A solution for our USPS

thefed

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
The article I just read says they are raising everything (stamps, parcel post, etc) about 5% - which takes the 2011 expected debt from 7.xx billion down 2.xx billion.

My solution - raise the cost of postage enough so they have a surplus and dont have to raise it for a few years...maybe raise stamps to a whopping $.55...gasp.

I use stamps so rarely now that I don't even know what they cost anymore.

I use stamps so rarely now that I don't even know what they cost anymore.

Evidently, that's the problem. Everyone is paying their bills online.

The postal service is becoming the modern equivalent of another rural electrification agency. We will continue to pay well past the agency's usefulness.

Hey, if they raise the price on everything maybe it'll cut down on my junk mail:whistle:

I think the USPS is the only agency that has a fully loaded p&L - it includes health, retirement, etc. expenses. I think other agencies - Amtrak - do not include such costs.

Is the USPS subsidized by tax dollars?

No, but as a quaisi-govt organization, they are now allowed to raise prices on stamps without approval of Congress. So, they are allowed to raise their prices to whatever they want within reason. So, throw in a monopoly and the ability to raise your prices whenever you want, and its a mess, and they still can't make a profit..........it's a broken system........

I should have stocked up on enought Forever Stamps to last the rest of my life.

The article I just read says they are raising everything (stamps, parcel post, etc) about 5% - which takes the 2011 expected debt from 7.xx billion down 2.xx billion.

My solution - raise the cost of postage enough so they have a surplus and dont have to raise it for a few years...maybe raise stamps to a whopping $.55...gasp.

They could double dip the chip. Warn everyone to buy Forever Stamps now before prices get jacked up really high. Folks will run towards buying these stamps and folks who don't get socked with the new higher prices.

Sort of like I-bonds with no tax consequences, "redeemable" [-]42[/-] [-]44[/-] 46 cents at a time.

I only got about 150 left when they were 42 cents.

No, but as a quaisi-govt organization, they are now allowed to raise prices on stamps without approval of Congress. So, they are allowed to raise their prices to whatever they want within reason. So, throw in a monopoly and the ability to raise your prices whenever you want, and its a mess, and they still can't make a profit..........it's a broken system........
I know nothing about this, but just heard on the Nightly Business Report that rate increases must be approved by the "independent postal regulatory commission".

And you know exactly how long that will be :whistle: :confused:

No, but I can make a pretty good guesstimate. If I live 30 more years, which is reasonable, and I use about 20 first class stamps a year, I'd need (30 * 20) - 100 = 500 more stamps :D

Can't believe now I'm actually calculated how many stamps for the rest of my life. :(

Back
Top Bottom