when I go into the bathroom during the day. I also am a perfume-a-holic... I like the niche stuff and if you go into my drawers you might think I have some type of lab going on with all my decanting supplies!!

I am sure I spend way more than $1 a month on trying to? smell sweet...
:facepalm:

I am a bit fanatical about showering and using deodorant... I shower at least twice a day and use deodorant after each. I also may add a bit when I go into the bathroom during the day. I also am a perfume-a-holic... I like the niche stuff and if you go into my drawers you might think I have some type of lab going on with all my decanting supplies!!

I can understand showering twice a day if you live in Washington, DC....at least in the summer! I shower once daily unless I have been doing something sweaty or dirty, in which case of course I shower afterwards. I don't use deodorant. I do enjoy wearing perfume and have some exotics that I have picked up on my travels. One of the things I like about ER is the ability to wear perfume whenever I want to. It was not acceptable in my w*rk environment. I do avoid perfume when, for example, visiting the dental hygienist or hairdresser. These people would have an occupational hazard of developing allergies to all the chemicals they are exposed to, and I think it's only fair to do what I can to protect them. At one of my j*bs, there was a person who insisted on dousing himself in gallons of smelly cologne. I used to have a sneezing fit whenever I came close to him. He somehow managed to get away with flouting the rules.

Last edited:
One of the reasons I like Nova Scotia:

In 2011 Halifax marks its 20th anniversary as the first city in North America to go fragrance free at work. The idea started in a local hospital and spread to other businesses. Now an entire generation of young people has grown up without wearing scented beauty and body products in public spaces.
Brenda Marsh is the former director of occupational health services at the QEII Hospital in Halifax, Nova Scotia. She and her group developed and implemented North America’s first fragrance-free policy for a hospital in 1991 and went on to do the same for the entire city of Halifax, including a voluntary ban on scented products in public schools, libraries and buses. Now voluntary anti-fragrance policies are the norm in most workplaces, churches, schools and public spaces in the entire province of Nova Scotia. Marsh’s policies serve as the original model.
TheDailySmell

Marketing and advertising. That's a pretty shrewd!

After I retire...you can forget about me wearing antiperspirant anymore. I plan to be outside all the time...sweating. And it won't matter.

I use it on my feet in the summer when I wear sandals a lot, so they don't sweat. I use ordinary stuff under my arms. Some medical person told me that the clinical stuff would work better on my feet, and so it would seem.

Do you use the same deodorant stick for your feet and under arms?

To let everyone breathe easy, deodorant can serve a purpose, but antiperspirant is one of the more unnecessary things IMO. What's the point? Plug up a natural process so one can say, "Look at me, I'm the only human on the planet who doesn't sweat!" as if the rest of us are gonna believe it?

GrayHare said:
To let everyone breathe easy, deodorant can serve a purpose, but antiperspirant is one of the more unnecessary things IMO. What's the point? Plug up a natural process so one can say, "Look at me, I'm the only human on the planet who doesn't sweat!" as if the rest of us are gonna believe it?

For me, deodorant and antiperspirant go together like my morning coffee and newspaper. Every once in a great while I don't pay attention to what I buy and then notice something doesn't feel right. Then I realize I bought just deodorant. It goes straight to the trash can and I go back to the store. :)

No, I use the ordinary stuff under my arms. Only do the fancy $$ on my feet in the summer when I don't wear socks.

And apparently there are all kinds of people who don't use deodorant because of the aluminum or something. I rode with a very hippie crowd to a hooping event last summer and was astonished to learn there was such an anti-deodorant crowd. They only use anti-perspirant. I never even noticed you could buy one without the other.

redduck said:

My feet don't smell now because they are never trapped in dress shoes and colored socks anymore. But when they did occasionally bark back in the day I would do this trick a couple times a year and it worked like magic... I would soak them in a bleach/Warm water solution for 5-10 minutes. That freshened them up real quick and lasted for several weeks at a time. Learned that from a friend of mine and it worked for him so I tried it. Now, I don't wear dress shoes and dress socks anymore so problem is gone.

Oh and mostly it is the sweat that bothers me in summer with my feet. They don't really smell (I don't think) so I use the antiperspirant to stop the sweat in summer. With socks in winter it is no problem.

No, I use the ordinary stuff under my arms. Only do the fancy $$ on my feet in the summer when I don't wear socks.

And apparently there are all kinds of people who don't use deodorant because of the aluminum or something. I rode with a very hippie crowd to a hooping event last summer and was astonished to learn there was such an anti-deodorant crowd. They only use anti-perspirant. I never even noticed you could buy one without the other.

Ah, I think anti-perspirants contain aluminum (or something). As I recall, way back in the day, there were some deodorants that did not contain aluminum, but then again, I think research started showing it just didn't matter--aluminum-free or not.

From wikipedia:

Deodorants combined with antiperspirant agents are classified as drugs by the FDA.[1] Antiperspirants attempt to stop or significantly reduce perspiration and thus reduce the moist climate in which bacteria thrive. Aluminium chloride, aluminium chlorohydrate, and aluminium-zirconium compounds, most notably aluminium zirconium tetrachlorohydrex gly and aluminium zirconium trichlorohydrex gly, are frequently used in antiperspirants. Aluminium chlorohydrate and aluminium zirconium tetrachlorohydrate gly are the most frequent active ingredients in commercial antiperspirants.

And, hey, in my opinion, this is a way better thread than the one with the guy who wants his investment strategy to be attacked.

I am just amazed that most of you put this stuff on your skin every day and leave it to be absorbed.

I am just amazed that most of you put this stuff on your skin every day and leave it to be absorbed.

Do I remember reading that you are a doctor? Do you believe it is harmful?

I can't imagine NOT wearing it every single day. I would probably be as likely to go out grocery shopping minus shirt and shoes as I would without deodorant..
:cool:

Back
Top Bottom