Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-10-2021, 02:31 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
I use pre-printed address labels but handwrite a personal message in each card.
+1

We do this as well, and just hand write a personal note on the greeting or photo card (depending on which one we choose to do) for the person.

These are primarily for those our age or older, though our nieces and nephews with family will send photo cards.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2021, 02:37 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
What's wrong with pre-addressed envelopes?

If you have your mailing list in a computer, there is much less chance of error. Someone could easily transpose a couple numbers in the house # or zip.

Better that you receive that card than have it get lost, isn't it? I think you should be glad they thought enough to make the cards, and actually send one to you. Why complain about how it was done?

While a personal note, or at least a hand written signature is nicer, I would not go so far as to call having them pre-printed 'tacky'. Not at all.

I'd put much more weight on the thought and content itself. Seems to me there is a rash of people these days just looking to be offended.

-ERD50

+1!!! Very true! Just relax
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 02:54 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

I may just write "Merry Christmas and Happy New Year" on the inside of my cards. Oh, hand printed address out outside though .
Old 12-10-2021, 03:06 PM   #24

Nothing in the OP is tacky.

Personally I hate those postcard photo cards of people and their kids, except if they are family. But I wouldn't say it's tacky. The photo cards can't stand up like regular cards.

But given most people doing that are busy, raising families, working, etc., eh, it makes their life easier and we all just indulge in this ritual.

One year after opening a card I took this photo to send to my mum... Yes she picked out and sent us the same exact card, 3 years in a row.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN3261.JPG (37.1 KB, 63 views)
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 03:29 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
Nothing in the OP is tacky.

Personally I hate those postcard photo cards of people and their kids, except if they are family. But I wouldn't say it's tacky. The photo cards can't stand up like regular cards.

But given most people doing that are busy, raising families, working, etc., eh, it makes their life easier and we all just indulge in this ritual.

One year after opening a card I took this photo to send to my mum... Yes she picked out and sent us the same exact card, 3 years in a row.
I like your mum's style? A year or two ago I stocked up on some boxes of cards post Christmas. To avoid what your mum did. I created a notepad document (probably should have created a spreadsheet ) describing what card was sent to previous year so I don't do a repeat send.
Old 12-10-2021, 03:35 PM   #26

To be fair, the retail choices are weaker each year.

"for parents, actually together, not overly mush and sappy, but nice" - 1 choice. $9
"for husband, not silly, not "you're a great dad", not oh-those-hard-times-we-had" - 2 choices, hideous pictures

So, doing custom cards to avoid the hours I spent in the hallmark store (and came away empty handed), sure, it's fine.

Oh I did custom cards of my cats under the tree a couple of years. Won't feel bad if I recycle those in a few more!
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 03:38 PM   #27

I have trigger thumb and cannot hold a pen correctly. I struggled through writing little notes on the Christmas cards I wrote last night. They are barely legible.

The computer-printed address labels are a must for me.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 03:47 PM   #28
Administrator

I make no judgments about Christmas cards. If you were kind enough to send me one, I am grateful to receive it, regardless of how it is addressed, annotated or signed.
Old 12-10-2021, 04:23 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Actually, I think any card and/or envelope needs to be embossed with each letter raised up and easy to feel. Notes should be done using old ink pens and an ink well. And each note should be illuminated like the ancient monks used to do when copying the Bible by hand.

Or, just print a label and include a short note that show genuine interest in those who receive the card.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 04:43 PM   #30

I've not looked into it, but I imagine Christmas photo cards can be automated at Kinkos or similar online service. "Upload your photo and mailing list, and we'll send cards so you don't have to." To me, the result has an advertising or robocall feel to it.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 04:43 PM   #31

I thought I would to Christmas cards this year since I have the time but nope (too busy enjoying not working... I am more busy than ever doing "nothing." 5 months in and I don't know how working people do it)! Social media kind of fills in the "catching up on our lives thing." Next year I'll try to make more of an effort. In the past, I typed mine and had a boilerplate but always customized it a bit to fit the person/common interest.

I don't think any of the OP's post is tacky but personalized is valued more by me than just being on your newsletter list (why I edit my boilerplate for each).
Old 12-10-2021, 04:50 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

In the cards I send to young people, I have to remember to print the words as many can't read cursive.
Old 12-10-2021, 04:57 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
In the cards I send to young people, I have to remember to print the words as many can't read cursive.

Cursive has served it's purpose. It's a dying skill with no modern need. Putting ink on paper (even with a printer) is fading. I've hit the point where more and more, I watch the changes with a slight detachment and just enjoy it as I do other history even though it is the future's history in the making.

I learned cursive but other than my signature I don't ever use it and then the first letter is block and I do cursive for the rest.
Old 12-10-2021, 07:41 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Is it tacky to send a Christmas card with a pre-addressed recipient label?

Or how about photo Christmas cards but with no writing? Not even a written "Merry Christmas and Happy New Year" (which is considered tacky too if only that's written).

I get a card every year from a brother. Photo of his family, pre-addressed envelop. Nothing written. Oh, my street name spelled incorrectly for about 10 years and still going .
these days we generally don't send Christmas cards...at least not as many as we used to (100+). these days less than a handfull. back in the day my wife and I used an 'assembly line' method of writing a sentiment in the card and signing her name. (her) and me signing, stuffling the card in the envelope, sealing and affixing the postage (pre-peel and stick stamp days). we had so many cards that I developed a database and used our PC to print recipient and return address labels. we occasionaly will receive a card from a person with a computer printer label and think nothing of it. most of the cards we receive simply say 'Merry Christmas', 'Happy Holidays' and the like and then a signature. again, no big deal for us.
Dispatcher, then shift supv, then administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 04:41 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

My DGF sends them out with pictures and personalized messages. If she didn't do it, I would not.
Old 12-11-2021, 06:48 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Since I am now retired, I/we have been sending out hand wrote Post Cards, Cards and Letters to folks.

It must have 20 years or more since the last time I had hand wrote a letter or card - ha !

I'm enjoying trying to write legibly since I had scribbled notes as fast as I could write at work for the last 40 some odd year and my handwriting was very poor - like a drunk Chickens scrawling....

I find it sad that many of todays younger folks can't read or write Cursive much at all or very little. I have been told many schools do not teach cursive hand writing anymore.

Postage has sure gone up.... I had some of the first few letters and cards returned because the stamps I used was old - ha !
gamboolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 07:13 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

My first year out of college, in 1975, I was living 5 hours away from the extended family and others had scattered already. I sent out cards with a hand-written letter in each. In 2003 I started adding a page of pictures from the year. Last year I gave up on the cards. Everything seemed to be printed in China. Not buying from China. So, I now do a page of pictures and 2-page letters. This year there will be 30. It means that I don't have to put on a happy face for the whole world- I can acknowledge challenges with some people if it's been that kind of year, and my friends who have never met my family don't get extended updates on people they don't know. Every year I get notes from one or two people telling me how much they look forward to my annual mailing.

I feel kind of meh about commercially-bought cards carrying nothing but a signature- a picture is nice but a personal note is even better. No problem at all with pre-printed address labels.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 07:23 AM   #38
Full time employment: Posting here.

My DW sends out the few cards that we do. On the ones we send to our immediate family she will write a little note ,sign her name and then give it to me to sign. If I were to try to write a long note with my left handed chicken scratch it would not be at all readable. As I'm typing this on my laptop I just noticed one of the ads that opened up on the right was from Shutterfly reminding me that they can do all these wonderful Christmas cards for me!
Venturer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 08:25 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

We should just be happy that we are remembered and thought of. Some don’t get holiday cards.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 08:26 AM   #40

Our Christmas card list is down to about 5 and that is for my wife's children and grandchildren. We get cards from them too. The rest come from colleges, car dealers, and anyone else that wants a donation from us.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote